Daemon On Android/ios Arm Platform

Discussion in 'Technical Development' started by Szfinx, Nov 21, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Szfinx

Szfinx New Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Male
    United Kingdom
    As almost everyone nowadays who is interested in cryptocurrences has a smart phone. Wouldn't it be advantageous if you make the daemon and or the wallet compatible with Android/iOS/WP on ARM platform so almost everyone would be able to run it on their phone? That would add a lot more potential investors, public nodes and just generaly more people into the Decred community.

Is it a possible way forward?

2. jy-p

jy-p Sr. Member
    Organizer

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    There are serious complicating factors to running a full node on a phone. Even though the Decred chain is pretty "light" at the moment, doing database operations on a phone's drive would likely be quite slow and really beat up the CPU.

Once dcrwallet has SPV support, it (and a GUI) could be ported to Android/iOS without much trouble. There is already a Copay-based wallet that runs on phones (not sure which platforms offhand).

3. N3wb1e

N3wb1e New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Europe

There are lot's of people in the world who don't own pc or laptop, but they have smartphone or tablet and they use Bitcoin or/and other cryptocurrencies. Decred will definitely reach much more people with good mobile-wallet.

chappjc likes this.
  4. Jamie Holdstock

Jamie Holdstock Jr. Member

Mar 30, 2016
    Male
    London, UK
    There is a web wallet available at https://wallet.decred.org. This is fully usable on a mobile browser regardless of the operating system and no downloading or processing of blocks is necessary - you can get up and running in a few minutes.

In the very near future I plan to wrap this up into a native Android app to hopefully boost Decred's mobile accessibility further. I'm not an iOS developer but I'm fairly sure this can be done for Apple as well - any takers? ;)

In the longer term SPV (Simplified Payment Verification) will be added to Decred and this will enable much more efficient mobile wallets to be created: they will be able to run without having to download and process the entire blockchain. I wouldn't expect this to be delivered any time before mid 2017 though...

chappjc, shoshin and N3wb1e like this.
  5. N3wb1e

N3wb1e New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Europe
    Web-wallet is available, but still best option for mainstream is good, simple use wallet, which can be downloaded easily from application-store. Making application is very good idea. Smartphone and tablet users are the mainstream.