Eth Dao Hacked?!?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by drunkenmugsy, Jun 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    #2 drunkenmugsy, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    After some reading it looks like ETH itself was not hacked just the DOA running on top of it.

This will be interesting to watch. It seems there is a push to hardfork and recover the funds. Some are for it some are against. The crux is bailing out a smart contract that was too big to fail(10% of ETH) or not?

It comes down to all animals are equal but some are more equal than others.

2. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    [​IMG]

raedah likes this.
  3. h3rtl31n

h3rtl31n New Member
    Translator (Deutsch)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Oh my God, this could be perfect for Decred.

4. tacotime

tacotime Hero Member

Dec 7, 2015
    X-posting from Bitcointalk on this topic:

Rune S, MiloIce, Johnshpon3 and 4 others like this.
  5. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    But I think decred developers have a few communication issues at times

6. tacotime

tacotime Hero Member

Dec 7, 2015
    What kind of communication issues? Don't want to derail the thread and go off-topic, but please speak freely.

7. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
  8. Alexoz

Alexoz Member

I guess what he meant is that he'd like more activity on the forum, and see Decred at 20$ by now ;)

I'd rather see an evolution on 3 to 5 years as Bitcoin.

ClokworkGremlin and Ayush like this.
  9. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Sounds to me like @Ayush just wants to get paid. Rant all you want dood. I am afk for the next few days.

ClokworkGremlin and David like this.
  10. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    Wow @Ayush, really holding onto your hopes and dreams of easy money eh?

Anyways, to get back on subject - it was exciting seeing the constant growth of ETH over the last couple of months. To wake up to news like this is a bit disheartening. However, it's also exciting to see how ETH and DAO will recover and to learn the details of the hack (hopefully).

11. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    *hope* - the reason human's survive.

Dude I was just asking a question
    And couldn't @_ingsoc reply to my question? Despite asking him twice on that thread and now here. I still didn't get a reply. That's what I didn't like.

12. Alexoz

Alexoz Member

I'm promoting Decred as much as I can, and don't want to get pay for that tho... It's not all about money!

There's Onecoin if you want to make good money by ripping off your entourage ;)

ClokworkGremlin and David like this.
  13. rustynail

rustynail New Member

Jan 31, 2016
    Male
    Ask the right questions. Gaining money out of your participation in a community should be a "side-effect" and not a goal.

14. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    Please note the last para. Disappointment was only because devs couldn't reply .

15. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    Is there any free money available for hijacking threads?

I don't know about you guys, but it's not cool to see ETH decrease by 50% in a matter of days. I've briefly dipped my feet into the ETH world and it was exciting following it's progress for the last few months. From what I understand, the hack was known about and people voiced their concern to the developers, but nothing was changed. I also understand that once you let a decentralized project fly, it can be difficult to make substantial changes. All around, it's an interesting situation. To my understanding, the vulnerability was not in Ethereum code itself, but in the DAO code that runs on the Ethereum platform.

There are some moral implications surrounding this situation that I am concerned about. Given the nature of the DAO where the funds are suspended in a holding account, they can't be spent for about 27 days. So they have just over 3 weeks to figure out what to do before the attacker walks away with his* money.

* = The guy has apparently come forward and said the money is legally his, but it might be an impostor.

EDIT: The latest official post about the next steps.
    https://blog.ethereum.org/2016/06/17/critical-update-re-dao-vulnerability/

16. toad

toad New Member

Feb 9, 2016
    Male
    It's just an other event in the crooked crypto world. Eth will recover, slowly but it'll.

17. Shadowlance

Shadowlance Full Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    I read that post when you made it and to be honest, I'm not sure it really deserved an answer and I expect that what the devs thought too. Just because you ask a question doesn't mean that the devs are obliged to respond to you. Further, I think you already know the answer to it and the devs are being polite by not responding.

There is nothing wrong with the comms from the devs, and just because they didn't waste their time by responding to a question that really shouldn't have been asked in the first place doesn't mean there's an issue.

But since it's a big problem for you, I'll answer it myself: No. You will not get paid for providing a service that was not asked for by the devs. That's like those people who take photos of tourists without asking then try to get them to pay for it. It was your decision to provide help to others and indeed the community and I'm sure the devs thank you for that, but it blows my mind that you think you should be compensated for it.

18. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    Two points -
    1. Didn't ask for your reply.
    2. This small thing could have been done by the devs themselves. Wouldn't have taken more than 1min. Avoiding is not a solution. A simple -
    Not possible :) or something like that would have done.

19. Alexoz

Alexoz Member

Stop complaining... Go on!

Spread love!