Finally Made My Decred Address!

Discussion in 'Addresses' started by 418Sec, Jan 5, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    It will all be in the one place. Namely, your wallet. It's better to think of an address like a line item of your bank account or an invoice identifier. Every transaction should have a unique address associated with it.

2. Karman

Karman New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Sr. System Administrator
    Spain
    Nice! Actually I made it simpler by changing the grep line to 'grep DsKarman $TMPFILE' as is highly improbable to find the text with the Ds in the middle of the hash, saving computation time and making it faster.

3. ZomaX

ZomaX Member
    Designer

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Really interesting!

4. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    PSA: Copay, upon which the wallet that will be available at launch for Decred is based, only supports the seed-based addresses.

This means those of you who are generating individual vanity addresses (-noseed) will effectively not be usable until wallet software that supports individual addresses is created. Also, as previously mentioned, it's not a good idea to generate a seed-based vanity address for security reasons.

In order words, I would highly recommend against submitting an individual vanity address (one generated with -noseed) for the airdrop unless you completely understand the ramifications of doing so and are willing to wait until there is wallet software available to actually be able to use it.

eshriek likes this.
  5. 418Sec

418Sec Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 3, 2016
    Male
    So addressed made with the (-noseed) option will not be able to receive the Air Drop ?

6. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    For all and intents and purposes, no. Technically the addresses can receive the coins, but until there is wallet software that knows how deal with individual (-noseed) addresses, you won't be able to actually spend them.

The coins sent to such an address are still controlled by the key pair the address represents (recall that an address is really just the base58 encoding of a prefix + a hash of the public key of a key pair + a checksum) and thus as long as you have the associated private key, you would eventually be able to spend them with wallet software that supports it.

However, as I mentioned in the PSA, the Copay-based wallet that will be available at launch only supports deterministically generated key pairs from a seed. That means you can't import an individual key pair not based on a seed.

chappjc likes this.
  7. Lee Sharp

Lee Sharp Sr. Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Independent Consultant
    Houston, Texas
    I would say, "yes," bust only vested over time. :) Spending it may be a problem...

Personally, I am waiting until much closer to the drop to generate mine, which will only be used for the drop. A lot of surprises can come out close to a deadline... And while you can update your drop address any time, I do not want to have to do it myself. :)

8. walkeralencar

walkeralencar New Member
    Translator (Português)

Dec 29, 2015
    Male
    CTO and PHP Consultant
    Brasília-DF, Brazil
  9. 418Sec

418Sec Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 3, 2016
    Male
    I just see " Warning Please use bit.do contact form if you can not access this site."
    And ads.

10. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    I think it's important to mention. PLEASE NEVER USE ONLINE SERVICES TO GENERATE ADDRESS.
    You can loose all your coins. Really, don't do it :)

Rune S, Lee Sharp and ClokworkGremlin like this.
  11. 418Sec

418Sec Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 3, 2016
    Male
    Yea.. well.. If its a full javascript implementation.. then u can just see the source code and be sure nothing fishy is going on..
    Like they did in bitaddress.org .
    But its always better to be careful.

12. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    In that solution everything happening on the server side. It's just 2 ajax requests. You cannot trust it.

13. walkeralencar

walkeralencar New Member
    Translator (Português)

Dec 29, 2015
    Male
    CTO and PHP Consultant
    Brasília-DF, Brazil
    Never happened with me, but in that case, the link will redirect to: https://decred-vanity-walkeralencar.c9users.io/

14. 418Sec

418Sec Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 3, 2016
    Male
  15. walkeralencar

walkeralencar New Member
    Translator (Português)

Dec 29, 2015
    Male
    CTO and PHP Consultant
    Brasília-DF, Brazil
  16. walkeralencar

walkeralencar New Member
    Translator (Português)

Dec 29, 2015
    Male
    CTO and PHP Consultant
    Brasília-DF, Brazil
    #56 walkeralencar, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    I propose to select some user like @davecgh, @_ingsoc or any project leader to audit code, and have full access on code/site. My porpous is provide a easy choice until have a secure client side code.

17. Baris Parlan

Baris Parlan New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Male
    IT Expert
    Turkey / Cyprus
    What you guys do in this form post looks amazing from my perspective, it started as "just for fun" and goes to opensource gist code waiting to be audited :) Congrats...

18. Renato Abreu

Renato Abreu Jr. Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 3, 2016
    Male
    Programador
    Brazil