Decred Is A Scam?

Discussion in 'Seeds' started by Karmux, Feb 17, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Karmux

Karmux New Member

Feb 17, 2016
    Male
    I received 282.63795424 DCR from the Airdrop 9 days ago and in the same day everything went to this address:
    • DsT6HHadNSiv1TNcWX33XXKpnB3Tmz5iDMj
    When Googling, I found that several people have lost their DCR's to this address.

What can I say? Decred is obviously a dirty scam.

2. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Most of those people either shared there seed or used the test seed given as an example for generating their airdrop address. Did you do something like that?

chappjc and Scott Briggs like this.
  3. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Makes sense to me. If you didnt follow directions to NOT USE THE TEST SEED there is not a whole lot you or anyone can do. Sucks. Deal with it.

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  4. Karmux

Karmux New Member

Feb 17, 2016
    Male
    When I see some long 33 word random text, I assume it's not easily guessable and also there weren't a word about that I must change it to something else. I think was security issue in Decred's side to prefill it with a same (or easily guessable) sample seed for everybody. Even 333 words wouldn't have been enought.

5. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    its not security issue, its common sense. If people used test seed to generate there first address instead of randomly generated seed from dcradrgen utility then no one can help them as test seed was posted on a public site as an example. They should have been wise enough to not use it.

EDIT: I see that you are having same conversation in another thread, lets end one of these so we can all be on same page.

6. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    I understand it's frustrating for you and I'm sorry to hear that you failed to follow the instructions, but making libelous accusations and asserting outright nonsense is not going to help your case. Your airdrop coins were delivered to the address you submitted which was https://mainnet.decred.org/address/DsasWAuvCiZzy4uB11hfBsZnK3RAmGuW76k, not DsT6HHadNSiv1TNcWX33XXKpnB3Tmz5iDMj as you're claiming here.

In fact, as you can see from following the link, they're still sitting there waiting for you to claim them. Just because you did not write down the correct seed (or verify that your seed generated the same address you submitted as the instructions also directed you to do) does not change the fact that the coins were faithfully delivered by the project to the address you submitted. Unfortunately, and as was very clearly stated in the utility that you ran, it is 100% impossible to recover the seed if you didn't write it down.

I realize that text form makes it hard to convey emotion, so I want to be sure this doesn't come off harshly, but the unfortunate fact of the matter is you made a mistake and did not read the instructions carefully. At least two thousand (probably higher) other people had no trouble following the instructions, so please don't try to lay blame on others for your own mistake.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that the example seed probably should have been made invalid or perhaps not shown at all to help prevent cases like this, and I'm sure if the project were able to do it all over again, it probably would have done that, but that ship has sailed and there is nothing that can be done now.

You can still obtain DCR via one of the exchanges, but do make sure you generate a new wallet and seed this time to avoid using a seed that everyone knows!

7. LastNinja

LastNinja Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    "Be your own bank" with all the consequences it involves. Being too lazy to write down a few words or read carefully a few sentences will not help achieve that goal.

koolykg and ClokworkGremlin like this.
  8. LastNinja

LastNinja Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    BTW, you can hire this "crew". Their founder too was too lazy to write down the seed. Maybe they found out meanwhile a way how to "recover" it:

http://decredcrew.com/about.html

:D:D:D

koolykg, kaida, CrzyTed and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lee Sharp

Lee Sharp Sr. Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Independent Consultant
    Houston, Texas
    upgradeadvice, kaida and CrzyTed like this.
  10. LastNinja

LastNinja Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    And I thought the three smiling photos were totally legit and only the left one was some shamelessly ripped off stock photo... ;)

11. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Well I wouldn't hire them, their job descriptions are just lorem-ipsum.

I think in the end it turned out that Renato had written down his hex seed instead of the words (I stored both), and was able to recover his seed after all.

12. LastNinja

LastNinja Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    I was sure he would have the seed somewhere. Just not the original English one but the output from English-Portuguese google translator. And running it again through translator backwards just didn't work out during wallet import.

13. jmac12

jmac12 New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 29, 2015
    Male
    How can it be a scam when you are not paying for the coins that are being distributed to you for free? I doubt you're losing money out of your own pocket.

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  14. jimmy16

jimmy16 Jr. Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    I got scammed aright, scammed in to learning a shit load. think my brain is going to pop.lol.. guess that first thing I remember was a post about this being for knowledgeable persons and that later there would be tools and GUI interfaces for the public. but i keep going , not heading the clear warning, no! so two months lather where am I? I learned to connect two CUDA Tesla cards to a box it was never intended to work on. I had no idea what a cuda was in the first place. I learned to load 7 linux distros and all the diffidence and similarity’s, I learned about GIthub . wget . curl. screen. how to buld a node on a VPS. on and on.. anyway the only scam here is the one you do to your self. if you help .ASK! but kick every one because you don’t know the question.

15. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    :D says: you all are such cynical bastards. lol

jimmy16 likes this.
  16. GasGeverij

GasGeverij New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Feb 18, 2016
    Male
    InfoSec, CryptoCurrency
    Netherlands

SCAM ?? Either you are just stupid or you need to check your computers security lmao

17. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    While I am similarly unimpressed by people who fail to read the directions, calling them idiots to their face is a poor way to convince them to stay in the community and learn to use the currency.

18. LastNinja

LastNinja Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    Someone who is too lazy to read five lines of instructions and then posts "Decred is obviously a dirty scam." does not deserve to be treated with velvet gloves unless you want that stupidity prevails and the evolution gets perverted. Something that can not be in the interest of humankind.

GasGeverij, drunkenmugsy and jimmy16 like this.
  19. chappjc

chappjc Full Member
    Developer Pool Operator (PoS)

20. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    A bunch of people used the same seed to generate their wallets and ended up with the same airdrop address. Someone caught on and moved all the coins to a safe place.

chappjc likes this.