1. 2017/06/21 - Decred v1.0.5 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
    Dismiss Notice

Decred Principles

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Martind, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Martind

Martind
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

New to Decred and think its going places but slightly concerned about a line in it's constitution "Decred shall comply with all relevant bodies of law in the jurisdictions where applicable, such as embargoes and other trade sanctions"
    Can someone give an example of how this might play out and is it necessary to include this line in the constitution. When i think of trade sanctions and embargoes I view it as an aggressive act by the government of one country to another. Maybe I have misunderstood :)

2. adam2312

adam2312
    Expand Collapse

Martind likes this.
  3. Martind

Martind
    Expand Collapse

4. Geostone

Geostone
    Expand Collapse

There is a difference between dev intent and personal use.

Noah likes this.
  5. jcv

jcv
    Expand Collapse
    Developer

In a perfect world, I don't think we would have included that line in there, but the reality is that we just want to make it clear that we do not have no plans to break any laws with this. Kind of like the of like how the embargo of US export of crypto code in the 90s and early 2000s required some project to do certain things to stay on the correct side of the law.

6. Alexoz

Alexoz
    Expand Collapse

Whatever Decred is the new world order... o_O They all shall comply!

7. Noah

Noah
    Expand Collapse
    Advocate (Twitter)

Interesting read, @Martind ! Personally I fully support the adoption of cryptocurrencies. Especially developing countries can benefit hugely (to skip the phase of centralised banking systems).

Regarding the line in the Decred constitution... I also have mixed feelings about this. Nowadays there is a thin border between idealism and being illegal... (perhaps for this reason (and others) we have seen a steady increase in privacy focused cryptocurrencies). As @Geostone mentions, there is indeed a difference between what the project team shows to the outside, and how we - the community - make use of the coins. It is good to be careful when presenting yourself. As long as we behave in accordance with our core values, I think everything will be fine.

8. jcv

jcv
    Expand Collapse
    Developer

I certainly hope that worrying about legality of things isn't the only reason to care about privacy and want more privacy in our finance and computing. There are plenty of legal things that people prefer to keep private and that should be totally okay.

ClokworkGremlin likes this.