Change To Pow 50% Pos 25% Dev Subsidy 25% Do You Agree ?

Discussion in 'Questions' started by maigjj, Sep 19, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. maigjj

maigjj New Member

Sep 18, 2016
    Male
    china guang dong
    Do you agree?

2. Johnshpon3

Johnshpon3 Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Telecommunications
    Slovenia
    PoW mining not cover even electicity cost in many areas arround the world. With recent steep drop of price now is even less profitable. If you now cut PoW for almost half who will be mining any more? I think few of us who are still mining for fun would drop it immediatly and only those with very cheap or free energy would stay. That scenario is not good for network dispersion because all PoW power would stay in hands of only few.
    Your proposal come come in consediration after significant rise of DCR price.
    So my answer is NO.

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  3. BoMBeR

BoMBeR New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I agree with Johnshpon3, the cost of mining with the price drop made it unprofitable to mine.

4. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    I personally don't think it would be a good idea to mess with the distribution percentages. PoW and PoS miners are both equally important for the proper functioning of the network, however PoW miners have additional non-trivial real costs in the form of electricity and hardware. That warrants the current majority percentage of 60% in my opinion.

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  5. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    Is it possible that if we reduce POW reward to 50% miners will stop selling their decred at lower prices and that way decred's market value could go up?
    Assuming the miners remain loyal and continue mining

6. Johnshpon3

Johnshpon3 Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Telecommunications
    Slovenia
    No, they will not stop selling their decred, but they will stop mining decred. Nobody will mine at own loses for long time, thats for sure.

7. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    My question is if the cost of mining goes up then the miner will try to sell it at higher price to get a profit. And that way decred price can go up. This is wrong?

8. Halestorm

Halestorm Jr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    Data Center
    Texas, USA
    Manipulating the Decred market in this manner might produce a short term rise in value, but also could cause it to tank further, because what's the point in spending your money mining a coin that doesn't reward well? Decred's real value will be realized in the long term, as development continues and its true capabilities mature. If you value Decred, then quit worrying about its value today - hell, the only reason I pull up dcrstats.com is to look at the PoS ticket price, history and trend - and continue spending your efforts on PoS and PoW, contributing to the community, and positively spreading the word. It may be years before we see a significant rise in value.

Johnshpon3 likes this.
  9. root

root Member

Feb 3, 2016
    To increase the effort is advised ...

upload_2016-9-21_13-17-36.png

10. maigjj

maigjj New Member

Sep 18, 2016
    Male
    china guang dong
    Change To Pow 50% Pos 35% Dev Subsidy 15%