Decred Charity, Help Robbed Man, Please Think And Vote

Discussion in 'Incubator' started by root, Mar 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
?

How much would you send ?

1. Less than 0.5 DCR

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 0.5 DCR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 0.7 DCR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 1 DCR

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. 1.5 DCR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 2 DCR

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. 3 DCR

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. more than 3 DCR

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. root

root Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Hi, just an idea to prove how strong the community is.
    Can we help robbed man to get some coins.
    Remember the strength is in numbers, almost 5000 were given coins, if hundreds can spare 1 DCR, poor robbed guy can have his stolen coins back.

Even some wealthy decred owners can come up with an offer.

What do you think ?

EDIT : I mean this guy

RegenX likes this.
  2. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Frankly in my case, it depends on who was robbed and how. In the case of this particular individual, he's displayed a lack of understanding of how certain aspects of what exactly it means to "be your own bank," and anything sent his way is probably just going to be stolen again.

There have been cases where I could see donating to get someone back on their feet being a neat thing for the community to do. This, unfortunately, isn't one of them.

knurdtech, drunkenmugsy and ZomaX like this.
  3. koolykg

koolykg Jr. Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 1, 2016
    Female
    Why do you feel that way? If he has set up his wallet and not given his seed away, maybe it would be nice to donate a DCR to him. Do you not think he learned his lesson?

4. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    The eagerness with which he tried to give his seed away after being warned that people offering to help you if you'll just give you your seed is the basic scam pattern, plus his adamant insistence on blaming every single possible entity besides himself, tells me that he's not ready for the responsibility of managing his own money without the safety net that a bank provides.

I may revise my opinion in a couple of months, but for now, I stand by what I said about the issue earlier: his money would be safer if I stole it and held onto it than it is under his control. (Which, to a degree, is exactly what banks actually do.)

koolykg likes this.
  5. koolykg

koolykg Jr. Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 1, 2016
    Female
    Well put!!!

6. eshriek

eshriek New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Being burned is something of a right of passage in the cryptocurrency world. Neo&Bee was a first for me.

The strength of the Decred community is not in providing charity. One of the strengths of most, if not all, cryptocurrencies is the expectation of self reliance.

As an alternative why not propose/start a Decred Bounty Hunter -If someone is successfully brought to justice then the party that brought them to justice receives a reward?

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  7. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    I have not blamed everyone but myself . I clearly explained what led to my desperation of giving the seed words to someone I did not know who offered to help me. I lost my seed words at first , and felt depressed and angry at myself. When I finally found the paper they were written on,
    my hope rose that I could still take part in the airdrop.
    My hopes died again when ,my correct seed words were already being rejected by a glitch at the online Decred wallet site.
    My hope returned when David contacted me via private message and helped me set up the binary wallet on my computer.
    WE scanned in the Decred balance, and I was joyful and grateful. Then the next day we found that the balance had been
    scanned out of my airdrop by the liar Jesse who had asked me my seed words.

That part was all of my fault, losing the seed words, and then being ripped off by the 'Jesse' fraudster, thinking that I was already screwed anyway. I took my chances with this Jesse character partially because the seed words were being ruled 'invalid seed'. ( Another reason that I rushed into accepting help from Jesse, the thief , was because I had already wasted people's time asking for help with my lost seed words issue, which had become complicated when I thought I had found them on my computer and they had turned out to be wrong.) When I found th e paper the seed words were written on, but they were rejected as invalid by the decred wallet site, I tried to save time for the community by rushing and accepting the help of this Jesse person. That was my error, and it was done partially because I thought I had nothing to lose.

I asked for help identifying who this Jesse was who ripped me off, to see if there was some way to get Jesse to return the coins once we knew who he was. To no avail, unless it is reported to the police. When I explained why it meant more to me possibly than it meant to others because of my difficult money situation some of you have tried to be compassionate, which I appreciate.

If any of you misconstrued my words as being blameful of the people at Decred, I am sorry you see it that way. I have always said that I am grateful for the people who created Decred.

8. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    That's an improvement.

A note of detail:
    Did you verify that the "correct" seed was being reported as invalid, or is that just what Jesse was telling you?

(I mean, we already know he's a liar, it's entirely believable he told you it had still failed while he was busy emptying your wallet)

9. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    #9 RegenX, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016

I found the seed words carefully written on paper stored with some of my more important papers three days after I had given up looking for it.

Before finding the paper, I had assumed that the seed words should and would also be stored on my computer even if the paper was misplaced.
    I could not find the seed on my computer anywhere/
    I had been sleepless with chronic pain for three solid days and nights and could not remember back the three weeks or so prior , to recall what I had done with the seed words.

I thought I had lost them, and so I created a forum thread about people who lost their seed words. JEsse contacted me then and instructed me to search from my existing (but not working) wallets and try to find the seed there.

