Airdrop Confirmation Support

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by tacotime, Jan 6, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Biometric

Biometric New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    College
    USA
    Luckily I got everything setup without any issues. I see a lot of potential here and I'm looking forward to the official launch! Cheers :D

2. tdokta

tdokta New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    thanks for the setup directions, very easy to follow and easily set up. now awaiting further instruction on how this operates and staking some currency. great to have things easily built,

3. hunter012

hunter012 New Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Male
    Just to confirm, the 'First Address' is a public key that people can send coins to? (in addition to airdrop). And the extended public key is not really a public key because we want to keep it private?

Scott Briggs likes this.
  4. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    The extended public key is derived from the seed which you wrote down and verified. It is used in order to deterministically generate all of your addresses including the first address you're referring to and providing for the air drop. The reason you want to keep your extended public key private is simply for privacy because anybody who has it would be able to generate all your addresses just like you can and therefore easily identify all of your transactions. They can't generate the associated private keys for the addresses though, so they couldn't spend/steal the coins, but they identify them and therefore know your complete transaction history and coin balance.

Yes, technically people can send coins to the first address in addition to the airdrop, but address reuse is a really bad idea in general, so you don't want to do that. Once the wallet is released, you'll be able to generate more than the first address from the extended public key.

David, tacotime, eshriek and 2 others like this.
  5. hunter012

hunter012 New Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Male
    Thanks Dave you really cleared it up for me

Freemind likes this.
  6. johnmbillings

johnmbillings New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    I saved my seed but was unable to save the keys.txt. It's not outputting to the directory of the generator, and it won't accept ~/keys.txt either. Using OSX El Capitan. I was able to generate the first address off of the seed using the verify command, however without the public key, will I be stuck?

7. tdokta

tdokta New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male

try searching for the keys.txt in spotlight . i had a similar issue, but spotlight found the file as it had been created and sent somewhere else

8. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Male
    Project Manager / Business Consultant
    Hamburg, Germany
    This worked out for me as well.

9. miller

miller New Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Male
    Success! Airdrop confirmed!
    Successfully added Decred address DsVq8jRmPUwW2p4X26WyEiGQR33ebN7LWZD to the Airdrop. Your confirmation id is 9072563641a21f49f2a35c54***********.
    You may revisit this link to change your address if you wish/need to.

10. SergioNero

SergioNero New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    OSX 10.10.3
    I generated passphrase and address. - OK.

But then I try to verify address by verify.command.
    I paste passphrase without trailing blank and get message -
    Input error: checksum failure: got endorse, expected revenge
    Invalid seed specified. Must be the words of the seed and at least 128 bits and at most 512 bits

Tried several times - the same result.
    What is wrong with it?

11. Blizzy

Blizzy Full Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Male
    Try to do the test with the pass frase in one single line like this : word1 word2 word3 word4 ecc....

12. johnmbillings

johnmbillings New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Thank you. Unfortunately I had already tried that and the file doesn't exist. Unfortunately, I already submitted the address that I got from using the verify for the air drop. It may have been a permissions problem from the folder that I launched the generator from. I can try running it again, but unfortunately I've already submitted an address for the air drop. Is there a way to do a recovery based on the passphrase alone?

13. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    All you need is your seed. That is what you'll import into wallet software.

tacotime and hitlxp like this.
  14. anondran

anondran Full Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Jan 13, 2016
    Male
    I think you can resubmit an address again by visiting the confirmation link again and submitting the new address.

15. rahmad

rahmad New Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Male
    Thank's sir :)

16. SergioNero

SergioNero New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Sure I made it one line!
    Is there other way to test?

17. endevite

endevite New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I was thinking about it, and I wonder, would it be a good idea to have it include the seed in the keys.txt output, instead of just the first address and extended key?

I question it since on win platform anyway, not a lot of people are familiar with mark selecting in a command window to get the seed string and pasting it to a txt so they don't lose it. (edit: I wonder how many people don't realize they don't have their seed and had submitted their address not knowing it wasn't stored in keys.)

18. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    The problem is putting the seed in the file makes it an extremely ripe target for theft. Imagine if every airdrop participant ended up with a file named keys.txt in the same place on the hard drive with the seed that can spend every single coin you will ever receive. That would be like hacker's heaven.

tacotime likes this.
  19. endevite

endevite New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Valid point for data scouring nasties, the real question is though that I'm worried about, is how many people who managed to get on the invite have their seed and know it wasn't stored to even a custom path. Will this be a different problem than the worry of theft if they can't submit a new address after the 25th after realizing they have no control over the address they submitted due to not having their seed.

I just worry this could lead to set backs since there was no verify proof requirement on the submission (could be a verify confirm key thing return after running the verify switch on dcraddrgen) to ensure people do in fact have their seeds or even a where do you want to store the output prompt for seed.

(Like what if only 30% of the submissions actually have their seeds saved, what happens then)

20. anondran

anondran Full Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Jan 13, 2016
    Male
    People have always been warned and prompted to save seed text somewhere safe and Devs too have been repeatedly insisting that since the beginning.
    So, I guess it's like not wearing a helmet or a seatbelt when you are supposed to wear during driving, which could save your life.

David and tacotime like this.