Decentralised Forum

Discussion in 'Incubator' started by wyrd01, Jan 13, 2018.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. wyrd01

wyrd01 New Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Male
    Agency Care-worker (part-time computer scientist)
    South East England
    I love the theory behind decred's democratically dynamic vote-mining, it add's integrity to it's evolution..

but.. (feel free to delete this post if it's deemed too negative)

what's the point if the forum that decides what make's it to a vote.. is not decentralized..

could this be a proposal?

an add-on for the existing (and high quality) wallet that already exists.. i'm no expert coder but it doesn't seem like too much to ask considering production quality and integrity is what this is all about.

Add a open-source browser and add the forum content to the peer to peer cloud, error checks etc.. maybe only users with live tickets get to post.. i'm sure some of you would be able to better elaborate on the technical processes much better than I.

What are people's thoughts on this?

2. jet

jet New Member

Jan 29, 2017
    Web
    Politeia is built right now to address this. It's kind of a forum for posting proposals, discussing them, and voting by stakeholders on what gets funded. It will have provable censorship, anybody could prove his proposal was censored or tampered with. It is not a "fully" decentralized forum, we will start with one "instance" run by c0. But it is already a huge step forward. See the blog post and an AMA.

Politeia GUI is built usinig similar tech that is used in Decrediton wallet GUI so embedding Politeia in the wallet is possible in the future.

Finally, building a fully decentralized forum is no easy task. I don't intend to attack you with technical lingo, but just to get an idea, some major challenges include:

* Decentralized storage with spam protection and incentive to host files. Sia, Storj, FileCoin and some others I don't remember are focused exclusively on this.
    * Decentralized name system. Ethereum Name Service, Namecoin, Emercoin and a few others focused on just this.
    * Decentralized consensus protocol for all nodes to agree what is the current global version of the forum
    * Some privacy tech

If you know any project succeeded in solving all these (and many more) challenges please let me know.

3. wyrd01

wyrd01 New Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Male
    Agency Care-worker (part-time computer scientist)
    South East England
    I'm actually really impressed, politeia seems to plug the holes i was concerned about very well... an looks like it's system might be able to stretch to dispersed file storage as-well.

Annoyingly not quite ready yet though it seems.. any chance of an ETA? :)

I've been obsessively honing some ideas for quite a while now but the place needs to be able to take a lot of heat.

4. jet

jet New Member

Jan 29, 2017
    Web
    No certain ETA, sorry.

Test version is running for a few weeks now. You can check a realistically looking marketing proposal by Tai Zen. Developers are currently adding paywall spam protection. Next important piece is "snapshot voting" on proposals. You can ask for a more detailed status on Slack.

Two important dates coming are Feb 8, a second anniversary of Decred blockchain, and Feb 10, Politeia Blockchain Challenge, where teams will present concepts of their ideas how to apply Politeia beyond Decred. I don't personally think it will release by then but we may learn something from it.