Airdrop Confirmation Support

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by tacotime, Jan 6, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. endevite

endevite New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Right, I just wonder if it's a good idea to also have a path/filename prompt for the seed as well is all. You're going to be storing it to a file somewhere, why not add it to the output process to reduce chance of someone not realizing it isn't in the keys output. Not everyone reads it all as they go, I am sure many submissions were rushed outputs. ;p

I just worry there will be a set back if a large sum of invites did it wrong and a bunch of coins end up trapped behind wallets with no seed.

anondran likes this.
  2. LastNinja

LastNinja Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    When people are supposed to be their own bank, people must take responsibility for their actions!

What do you suggest, a seed reset sent in plain text to an email address after you enter the name of your pet? :D
    You lose the private keys and the seed ---> bad luck

I too expect lots of airdrop coins to go into black holes this time.

ClokworkGremlin and sambiohazard like this.
  3. LastNinja

LastNinja Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    Devs could delay airdrop transmissions until airdrop participants install the official wallet and import the registered address via the seed. Submitted addresses which don't get imported into wallets within a deadline are considered black holes and won't receive funds.

4. Lee Sharp

Lee Sharp Sr. Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Independent Consultant
    Houston, Texas
    I do agree that doing something to make sure people can actually access their coins before the airdrop makes sense. There is no point in dropping a lot of coins into black holes.

Michael likes this.
  5. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    We'll have a page up tomorrow where people can verify their addresses with a reminder that their seed is needed to generate a wallet that contains the address that they submitted and instructions on how verify their seed.

Inevitably some funds will be inaccessible but we'll be doing as much as we can to lower the percentage.

Michael, tacotime and ClokworkGremlin like this.
  6. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    On the one hand, yeah, it's kind of unfortunate.

On the other hand, if the cost of learning to take responsibility for your actions is a couple-hundred crypto-coins, then I would say that is a cheap lesson indeed.

tacotime likes this.
  7. endevite

endevite New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I would agree that the lessons learned for responsibility are important, however this is the start of the new currency, and the less problems it gets in it's infancy the better. ;p

I for one am glad they will implement some sort of "hey make sure you actually have your seed" thing just so we start with a minimal amount of blackhole coins, as those wouldn't do much good for smooth start for the coin in general.

8. Aniara

Aniara Jr. Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Female
    Etiennien
    Did such a page materialize or is it still in the works?

9. tacotime

tacotime Hero Member

Dec 7, 2015
    You can visit your confirmation link and see the Decred address recorded in the airdrop database.

10. Karman

Karman New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Sr. System Administrator
    Spain
    Is the same link mailed to post our generated addresses. The form has dissapeared and now only your public address is shown.

11. Pharaoh

Pharaoh New Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Male
    Is there a step-by-step guide on the whole process from generating address to receiving coins?

12. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Wouldn't be relevant at present if there was. Airdrop signups have been closed since the 18th and finalized as of the 25th, so if you didn't get that done already it's too late now, but there aren't currently any wallets to track sending and receiving coins, nor is there a mainnet blockchain.

13. LewiesMan

LewiesMan New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Male
    The tortoise beat the rabbit in a footrace - anyone know this story? Well... A cocky rabbit challenged a wise tortoise to a footrace... winner takes all! So sure he'd win the rabbit stopped half-way and took a nap! The tortoise however persisted and kept going... a while late the rabbit was woken from his slumber by a cheering croud, He realized it was the spectators at the finishing line... He dashed as fast as he could but a las
    he was too late... the tortoise got the last laugh as his determination steered him over the finish line the winner! The moral of the story: never give up! Winners never Quit, and Quiters never win!, Just because you were late(or not) for the airdrop doesn't mean you won't be able to still benefit from Decred...

14. Layle

Layle New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    I just need to go to the website linked in the mail and enter my generated address and pressing OK? That's all isn't it?

15. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Were today a day in January, yes. Unfortunately, as has been stated numerous times already, if you hadn't done this before January 25, then it is now too late. 2 weeks too late. The Mainnet launch is tomorrow, and the developers needed time to get everything in order for the airdrop, so there's nothing that can be done now.

If you'd still like to get in early, hop on over to one of the threads talking about mining, and get on that bandwagon while the hash rate is low and the rewards is still high. If the testnet is anything to go by, hashrates are going to be sky-high very quickly after launch, so you don't want to delay this time.

16. I was supposively "approved" ...now here we are = nothing no coins! :-/ whats the deal???

17. miller

miller New Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Male
    i have my seed but my address seems to be not confirmed... 0 DCR :(

18. rahmad

rahmad New Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Male
    i lost my SEED confirmation...
    i just have wallet address , public key and id...

can you help me sir ??

19. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    OWSLEYBEATS and miller, they received over 8000 applications and after getting rid of what they determined were fakes, had culled it down to a little over 3000. If your airdrop address reads as empty on the block explorer, you may have been one of the people screened out. I'd give you the same advice I gave everyone who missed the airdrop: get to mining or get to selling. Someone picked up 80 DCR earlier today for pizza, and I happen to know there's someone else working on an FPGA miner implementation targeting a $35 Spartan 6.*

rahmad: It told you to keep that key in a safe location! Losing the seed to generate your wallet is just like losing the private address for it: there's nothing that can be done. The same mathematical principals that make it difficult to steal and spend coins that aren't yours mean that attempting to recover coins from a lost address would take an estimate of over 10,000 years(with present processing power).

I made 2 backup copies and a printout for mine. Remember: Data doesn't exist until it exists in at least 2 places.

*ClokworkGremlin is not a member or representative of Decred staff, merely a user trying to enrich the community by being helpful and friendly.

sambiohazard likes this.
  20. Fakini

Fakini New Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Male
    Tech
    PT
    hi,

is anyone still waiting for the airdrop?I got the confirmation and got it imported on dcrwallet, my address appears in the explorer but the funds didn't hit the wallet yet.

Best regards