Dcrstats.com - Decred Network Dashboard

Discussion in 'User Projects' started by Dyrk, Feb 23, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    This is very cool. I am behind a VPN and I didn't see my IP on the list, althouth it is online 24/7. I also have an Amazon VPS node running and didn't see that by it's public IP address either. What does the crawler look for to detect a Decred node?

2. chappjc

chappjc Full Member
    Developer Pool Operator (PoS)

It traverses the network by reading from each node a list of addresses of other nodes (peers I think). It then attempts connections to each newly discovered address, and if connections are successful the addresses are added to the database and the process continues until all addresses are tested. This repeats periodically, rechecking the known nodes. The nodes are scored in terms of a reliability metric, and declared good or bad.

I'm not sure why your VPS node doesn't appear. I can try to connect if you send me the IP privately.

David likes this.
  3. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    Nice! You know, it just occured to me... I have my IP address whitelisted for my Amazon VPS node so I am the only one who can access it. Trade IPs in a PM so I can whitelist yours and you can try to hit my node?

chappjc likes this.
  4. chappjc

chappjc Full Member

That explains it. You'll definitely want to edit your security group. :)

David likes this.
  5. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    I believe it's a whitelist for SSH access only... it's been submitting votes no problem since I launched it. Anything not inbound on TCP port 22 should be allowed... unless Amazon has any global restrictions on their servers.

6. chappjc

chappjc Full Member

#66 chappjc, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    The default for EC2 seems to be deny inbound. You need a rule for everything.

It's not necessary to allow inbound for you to be able to vote, dcrd just needs active peers.

Something like this is needed for inbound (just the one rule, but ping reply is probably helpful):

upload_2016-3-24_13-57-2.png

David likes this.
  7. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    On EC2, it's helpful to also set --externalip

Code:
    --externalip=        Add an ip to the list of local addresses we claim to listen on to peers

chappjc and David like this.
  8. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    #68 David, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    I've been wondering about this function... if the daemon runs on localhost by default, is this another method of seeking peers? EDIT: I suppose my main question is: who is "we"?

9. chappjc

chappjc Full Member

#69 chappjc, Mar 24, 2016
    Thanks, @jolan. I meant to mention that too. And with EC2 I'd advice to assign an Elastic IP to ensure your public address won't change when the instance restarts.

--externalip is most helpful when you are behind a firewall, NATed so your machine isn't capable of advertising your public IP address without this setting. But since you are in a VPC (virtual private cloud) with EC2, you also need the flag. Fortunately port forwarding is not an issue since you are the only one on the public IP assigned to your instance, at least out of the box.
    https://github.com/decred/dcrd/blob/master/peer.go#L378-L382

10. chappjc

chappjc Full Member

#70 chappjc, Mar 24, 2016
    You need to distinguish from the Decred block server, running on 9108, and the RPC server, running on 9109 (by default)

It's a good idea NOT to have the RPC server listening on anything but localhost. dcrd should listen on all interfaces on 9108, however. The keyword in the documentation quoted by @jolan is "claim". Your dcrd instance should advertise the internet routable address or it won't be publicly accessible, using only outbound connections.

On the other hand, you can disable incoming connections completely with --nolisten. This is implied if you use --connect instead of --addpeer when/if specifying a peer. I use --connect if I want a simple way to link a mining machine on the same LAN with another without opening up unnecessary internet connections or dealing with TLS certs or tunneling. But that creates a single point of failure.

David likes this.
  11. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Feb 21, 2016
    With the new RPC call of "getticketpoolvalue" it might be nice to show that, along with the ticketpoolvalue/poolsize to show average ticket price in the pool.

The getticketpoolvalue RPC call takes a few seconds to calculate, so you'll want to make sure it's cached!

12. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    #72 Dyrk, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Hey guys,

last few weeks I was quite busy trying to finish RFPs 2 and 3, so I didn't invest time in dcrstats. However today I deployed some old fixes, which you asked in Chat and Forum. And I've added new site section "Tutorials", read more below.

