1. 2017/06/21 - Decred v1.0.5 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
    Dismiss Notice

Dcr.stakeminer.com - Pay What You Want!

Discussion in 'PoS Pools' started by woot, Apr 17, 2017.

1. woot

woot
    Expand Collapse
    Pool Operator (PoS)

Still highly available. Still spread across multiple cloud providers. Now subsidized.

Pay what you want! Minimum % set to 0.1%. You can change the setting any time you'd like and match what you'd like to donate to the stake pool. Pay whatever you think a stakepool is worth to you!

Good luck folks. I'll shut off sign-ups if the pool exceeds 20%.

https://dcr.stakeminer.com

For those looking to make direct donations, you can use this address:
    Dsn39V5nPe6yERQAwe2Ci7YCC1XgB6Hx7Hi

#1 woot, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    antiplex likes this.
  2. woot

woot
    Expand Collapse
    Pool Operator (PoS)

This will also serve as a support thread. If you'd like private assistance, you can email admin@stakeminer.com.

Current Issues

None

Resolved Issues

Issue 1. It was brought to my attention that Paymetheus and Decrediton do not allow a custom pool fee to be entered.

Solution:

You may now update your fee on the Stakeminer site and it will propagate to your client. To do this, simply go to: https://dcr.stakeminer.com/settings and set your desired pool fee, then restart your client to ensure the new fee is refreshed on your client. That's it!

The work around for this is to either manually donate to the donation address (see the first post) or to use a custom pool.

In order to use a custom pool, you would put the Dc address as the voting address, the Ds address as the pool fee address, and set the pool fee to whatever you'd like to pay the pool (the example below represents 4%). You can find these addresses at https://dcr.stakeminer.com/tickets under Step 3.

#2 woot, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 10:14 AM
  3. adam2312

adam2312
    Expand Collapse

This is great news!

Why was 20% chosen as the sign-up limit? I'm thinking 5% is better for decentralization. If you'd agree, maybe 10% is a reasonable balance?

4. woot

woot
    Expand Collapse
    Pool Operator (PoS)

Thanks Adam, we'll see how it goes... but I suspect this pool will become a discount, lower cost higher volume pool. If folks contribute enough, I'm happy to cap it lower. I do hope everyone pays what they think a highly available pool is worth to them. It'll be interesting to see, I'm going to work on some reporting from the blockchain on the fees and will post some aggregates once things get rolling.

adam2312 likes this.
  5. Noah

Noah
    Expand Collapse
    Advocate (Twitter)

This is an amazing idea. With this act you will become a true Decred legend

6. Shadowlance

Shadowlance
    Expand Collapse

Just so you know, at 0.01% you'll lose all of your income to transaction consolidation.

7. woot

woot
    Expand Collapse
    Pool Operator (PoS)

I like to think that folks will pay what a pool is worth to them and not just pay the minimum.

Noah likes this.
  8. Shadowlance

Shadowlance
    Expand Collapse

Well, just keep in mind the consolidation costs. I think the other pool owners did the numbers and anything below 4% gets significantly eaten up by transaction fees.

9. jet

jet
    Expand Collapse

So it means in CLI language we can do

Code:
    purchaseticket "default" 50 1 DcExampleAddr1For2Demo3PurposesOnly 1 DsExampleAddr1For2Demo3PurposesOnly 0.01

10. woot

woot
    Expand Collapse
    Pool Operator (PoS)

Yes, that would set your pool fee to the bare minimum of a hundredth of a percent. If you are intending to send 1%, then you would simply set it to 1. The instructions can be found:

https://dcr.stakeminer.com/tickets

11. anvoice

anvoice
    Expand Collapse

I think this will be an interesting social experiment. You'll probably get some "seeders" and a ton of "leechers", so this could be a balloon trying to float a tractor. Wish you luck though, it would be nice to see it succeed.

Noah likes this.
  12. gratefulcheddar

gratefulcheddar
    Expand Collapse

Might it help that the minimum transaction fee is getting dropped to .001 DCR/kb?

13. woot

woot
    Expand Collapse
    Pool Operator (PoS)

Stakeminer has been upgraded and voting preferences can now be set. When logged in, you'll find a new Voting tab at https://dcr.stakeminer.com/voting.

Please note that actual voting is coming soon.

14. antiplex

antiplex
    Expand Collapse

woot, thanks for your efforts to bring another PoS-Pool to the community! I was preparing for my first ticket-buys yesterday and signed up at stakeminer. after confirming my account I tried to enter one of my acounts addresses pubkey-addr into my stakeminer account in order to get the redeem script but could not manage to get that as al I got was an empty page with a title containing 'error'.

so are all systems up and running so far?

as I am new to PoS I wonder if I might have misunderstood something and picked a wrong accounts pubkey-addr or anything like that leading to the error. further details to my setup can be found in my post in the newbie-PoS-guide-thread.

#14 antiplex, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  15. woot

woot
    Expand Collapse
    Pool Operator (PoS)

Hi, yes... all systems are up and running. The error you experienced was while we were rolling wallet upgrades. I'll also mention that at no time are less than 2 wallets running voting during the upgrades... however the stakepool site does not always handle this situation well and will sometimes put up an error page during certain operations. This should only happen during upgrades like this (and I'll look into why the error page did not specify we were under maintenance).

Thanks

antiplex likes this.
  16. antiplex

antiplex
    Expand Collapse

woot, thanks for clarifying, explaning and your prompt response! :)
    i've tried the same thing again and this time everything seemed to work fine so I'm good to go and see if I can grab a ticket for a reasonably priced fee soon.

now what made me wondering is how (=in what format) I'd specify a poolfee of say 4.6%. is a dot (.) sufficient or do i need to use a comma (,) to precede the decimals?

one more thing: knowing that this is not really the right sub-forum to ask I yet would like to ask you which account I need to specify with purchaseticket as also asked (but unsanswered so far in my linked post above). does it need to be the one of which i took the pubkey-address from to generate the redeem script, or can it be a different one within my wallet and does this specified account have to have a balance equal/greater than the spendlimit specified?

17. woot

woot
    Expand Collapse
    Pool Operator (PoS)

I don't believe command line uses your locale settings, so you'd use a dot.

As for the other question... you can use any account in your wallet to purchase tickets. The balance does have to be high enough to cover the ticket + transaction fees.

You can verify a ticket is purchased in the tickets tab. If for some (rare) reasons you do see a ticket in an Invalid state, we can manually override it for you so that the stakepool will vote on it... and we'll look closer at your steps.

Hope this helps

18. antiplex

antiplex
    Expand Collapse

woot, thanks to your help i was successful purchasing my first PoS-ticket which is now mature and waiting to vote in your stakeminer-pool, so thanks once more! :)
    dot seemed to work fine for specifying the pool-fee as it seems, too.

one more thing i came across: running walletinfo on my corresponding wallet gives me "voting": false which seems legit to me as the pool will handle my vote, right? what would happen if it would return true?
    i read in another thread that one can use pool-voting plus additionally (for backup/failover purposes) have his/her own wallet enabled for voting...

19. woot

woot
    Expand Collapse
    Pool Operator (PoS)

Correct. This just means that your wallet isn't currently enabled for voting. You can enable it and run it as a backup if you really want to, it won't hinder the stakepool.

antiplex likes this.
  20. nomad

nomad
    Expand Collapse

hi @woot, i am a decred newbie - how do I set pool fee when using decrediton?

#20 nomad, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017