Defence Against Early Stage Botnet Attack?

Discussion in 'Technical Development' started by LastNinja, Jan 1, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. LastNinja

LastNinja Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    Since this will be mined with GPU/CPU (and hopefully never with ASIC) is there any defence against a botnet that might turn its interest to it in the early stage? Or do we just hope that the operator will mine honestly and therefore is just adding more "decentralisation"? My guess is that those 4% (effectively 50% initially) held by the devs combined with the PoS part will be enough against that type of attack. Or am I too optimistic?

2. anvoice

anvoice Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Male
    It's impossible to completely stop a 51 type attack with just PoS. Hopefully any large botnet won't turn its attention here, plus it's a lot harder to actually take over a PC's GPU/CPU with a botnet (clearly discoverable) to mine. About as much danger of that as to any other coin, which didn't really prove to be a factor.

3. jy-p

jy-p Sr. Member
    Organizer

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    You are correct to infer that one of the main reasons we decided to hold onto 50% of the premine was to prevent malicious actors from manipulating the PoS voting early on. Botnets would require access to recent GPUs to be effective - CPU mining cannot compete with GPUs and FPGAs that are mining Blake256 (with 14 rounds).

tacotime and LastNinja like this.