Brief Guide: Setting Up Testnet Wallet, Sending, And Receiving Coins - Os Neutral

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by anondran, Jan 28, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    There are 4 types of passwords

1. One you use with dcrd
    2. one you use with dcrwallet & dcrctl
    3. privatepassphrase which is entered at start of wallet creation and is mandatory
    4. publicpassphrase which is also created during wallet creation but is not mandatory. You can skip this one by choosing no during wallet creation process.

2. chadi

chadi New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    1. Got the dcrd one (from my example: Thisshitdonedrovemecrazy!)
    2. When did I create a passphrase for dcrwallet?
    3. Got this, ok. Same as the one in number 1.
    4. Ok so this one should be good too. (The "I cannot keep up here" passphrase)
    So am I creating the dcrwallet password (and username) in the command line below?

3. Metallicelmo

Metallicelmo New Member

Jan 30, 2016
    Male
    I started mining succesfully using these commands step by step, I thought I'd share it. some commands are capital sensitive.

start the deamon on your local pc and connect it to testnet:

1. new cmd window (leave open) --> dcrd --testnet -u user -P password --notls (make up your own user / pass)
    then create the wallet:

2. new cmd window --> dcrwallet --create
    after wallet created successfully, remember chosen private and public passwords. then new cmd window,

3. dcrwallet --walletpass YOURPUBLICKEY --dcrdusername=user --dcrdpassword=password --noclienttls --noservertls (use user/pass from step 1)
    at this point your new wallet will be opened, leave this cmd open.

4. new cmd window --> dcrctl --testnet --wallet getnewaddress --notls
    this will request a decred address and add it to your wallet, think of it as a receive address (this command will only work with wallet open in background) copy the address it gives you and save it somewhere

5. go to your first cmd window (the deamon) and close it then restart the deamon using your new walletaddress.
    new cmd window --> dcrd --testnet -u user -P password --miningaddr=PASTETHENEWWALLETADDRESSJUSTCREATED --notls (again, same user/pass as step 1)

at this point you should see the wallet processing blocks, the deamon should do the same, if you put them next to each other you should see the block count is the same.

at this point you can start mining with cgminer
    cgminer --blake256 -o 127.0.0.1:19109 -u user -p password (again, same password as step 1)

with the wallet opened up from step 3 you can check your balance:

new window --> dcrctl --testnet --wallet getbalance --notls

4. chadi

chadi New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    OK, I figured it out guys. I knew it would be something stupid...

I had spaces in my public pasphrase and it was telling me that the passphrase was an invalid format. I deleted the wallet and created a passphrase that does not have any spaces in it and now it works.

Sorry, I'm brand new to all of this and I was quite confused there for a bit. Well I still am, but it's getting better. Thanks!

5. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    For future reference, you can have spaces in the public passphrase, you just need enclose it with quotes. e.g -P "this is my password"

6. chadi

chadi New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    Ah! Thank you very much!

[​IMG]

anondran likes this.
  7. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    For reference, a new Windows cgminer binary will be released today that works properly with TLS and has a new parameter "-cert" to specify the appropriate certificate. The included start_local.bat will now include the new -cert parameter with it pointed at the default location.

In other words, once the binaries are released, I'd suggest this guide be updated to remove all of the --notls, --noclienttls, and --noservertls switches everywhere since they will no longer be necessary.

8. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    anondran likes this.
  9. anondran

anondran Full Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Jan 13, 2016
    Male
    Thanks

Guide is updated, should --testnet be removed now or later?

10. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    Thanks. Probably once mainnet goes live.

anondran likes this.
  11. Metallicelmo

Metallicelmo New Member

Jan 30, 2016
    Male
    So why would you use it with certificates if it works just fine without it?

12. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    It doesn't work fine without them when you start to split things across multiple machines.

anondran likes this.
  13. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    @anondran: FYI, I noticed the linux section still has "The --notls commands can be removed for Linux."

Looks like a holdover from before the recent notls updates.

14. Noah

Noah Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Feb 1, 2016
    Male
    Amsterdam
    #134 Noah, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Urgent question: can I request my wallet address while dcrd is still running lines?

Thanks for your fast response!

EDIT: just decided to hit enter... it seems that everything is running fine.

15. adam2312

adam2312 Jr. Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Male
    Hi anandron,
    Have you figured this one out yet? I'm wondering: prior to Mainnet, should I delete all the files I downloaded as well as the files created in my users/.../appdata/... folders, then download the official mainnet release files to start fresh Sunday after noon?

anondran likes this.
  16. anondran

anondran Full Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Jan 13, 2016
    Male
    I think the answer is Yes, you would have got a seed during your Airdrop confirmation process. Delete your current wallet and you can create a new one using that seed

adam2312 likes this.
  17. adam2312

adam2312 Jr. Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for the quick reply.

anondran likes this.
  18. anondran

anondran Full Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Jan 13, 2016
    Male
    You're welcome :)

19. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    You can have simultaneous testnet and mainnet wallets. The current build of the wallet is on testnet by default and requires the "--mainet" flag to use mainnet, however once mainnet comes out, the wallet will be on mainnet by default and will require the "--testnet" flag to use testnet just like dcrd currently does.

In other words, once the mainnet build comes out, the curent commands for dcrwallet will "magically" be for mainnet.

adam2312 and anondran like this.
  20. anondran

anondran Full Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Jan 13, 2016
    Male
    Corrected, thanks for pointing out the error