Can't Sign Into Wallet

Discussion in 'Questions' started by Btu, Jun 8, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Btu

Btu New Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    So I have signed up for airdrop and got my coins. I also set up my wallet and stuff, and transfered some coins into bittrex(this was a long long time ago). I had also saved all the information into a file in my onedrive. I later reset my pc, but I still had the information. Now I want to put more coins on bittrex, but I can't manage to log in into my wallet. I have all the information I need, but when I try to log into my acount(I tried step 7 in https://forum.decred.org/threads/br...-included-with-basic-commands-os-neutral.478/) it sais "The wallet does not exist. Run with the --create option to initialize and create it." Any help? Did I lose my wallet, or am I just doing something wrong. I would really apriciate it if you could help.

2. root

root Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Never tell your 33 word seed neither the hex to anybody. If you have them, just use the latest client and recreate from seed. See my signature.

Never tell your 33 word seed neither the hex to anybody.

Shadowlance likes this.
  3. Shadowlance

Shadowlance Full Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    As root said, so long as you have your seeds words or hex, your wallet is always available. The reason for this is that your coins are "stored" as such on any computer; they're all stored in the block chain. When you create a wallet, the seed words are used to sign a key which uniquely identifies all the transactions made to or from that wallet. Once the wallet knows which transactions are yours, it just goes through all transactions in the chain and sums your transactions in and out. What's left at the end is your available balance. So it's nothing to worry about if it can't find your wallet. Just remake it with wallet --create and when it asks if you have a preexisting seed, say yes and enter it and it will scan the chain and rebuild your transaction history and balance.

Of course, if you've lost your seed words and hex (you only need one to reconstruct) then you're SOL and cannot retrieve your balance.

4. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    As Shadowlance said, the best thing to do is to recreate your wallet using the 33 word seed. I just wanted to add that you can use the wallet.db file if you still have it to access your funds, as long as you remember the wallet password you set. I'm going to assume you're on Windows.... and unless you backed up your entire C drive to your Onedrive, the odds of you having the wallet.db file are slim. The file exists in a hidden directory "C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Dcrwallet\mainnet\"
    If you have the wallet.db file in your backup, great. Just drop it back into the directory listed above and launch dcrd and dcrwallet. If you don't have it, the only option is to use your seed to recreate the wallet file with dcrwallet --create.