Convert Seed To Hex And Hex To Seed

Discussion in 'Technical Development' started by Satoshi, Feb 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 2017/09/23 - Decred v1.1.0 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Satoshi

Satoshi New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Male
    Cycle
    #1 Satoshi, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    If someone lost their seed can use their seed hex to restore their seed ,or if someone want to get their seed as hex can use this site is a online pgp word list converter https://warrenguy.me/projects/pgp-word-list-converter
    Be careful if someone have access to your hex can access to your seed "can steal your coins"

2. jrick

jrick Member
    Developer

Jan 4, 2016
    Male
    I would not recommend this.

First of all, you would not get the correct result. The wordlist seed encoding has an extra word at the end for a checksum. The hex encoding does not.

You should also never enter your seed into a website such as this. Seeds must remain private in order to protect the coins sent to addresses derived from the seed. If this website is creating the result for you server side, you have given your seed to a third party and your coins are not safe.

I didn't examine the site in detail, but based on the page source, I don't see any of the words from the actual word list in a script. This does not inspire confidence.

chappjc and LastNinja like this.
  3. jrick

jrick Member
    Developer

Jan 4, 2016
    Male
    chappjc likes this.
  4. Satoshi

Satoshi New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Male
    Cycle
    agree i dont test all the words,i will write a client-side code

5. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    The tool @jrick linked is already client side.

6. LastNinja

LastNinja Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    How long will it take until someone will post www.dcrseedhex2words.com, only with the best intentions of course ;)

In the big picture it won't hurt DCR (contrary to the victim unfortunately) if thieves think it is worthwhile to steal. It just shows everyone how valuable it is. Wait until the first big DCR theft will happen and make the news and then watch the price skyrocket afterwards. It's all human nature.

Edit: The editor will automatically place a link when something with www is posted and even though I click unlink later it won't get removed. Bug? I have now just pointed to nothing.

7. moo1337

moo1337 Moderator

Jul 25, 2016
    Male
    Texas
    Please listen to @jrick and do not ever enter your seed on any website; EVER!

8. jcv

jcv Full Member
    Developer

dcrwallet accepts hex or pgpword list seeds (and has for a really long time). No need to convert (and definitely never use a website to convert).