Decred Address

Discussion in 'Addresses' started by S1lentB0SS, Jan 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. S1lentB0SS

S1lentB0SS New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Hi guys, i saw that some Members already use or have a Decred Adress. Do somebody nows how tho get one? Have somebody already get a Email with more information how to create a Adress with the information how to mine Decred Coins?

Yaremi and Benjamin P like this.
  2. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
  3. S1lentB0SS

S1lentB0SS New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
  4. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    As far as mining, I'd suggesting taking a look at some of the other posts in this sub-forum which discuss it. In short, there will be an e-mail with further details in the future.

DiabloII and S1lentB0SS like this.
  5. Costin

Costin Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    JavaScript
    Liverpool
    Exactly.

6. Gorei

Gorei New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    And those addresses are now ready for release or they are just for test purposes and after release we need to generate new ones? Thank for the answer.

Max Holandia likes this.
  7. tacotime

tacotime Hero Member

Dec 7, 2015
    You can generate as many as you want, but you can only submit one to the airdrop registration form. That's a new form that'll become available in the future. dcraddrgen is finalised, so there's no harm in messing with it. However, binaries will be distributed with instructions for the airdrop. It'll all come through correspondence about the project and airdrop in the future. So for now, it's just community testing, but the code is final.

salex91, Max Holandia and S1lentB0SS like this.
  8. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    I'm sure the final instructions will contain more details, but realistically you don't need to run the tool more than once. The generated file (unless you use the -noseed flag) contains the first address along with additional information that should be kept private that is used as the base for deterministically generating addresses.

In fact, I would recommend against generating multiple seeds (outside of testing purposes) because the entire point of having a seed is that all addresses are deterministically generated from that seed thereby allowing you to recover all of your addresses as long as you have the seed.

Once the wallet is released, you will be able to import the seed, and from there it will generate all of your addresses deterministically (including the first one listed in the file generated by the tool).

tacotime and S1lentB0SS like this.
  9. Johnshpon3

Johnshpon3 Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Telecommunications
    Slovenia
    There will be some more tutorials how to set-up Golang and Golang working space for Windows, maybe step-by-step? I was searching arroud and try all what can I find on internet. No result.
    Let say I set working space, how than run dcraddrgen? Sorry, but for average Joe as I'm this is too much complicated.
    Best regards.

salex91 likes this.
  10. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    #10 davecgh, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    There will be official binaries distributed along with detailed instructions for the airdrop via the various communication methods (forums, e-mail, etc) so you don't have to build the code yourself.

I would recommend waiting for the binaries since it will be much easier, however, if you really want to build the source yourself, you'd need to do the following:
    • Install Go by following the Windows Installation instructions for Go
    • Install Git for Windows
    • Launch the Git bash that was installed by the previous step
    • Enter the following commands to set your GOPATH, add its bin directory to the shell PATH, fetch, build, and install dcraddrgen to the GOPATH, and run it.
      Code:
      $ export GOPATH=/c/mygo && export PATH=$GOPATH/bin:$PATH
      $ go get -u github.com/decred/dcraddrgen
      $ dcraddrgen "$GOPATH/dcraddr.txt"
      Successfully generated seed and stored it in C:/mygo/dcraddr.txt.
      Your seed is used to spend your funds. Do not reveal it to anyone. Your extended public key can be used to derive all your addresses. Keep it private.

• As the printed text indicates, the generated seed, extended public key, and first address will then be located at C:\mygo\dcraddr.txt.

11. Costin

Costin Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    JavaScript
    Liverpool
    Very useful info, thanks!

12. S1lentB0SS

S1lentB0SS New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Great Job Mate! Thank You!

13. Johnshpon3

Johnshpon3 Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Telecommunications
    Slovenia
    Thank you very much. Today is coding day :).

salex91 and S1lentB0SS like this.
  14. mechanical

mechanical New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Succesfully generated my first Decred Address.

15. salex91

salex91 New Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Male
    Address Generated!Thanks davecgh.

S1lentB0SS likes this.
  16. Johnshpon3

Johnshpon3 Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Telecommunications
    Slovenia
    My last question, than I will rest my case ;).

I think I set up my working place, I set up System variables (under Path, last insertion is C:\Go\bin\, GOPATH is C:\mygo\bin and GOROOT is C:\Go\.
    When I run: $ go get -u github.com/decred/dcraddrgen (inside GitBush window) I got message: go tool: no such tool "compile"
    I'm doing something wrong, but can not find out what.
    Do I need to copy maps bin, src and misc to my working place (map mygo)? In that map (mygo) is currently only bin which I think was created when I run:
    export GOPATH=/c/mygo && export PATH=$GOPATH/bin:$PATH

I hope I'm not too much anoying. If it will not work for me I will wait for official one-click generator. :). It's allways good to learn something new.
    Best regards.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

17. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    Did you install Go via the .msi? It will automatically setup your system path accordingly. It looks like that part is correct though given you said you have C:\Go\bin as the last entry in your system path.

From there, you need a GOPATH set to somewhere else. In this case, I just used C:\mygo, but as long as it's not C:\Go (same as GOROOT), it doesn't really matter. I think your issue is you said you have GOPATH set to C:\mygo\bin instead of C:\mygo.

salex91 likes this.
  18. Johnshpon3

Johnshpon3 Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Telecommunications
    Slovenia
    Success!!! Manyt thanks to this awsome comunity.

Here is what I do wrong: I install GO from .msi file and than try to set workplace manually. Well, I do something terribly wrong. Than I uninstall it and delete all shit what I do from my computer.
    After than I fresh install GO from .msi and than followed davecgh's tutorial exactly step by step. It worked perfectly and flawlessly. Oh, after each step I restart my PC, maybe this is important.
    So, maybe my misery will help somebody in the future.

Thanks davecgh, you are d' man ;).

19. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    Glad to hear you got it working. For reference, there is no need to reboot in between the steps.

Johnshpon3 likes this.
  20. Johnshpon3

Johnshpon3 Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Telecommunications
    Slovenia
    Thanks.I was desperate :). Last measures to make things work.