Cgminer Freeze After ~30minutes

Discussion in 'cgminer' started by broflovsky, Mar 9, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. broflovsky

broflovsky New Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    I have one sapphire 280x, on windows server 2008, and no matter how many times i close cgminer window, it always freeze after ~30minutes of working... windows is ok, its working, but cgminer window don't refresh info, it just freeze.. and worker in pool is dead... what can be the problem guys?

2. Bagdar13

Bagdar13 New Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Male
    My first guess is that it is likley that the driver for the graphics card has crashed and then windows recovered, but this results in cgminer being frozen

A 280x is a very "hot" card with this algorithm, whats your temp? also after cgminer freezes does the temp and fan still update?

Also, are you overclocking or are you running stock?

Finally, whats your PSU, it is possible that a 280x will be drawing near 250 watts and if you are at the upper limit for your PSU it may "glitch" a 511 may appear next to where the temperature should be in cgminer if this is the case.

Edit: i just noticed you have a sapphire 280x, is that one of those cards with a 72C temp limit on it?

If so i expect your card is constantly throtelling performance back and forth as it exceeds its temperature level. Open Afterburner and let me know if you see the GPU activity spiking up and down.

3. broflovsky

broflovsky New Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    I mining at intensity 6 and temp is at 65 - 75c, and no in cgminer temperature and fan its not updating, its just like an image. Its not overclocked, and PSU is 650w coolermaster.

This card does not have any limits i think, because at intensity 10 it reached 85 degrees and was fine. In afterburner gpu activity is stable..

I was thinking that maybe because is windows server 2008, and driver is not stable?

4. Bagdar13

Bagdar13 New Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Male
    Ok, i have a test for you. Open 2 instances of cgminer.

On the first one disable the GPU so thats hit the g key the d key and then the number 0 and hit return.
    Then open the second instance of cgminer; run it as normal

When the second instance of cgminer crashes in ~30 min see what the condition of the first instance is.

If the first instance is still responsive, go ahead and re-enable the gpu ..i think its g then e then 0 then return.

At this point many things could happen, 1 bluescreen, 2 some other crash, 3 the word DEAD may appear on the gpu. 4) it starts mining???

Report back with what happens after you re-enable the gpu and that might give us some insight into what is happening.

I have one of the same graphics card (actually i have nearly one of every brands 280x) and it runs at like 88c with 85% fan so I am interested that yours stays so cool. (we both have early edition sapphire 280xs before the 72c limit was imposed it would seem)

I am doubting the problem is drivers, however, and this is very important, if you updated the driver make sure you deleted the .bin file that was generated with the old driver (and have cgminer make a new .bin). Usually this is not a problem but if we are getting instability its worth checking out.

5. broflovsky

broflovsky New Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    Thank you! I will check tomorrow and will write here the results!

6. broflovsky

broflovsky New Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    I have tested, and after 1hr both cgminer windows was unresponsive, but i have tried to install driver again, and was unsuccessful, but card is detected.. i think that drivers is the problem, because first time when i have installed drivers, my card have been detected but at the end of installation it said that drivers was unsuccessful installed.. i think it's not compatible with server 2008 r2

7. Bagdar13

Bagdar13 New Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Male
    Hmm sorry to hear that. Both cgminers going unreponsive is a very odd response, i was not expecting that to happen. However, it lets me pretty much rule out that the driver is crashing and then windows recovering. It also leads me to believe that the issue is not with the hardware.

Try using DDR remover to do a clean sweap of your PC and then try installing the 14.6 rc2 or the 14.9 drivers. see if they work before installing the latest crimsion edition.

8. broflovsky

broflovsky New Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    I'll try! thanks!

9. Bagdar13

Bagdar13 New Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Male
    sure and while its a long shot to be the problem remember to regenerate the .bin file every time you switch drivers