Airdrop Confirmation Support

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by tacotime, Jan 6, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. tacotime

tacotime Hero Member

Dec 7, 2015
    As long as you've verified the seed generated and it matches the address in keys.txt (first line), you're good to go - assuming that's the address you've entered on the confirmation page. You will then use that seed in the future to create your wallet. As far as I know, there's no need for the ID in the future, but keeping good records can't hurt.

zero likes this.
  2. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    OK then I am good to go. Waiting for wallet creation and more to come. I will keep and backup everything safely.

Also for the record at least in my case First address and Extended public key are showed both - one beside the other - on the first line of keys.txt using Windows Νotepad.

3. Michael Crego

Michael Crego Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Male
    Florida

I posted before the issue I am having with not being able to complete the process for generating the address. I should never be considered a computer whiz. Since my last post I poked around a little and was able to locate the dcraddgren file, but everytime I open it, it gives me a new seed, I type OK and the window disappears, but no keys.txt file. I followed the path Settings/System/Storage/ This PC (C:)/Temporary Files/dcraddrgen

This is when a new seed pops up in the window, then window disappears. It doesn't produce keys.txt file in the same window as I thought it was supposed to do. Could you help a computer semi-illiterate with specific direction as what to do from this point. Also which seed am I supposed to keep? I've written down a couple of them. Sorrry to bother you so much, just trying to get this done because I really believe in the project. Thanks for your time

4. NoOneHereYet

NoOneHereYet New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 10, 2016
    Male

Can't get verify to work, everything went smooth no issues otherwise just can't get it to confirm. Any suggestions?

5. tacotime

tacotime Hero Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Post your error message, so we can help.

6. NoOneHereYet

NoOneHereYet New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 10, 2016
    Male

What OS are you using and what path are you running it from? You would have to check the directory of the path you are running from for the file. For example if your prompt is "something@something" ~$ you would check the "/something" directory. If it is something like "c:\Windows\Documents" you would need to check the "\Documents" directory.

7. NoOneHereYet

NoOneHereYet New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    It was kicking me back with a must be HEX number error but I just got it to work by typing it out instead of pasting it in... Thank-you for the response... May want to let others know if it kicks back an error to type the 33 words out...

Edit - should have mentioned I run Debian Sid for anyone else having the issue on an APT based distro.

8. tacotime

tacotime Hero Member

Dec 7, 2015
    You have to make sure it's a single line without any line breaks of 33 space-separated words when you verify.

9. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    #69 zero, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    Sounds like you are running dcraddrgen.exe from inside it's zip file. In Windows for example you should create a new folder and extract/unzip the files dcraddrgen.exe and verify.bat into that folder and run/open them from that folder, the keys.txt will also be generated into that folder. From that point carefully follow the instructions given. You should write down these 33 words with spaces and keep them safe and you'll better follow the optional step and verify your (First) address.

10. BreadProduct

BreadProduct New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Run as admin

11. NoOneHereYet

NoOneHereYet New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    It was always a single line even when I pasted it, the entire issue for me is it would not accept pasting the code in, it had to be typed. I know because I tried again after getting the confirmation and it gave me the error again, retyped it again and it worked fine for a 2nd time...

For the record this is the exact error message I get when I paste the words in... "Invalid seed specified. Must be a hexadecimal value that is at least 128 bits and at most 512 bits"

12. Michael Crego

Michael Crego Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Male
    Florida
    Thanks for the reply, but you must have missed the part about semi-computer illiterate. Could you explain better please. Maybe show me the path to follow to do what you are suggesting. I'm marketing/investing guy. I leave programming to people knowledgeable in the area. thanks

13. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    #73 zero, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    Well although I find the instructions very clear, I'll try to make them for "dummies". For Windows users only:

1) Find out if your Windows version is 32 or 64 Bit by looking at your Windows Info or right clicking to Your Computer or This PC -> Properties. If you can't find it at any way try both of dcraddrgen versions to check which will work.

2) Download 64-bit or 32-bit of dcraddrgen, matching your Windows version. If you can't even find the download folder, on your browsers downloads tab right click on the file and choose open containing folder or open in folder. There you must find the .zip file you downloaded containing dcraddrgen, right click on it and copy or cut that file.

3) Create a new folder somewhere on your pc (right click -> New -> Folder) and paste the zip file there (right click -> paste with left click of course).