I thought I found it online ,and sent it to him but he said it was useless, invalid.

In hindsight now, I must have written the real seed on paper during the airdrop registration as instructed, and then deleted the seed from my computer as a precaution.

I found myself having to ask the forum for help to trace what I might have done, trying to find out what we had been directed to do during the airdrop etc., made me feel bad , incompetent.

When I found the seed paper ( headed to the doctor and looking for a doctors letter and health card), I had renewed hope, and I recalled how carefully I had written it down and that I had even put with other important papers.

When I found the paper, I knew that the paper contained the perfect, valid seed words because I even checked them all on the online word list. It had the correct number of capitalized words, and it was stored with my birth certificate. I knew that I had carefully and correctly written it down.

When it was rejected as 'invalid seed', of course I retried several times. I knew it was finally the correct seed words.

So I tried closing my browser and reopening it, tried an alternative browser, tried rebooting my computer, tried searching the cookies folder on my PC to delete anything which could be interfering, tried typing in the seed words by hand, tried copying and pasting the seed words instead, of typing , and vice versa etc., and nothing would work.

I was embarrassed to return to the forum with yet another seed word issue, and tried to set up the binary wallet myself instead. I screwed that up too, mentioned it on the forum , and decided not to ask for forum help any more.

I contacted Jesse again, and sent the valid seed to him this time. and he had the same problem t hat I had. He didn't offer to help with the binary alternative or anything, so I assumed that he might have better insider knowledge of how Decred registration worked.

I thought basically I had screwed up my opportunity by
    1. waiting so long to create a wallet
    2. screwing up the first attempts to create the wallet .
    3. losing the seed paper
    4. screwing up the binary wallet

So when Jesse threw up his hands. , I thought he meant that even my valid, paper seed had been fried by all of my errors.

Later that day, DAvid contacted me and created the binary wallet for me on my PC , it even scanned in the 282 Decred but by then it was too late. The Decred had already been taken by Jesse. and the iniitial wallet scan missed it . When I checked the balance the next day, the balance was now zero, because Jesse's theft had finally gone through.

I know I should have been more careful and not made so many errors. I tried my best, I thought someone was helping me.

10. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    Y r u guys bring up a matter that was already closed up and I don't think this will help him, it will just make him feel more miserable.
    Please don't make a mockery of anyone.

11. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    I personally have a hard time replacing something that someone got for free anyway.

Tough luck kiddo. As I said elsewhere you have learned a valuable lesson. I do not think you are left with nothing.

12. koolykg

koolykg Jr. Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 1, 2016
    Female
    I agree with you, as I was hard on RegenX about giving his seed away. I also feel that he has probably learned his lesson. I feel that it is nice for someone to be willing to help someone else, especially when we live in a selfish society today!!:)

13. anvoice

anvoice Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Male
    I think everyone is a little too hard on the victim here. Basically: you had faith in your fellow man, clearly you're dumb, suck it up. Yes, it's a scam pattern to those of us experienced with these matters. But condemning him before knowing his circumstances (which he explained quite well now I believe) is harsh.

koolykg likes this.
  14. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    His circumstances were that he had been told multiple times already not to give away his 33-work seed. On the plus side, he seems to have figured it out by now, which is a huge step forward.

Being calculating is not the same a being cruel.

15. anvoice

anvoice Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Male
    Said nothing about cruelty, just think about his situation too. Acting superior due to having more tech savvy or experience than him when he probably learned his lesson already is unnecessary. There is a good community gathered here on this project, it's not right to single someone out for being basically a bit too trusting and lay it on him. One reason he probably got scammed was because he felt it was ok to trust the community here and since he was desperate when he believed his seed was invalid. I see no reason to assume he hasn't learned from this experience either (unfortunate knowledge though it may be).

koolykg likes this.
  16. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Warning someone not to do something and then saying "I did warn you." when they do that thing and bad things happen as a result is not acting superior. It is an attempt to reinforce the previous warning now that an object lesson exists.

I don't see teaching someone not to trust people as a bad thing. As a consequence to our nature as a social species, humans are, on the whole, much too trusting. A great deal of the material used to educate for security clearances involves breaking that innate trust.

RegenX does show signs that he's learned from his experience. Exactly how well the lessons have taken hold remains to be seen.

17. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male

If anyone would like to help out with some Decred donations, I am considering posting my wallet address if that would be appropriate.

18. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Couldn't hurt. I can't stop anyone from donating, and I'll even go as far as saying I won't tell other people not to donate. That's their choice to make. I will not be donating.

Put it in your signature, then it'll appear everywhere you post.

19. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    Many have posted there addresses already but no one ever donates :p
    Its a selfish world we live in.
    No harm in making it ur signature though.

20. Lee Sharp

Lee Sharp Sr. Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Independent Consultant
    Houston, Texas
    The irony of this statement when you are asking for others to give you their money. :)

Ayush likes this.