Decred Vs. Ethereum

Discussion in 'Questions' started by above, Jan 17, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. above

above New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    #1 above, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    So i (also others from r/Bitcoin) got this spam message on Reddit from a person who talks about the flaws of Bitcoins centralisation and how Ethereum solves this. Decred seems to be somehow similar. Is Ethereums and Decreds way of governance through PoS exactly the same or are there differences regarding governance and centralisation between the two?

Tivra and Daniel Alvarenga like this.
  2. notedvlad

notedvlad New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Male
    Ether and decred are built from scratch.
    Decred is written in GO.

3. Renato Abreu

Renato Abreu Jr. Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 3, 2016
    Male
    Programador
    Brazil
    Read a little about Decred has more on forum brutally ... now has many improvements near the bitcoin

Decred is an open, progressive cryptocurrency and self-financing with a system of government based on integrated community as a blockchain. At its core is a (POW / POS) hybridized consensus system proof-of-work of proof of participation that seeks to strike a balance between Pow miners and PoS voters to create a more robust notion of consensus. The project is the result of theoretical proposals brought by proof of activity (PoA) and MC2 in 2013. Decred Development began in April 2014 with a single developer and expanded to include the btcsuite shortly after developers.

Tivra and Daniel Alvarenga like this.
  4. Oscar Fotaroma

Oscar Fotaroma Jr. Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    well im a newbie and i barely understand those abbreviations you guys used :(

5. highlonesome

highlonesome Member
    Designer

Jan 11, 2016
    PoW - Proof of Work, PoS - Proof of Stake. I was a newb when I joined, and I'm still a newb but I DO know a lot more than I used to! I really recommend reading through https://blog.companyzero.com/2015/12/iterating-bitcoin/

6. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    POW: Proof Of Work, the blockchain is secured via brute-force hashing of blocks to produce a hash meeting specified difficulty parameters(in Bitcoin, this is a specified number of preceding zeros. The more zeros, the harder the hash.)
    POS: Proof Of Stake, the blockchain is secured via a weighted random selection of certain active wallets. The weighting is generally related to how many coins are in a given address and how long they have been there. Most, but not all, POS coins start with a POW phase before changeover. Several(including Decred) have a hybridized POW/POS system, the specific implementation of which tends to vary.

Renato, could you provide a link to where your paragraph came from? Some context might be helpful.

7. Oscar Fotaroma

Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    thank you guyss :D ! I'm glad people here is not damn cold :)

ClokworkGremlin and highlonesome like this.
  8. highlonesome

highlonesome Member
    Designer

Jan 11, 2016
    You're welcome! And yeah, from what little I've seen of the Bitcoin community, people here are a bit more friendly.

9. Renato Abreu

Renato Abreu Jr. Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 3, 2016
    Male
    Programador
    Brazil
    rasrenato@gmail.com

10. Blizzy

Blizzy Full Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Male
    Tivra and highlonesome like this.
  11. Oscar Fotaroma

Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    even with that kind of issue, their development sure is godly o_O

12. WilderX

WilderX New Member

Dec 17, 2015
    Male
    Why should we care about some CAP theorem some guy wrote in the 90's?

13. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Oranges and Apples

14. Alexoz

Alexoz Member

#14 Alexoz, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    I left aside the Geth wallet ETH for 2 months, it's been 48h straight that I'm syncing it :S