4) If you have a program like 7-zip, PeaZip, WinRAR, WinZip installed on your computer right click on the .zip file and choose extract here if not right click on .zip file and choose Extract All... then on the location, if it's different that the folder you created use browse... to point the folder you created for dcraddrgen and click extract. Now in that folder you'll see dcraddrgen.exe and verify.bat

5) Open or double click on dcraddrgen.exe and then a command prompt window running dcraddrgen.exe will appear(a black window with letters) . If nothing appears you might have to right click on dcraddrgen.exe and choose Run as administrator. Into that window you can see at some point 33 letters with spaces(uppercase and lowercase matters). Write down these letters carefully on a paper correctly and keep them safe. (Someone may find it better to keep them digitally into a text file or even take a screenshot). Then type OK with capital letters and press 'Enter' on your keyboard once.

6) The window will close and a text file named keys.txt will be created in the same folder the dcraddrgen.exe exists.

7) Open keys.txt and find your Decred address in the first line. The following is an example address for reference:

First address DsajTunZpgBE7ThpkUU7JbT3CUp242H9boe (example address taken from the instructions)

8) The extended public key and your seed(those 33 words) must be kept secret, and store the file somewhere safe. They will be needed in the future for creating a wallet, generating future addresses, etc.

9) Optional so as to be sure about your address and seed -> Run or double click verify.bat and type into the command prompt window appeared these 33 words(seed) in the same line(no paragraphs/"enters" but with spaces) and then press Enter once. Your first address should appear again. Verify and make sure this first address appeared is the same one as the one in your keys.txt text file and then close that window.

10) Select your address in your keys.txt text file and copy it. If you can't even do this just google about it.

11) Finally go again to your invitation link(the one on your e-mail) at your internet browser, paste your address there and check again if it's correct. Read the checkboxes details (?) carefully and if it's valid for you check them and click submit.

12) If everything went as it should something like that will appear:

"Decred Airdrop Confirmation
    Success! Airdrop confirmed!
    Successfully added Decred address xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to the Airdrop. Your confirmation id is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .
    You may revisit this link to change youraddress if you wish/need to."

Hope all the above will help you and maybe other novice Windows users as well. If anyone find something wrong please post.

Of course I don't take any responsibility if something will go wrong with your submission to Airdrop, your Decred address or any problem may occur with your Decred activities in general. I just post this to help very novice Windows users.

If the administrators think that post is wrong please delete it.

daw, Scott Briggs, kirigi and 6 others like this.
  14. Michael Crego

Michael Crego Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Male
    Florida
    Thanks worked perfectly. I'm not completely computer illiterate, it's just not my area of expertise. Also my computer just updated to Windows 10, of which I have zero familiarity. Different people study different things. You chose computers(smart move by the way), I chose money. Either way, we both attain our goals, although down different pathways. Here's to success to all involved with this project! My assistance will come with the marketing and awareness of the program throughout much of the US, through personal contacts I have made throughout the years.

The directions were very clear and concise. Extremely helpful. Greatly appreciated. Even a dummy like me could understand.

15. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    @jolan: Might be worthwhile to make use of @zero's instructions for Windows above for the next round as long as he doesn't mind. As Michael pointed out, I think they're very clear and cover all of the reported problem areas thus far.

zero likes this.
  16. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    I totally understand you. No worries. Glad to help. I used the expression for "dummies" not to offend anyone but to clear out that although I find the instructions very clear and simple I'll try to make them even more easy for the more novice Windows users.
    As long as they are helpful I don't mind. But everyone can find them in this Airdrop Confirmation Support thread anyway.

17. NoOneHereYet

NoOneHereYet New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 10, 2016
    Male

Perhaps they should make it a sticky/pinned post just so it doesn't get lost in the pile of others... I mean I'm pretty sure this thread is going to get fairly long in the next couple weeks and the average user doesn't read from beginning to end on every thread....

18. DiabloII

DiabloII New Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Female
    I make everything what you write in info and Successful address generation! I am happy girl :rolleyes:

19. Rory

Rory New Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    I'm using ubuntu mate but the file is unresponsive - no visible change when i click on it. Ive tried dragging in onto a termianl window - no effect as well - ubuntu mate 15 64 bit

20. NoOneHereYet

NoOneHereYet New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Are you downloading the right version? Did you unzip the file before dragging it? Do you have the go files installed? Do you have the path set? Do you get any response at all, if so do you have the error message?

jimmy16 likes this.