What was fixed:
    - Block with PoS suggestions is now using 30-days average ticket price (before it was all time average).
    - Block "Keep tracking mempool fees" was removed from dcrstats
    - Added block "Locked DCR in PoS-mining", it seems to be very useful for PoS and trading. Thanks @ceejep
    , where average ticket price in the pool = pool_value / pool_size
    - Now "PoW Reward Adjustment" field displays X days Y hours if there is more than 24 hours left, otherwise it displays X hours Y minutes.

And finally new big feature - Decred Tutorials.
    Now any community member can write Decred tutorial and get paid for it from Dcrstats. While I am testing this feature, payment will be not very high - 5 DCR. I'm assuming that in average to write one article takes ~ 1 hour, so 5 DCR with current exchange rate equal to 10$ / hour.
    However I saw how many of you were writing tutorials and guides even for free here on the forum :)

The main idea of this "Tutorials" section is to keep all knowledge about Decred Network in one place. We already have so many useful answers on the forum, but it's very difficult to find them in such huge amount of messages. Obviously it's just impossible to start successful marketing campaign without noob-friendly articles and tutorials. New community members will be just confused with all this PoS related stuff etc.

I am going to increase reward for the tutorials as soon as we launch PoS Pool (me and @diegox104 working together on RFP-6 ).
    Right now all investments for tutorials comes from my own savings and donations.
    I already wrote first article "How to buy Decred" (based on my own experience and great answer of @LastNinja about "Why exchanges don't deal with USD-DCR pair" here on the forum). And here is the list of other articles, which I hope to publish this month:
    So feel free to write any articles for Decred Network ;) If you think that default beta-payment of 5 DCR is not enough for your article, please contact me before you start work and we will discuss your reward. And please check other rules here: https://dcrstats.com/articles/write-decred-tutorial

eshriek, root and sambiohazard like this.
  13. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    And what is going next this month:
    - add: Decred Network Map (issue opened by @SG-O already 1 month ago. But with help of @chappjc I found a good solution)
    - remove: PoS Poolsize Chart (you guys saying that it is still useful, but the poolsize always ~ 42000 +-1500, so I want to free that space on the page and decrease your internet traffic). Let's discuss it again.
    - add: PoS Pool (RFP 6)
    - add: live multi-language support (English, Russian, Italian) for the Stake Pool

And I want to thank everyone who sends their feedback here on the forum, open github issues, write in the gitter chat and to email info@dcrstats.com. I am trying to implement all the features requested by the community ;)

.m. likes this.
  14. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    I thought the MAX / AVG ticket fee was useful. Maybe just add those two things to the small window now?

15. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    Yeah, we still have avg mempool fee, and I'll add back max mempool fee somewhere in the top section.

drunkenmugsy likes this.
  16. Shadowlance

Shadowlance Full Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    It's looking good Dyrk. dcrstats is my favouite Decred related website :) I'd like to point out that your tutorials section is basically replicating RFP-4 which includes new tutorials with screen shots for pretty much everything in your list above. You're certainly welcome to run your own tutorial section; nothing wrong with that at all. I just wanted you to be aware that there is official documentation coming that covers all these issues so that you and the community don't go to the trouble of creating duplicate guides if you don't want to.

Of course, if you're happy to go ahead with a duplicate tutorial site, please do. There is value in having multiple angles covering the same topic.

Dyrk likes this.
  17. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    Yeah, I think that it's not a problem at all. Network should be decentralized, we already saw that wiki and forum can be down.

Also there is no limits for unofficial tutorials. For example why not to write tutorial "How to setup decred trading bot on Bittrex".

drunkenmugsy and Shadowlance like this.
  18. mreichardt

mreichardt New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    St. Louis, MO
    I agree this is a great portal for Decred. I think a financial website for decred would be great as well. Something like Cyber.fund, but just for DCR.

19. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Feb 21, 2016
    I agree that the poolsize is unnecessary. I'd like to see a graph of the totalstakedDCR (or totalstakedDCR / poolsize?) over time though, but not sure how easily it'll be to recalculate it for old blocks. It should be more interesting than the poolsize plot!

20. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    There seems to some problem with the website.
    It says best block as 16 927
    while current block height is 16 949
    @Dyrk

Dyrk likes this.