Airdrop Final Airdrop Review Process

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by tacotime, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo New Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    Crypto Currency Advisot
    What if i did not save even the Hex? Can I still restore my AirDrop wallet to web wallet? Because i deleted the file where i saved my 33 word seed.. Can someone help me??

2. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Unless you can recover it via an undelete utility, the 33 word seed or the hex seed is necessary to recover your wallet. If you could recover them via the public key, cryptocurrencies would be virtually useless because it's the difficulty of determining a private key based on the public key that secures them.

Reynold and davecgh like this.
  3. MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo New Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    Crypto Currency Advisot

I did not save my seed in my Computer, I only take a picture of 33word seed and i deleted that picture.. I hope i can still recover .. But the i still have my key.txt ..

4. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    key.txt only contains public keys. Short of being able to recover that picture, you're out of luck.

5. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    Sounds like a job for http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

6. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    @davecgh The only thing we need to recover a Decred wallet is the 33 words seed, which words came from a 256 words list, right?

Isn't that make possible for someone to start mixing 33 words from this already published words list and start looking for existing wallets? Doesn't this make our Decred wallets vulnerable?

Of course I believe that was covered before Decred launch and I am wrong anyway but I'd like if someone can clear out that there is not such potential threat for our Decred wallets.

7. jmac12

jmac12 New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 29, 2015
    Male
    There are A LOT of possible combinations with 33 words and to get one right is going to take a very very long time. Also, even if they do get one right with someone else's wallet you can protect your wallet by putting a passphrase for withdrawing the funds out of your wallet.

zero likes this.
  8. jrick

jrick Member
    Developer

Jan 4, 2016
    Male
    This is infeasible to do. Each word has the possibility of encoding 256 different values. For those 33 words, 32 are from the actual seed. That's a total of 256**32 possibilities (or 2**256 depending on how you want to count it). You can't brute force that.

chappjc, davecgh, zero and 1 other person like this.
  9. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    No less possible than trying random 32-byte values to try and find the private key for a wallet address.

Consider, however, that if you were able to test 1,000,000 addresses every second on an 8-byte (64-bit) address, it would still take you 584,000 years to go through all of them, of which maybe 10% will ever be used. This number is 4x as long as that. That's 584000 x 18446744073709551616 x 18446744073709551616 x 18446744073709551616 years.

To put it a bit differently, there are more possible 33-word combinations of 256 words than there are hydrogen atoms in the known universe. Almost as many as there are *atoms* in the known universe, period.

It is more likely that the universe will end before you finish reading this sentence than it is for you to be able to deliberately find one of those secret keys before the universe actually does end.

David, koolykg, chappjc and 3 others like this.
  10. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    OK thanks for the answers, as I've already said I was sure that was covered before launch anyway.

So it's almost impossible and in any way the passphrases we make during wallet creation goes with the seed from that time on and if even someone get our seed the private passphrase will be needed it to unlock so as to send funds and the public passphrase will be needed to even open our wallet, right?

11. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    The passphrase is used to encrypt that wallet file. The seed is the wallet itself. This is why one way to recover a wallet if you've lost or forgotten your passphrase is to re-generate it using the same seed but a different passphrase. This is also why dcraddrgen does not ask for a password. It doesn't need one, since all it's doing is generating a wallet seed and a single public address to go with it.

In short: Your 33-word seed is your wallet. Anybody who has that seed has access to the wallet and can spend any coins stored within. This is, for example, why anybody who didn't read the Airdrop instructions and used the example seed on the page(which was the same for every page) instead of generating one using dcraddrgen like they were supposed to found their wallet was empty only a couple of minutes after the coins in it were unlocked: every single one of those people had the same wallet, the same private keys, and the same credits. And one of them realized that his credits weren't secure and moved them to another wallet where they were secure.

Your private passphrase is a key used to encrypt the private keys. Without the passphrase, If you have the wallet file but not the seed or private passphrase, then you can generate new addresses to receive from, but you can't spend the coins in those addresses or recover the 33-word seed used to create the wallet.

Your public passphrase is a key used to encrypt the public keys. If you have a wallet file which is encrypted with a public passphrase, then you can't even see what public addresses that file has.

12. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    I would prefer an option for a password that will go with the seed but you've already explained me that it's impossible to generate someone else's seed.

13. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    It's not really necessary, and to a degree it's actually preferable to do it this way since you can still recover your wallet if you've forgotten your password, or like some people have done, used a password that the system can't currently handle.(Anything with Unicode characters). You can also change your password with this system, which you couldn't do if the password was munged with the key to generate the wallet.

zero likes this.
  14. Jesse

Jesse New Member

Jan 24, 2016
    Male
    This thread should be closed / deleted. At this point the airdrop and everything about it is finished.

15. koolykg

koolykg Jr. Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 1, 2016
    Female
    I agree and do not agree with you Jesse. There are still a few people out there that need help. This thread keeps them connected to other members that need help. The airdrop is over, but as as you can see people are still trickling in to ask questions.

Jesse likes this.
  16. Jesse

Jesse New Member

Jan 24, 2016
    Male
    I agree, but at this point it should be in the technical support section not here.

17. koolykg

koolykg Jr. Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 1, 2016
    Female
    I think that you are right, but we have not been live five days yet. I am sure this thread will be obsolete within a week, but who knows. That is why we have great developers who are aware and know what they are doing.

18. mnb7089

mnb7089 New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Male
    Here is the link again for your reference:

https://decred.org/confirm/?t=571b7ee5549d36f7a2c4ced062b26f47
    33 words wallet seed per ,I don't have to save, I have airdrop Extended public key and First address, can you help me find?

19. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    If you did not save the 33 word seed or the hex value, then nobody can help you.

20. MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo New Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    Crypto Currency Advisot
    I hope sonner they can help us. What will happen to our Airdrop wallet and 282 coins if we cannot restore the airdrop wallet?

Renato Abreu likes this.