Feedback Enable Ticketbuyer After Startup Through Dcrctl Or Honor Promptpass On Start

Discussion in 'Technical Development' started by meany, Apr 29, 2017.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. meany

meany New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Male
    Here's the issue: if you want to enable the ticket buyer, you must enter your passphrase as added with https://github.com/decred/dcrwallet...6466a27#diff-65e0188014d2d2312a9a36f9b27787bb on line 236.

I cannot figure out a way to start the ticket buyer after the wallet is loaded - any advice? Maybe it's obvious to someone else, but the documentation is lacking and only tells you how to start it when dcrwallet starts. Should I post a github issue?

2. Johnshpon3

Johnshpon3 Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Telecommunications
    Slovenia
    Maybe you are not asking this, but I will try to answer.
    You should start wallet with config file, where you enable ticket buyer (enableticketbuyer=1), if you are staking you should enable voting also (enablevoting=1). Inside config file I also set others required passords. Than you start wallet from CLI window or just doubleclick on dcrwallet.exe. After few seconds and few lines inside CMD you will be promted for privatepassphrase. Just write it and hit enter. During typing you will not see anything appearing on the screen. After that your wallet will start and you are on the game.
    This is valid for CLI (command prompt), about Paymetheus and Decredetion I have no clue. ;)
    Hope this is some help for you

3. meany

meany New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Male
    This is for Debian 8. I use a config file to set my options at launch - but the private passphrase cannot be set in the config file. I then use dcrctl to open the wallet and perform other actions from a batch file. Ideally, I should be able to have a service that starts dcrwallet with ticket buyer enabled, then use dcrctl to open the wallet. I don't understand how you can do both unless there's a way to start dcrwallet without ticket buyer and start it later after the wallet is opened.
    I think you're talking about the public passphrase - but if not could you please explain.

4. Johnshpon3

Johnshpon3 Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Telecommunications
    Slovenia
    I'm not sure if we understand each other. Also I reffer only to Windows, about Linux I'm totaly out of course.
    You can start dcrwallet either with ticketbuyer enabled or not. But I think you can not enable ticketbuyer after you started wallet already. You need to stop dcrwallet, set config file with enableticketbuyer=1 and start dcrwallet again. I think there is no dcrctl command (yet) to start dticketbuyer separetly.
    Inside dcrwallet config sile I set username, password, dcrdusername, dcrdpassword and walletpass. Maybe is overkill and some of them is not neccessary but it works for me. Privatepassphrase can not be set via config file, it is typed in when you are prompted by wallet.
    Here is sample of my dcrwallet config file:
    username=XXXX
    password=YYYY
    dcrdusername=ZZZZ
    dcrdpassword=UUUU
    walletpass=AAAA
    enablevoting=1
    enableticketbuyer=1
    txfee=0.01
    ticketfee=0.15
    ticketbuyer.balancetomaintainabsolute=0.1
    ticketbuyer.maxpriceabsolute=45

Txfee is with v1.0.1 maybe obsolete but it wouldn't hurt. V1.0.1 is temporarly seted to 0.01 by default, v1.0.0 was by default 0.001 and not updated miners wouldn't pick up transactions with so low fee.

5. meany

meany New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Male
    You can start dcrwallet without being prompted by using promptpass=0 in the config, which is what I do since it's being started with a service and not a human.

Thus the point of this post - either we need a way to start it with dcrctl or the code needs to change to honor promptpass = 0