Guide (with Screenshots) To Claim Airdrop Coins With Wallet.decred.org

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by davecgh, Feb 13, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    It is safe. The only difference is you'll need to go to import wallet this time instead of creating a new one.

RegenX likes this.
  2. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    thanks very much for your help, maybe what caused this was that my computer scans and reboots every Wednesday night, and
    I had put off completing the wallet until the next morning, so maybe it put a spanner in the works of the local data and browser with wallet.decred.org and in this case you have to delete the wallet and start over. I will try this.

3. LastNinja

LastNinja Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    If that's the case, why do you use a browser wallet that is gone once the cookies are deleted. I mean, really, cookies, that's the crap everyone deletes without a thought since it is mostly just tracking and spying stuff. Who the heck ever came up with the idea for such a browser/cookie wallet.

I'd wait until they come up with a real GUI wallet. Not this headless cookie based wallet that is misusing a browser to download a GUI every time you use it.

4. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    As far as I know, it uses local storage, not cookies.

5. LastNinja

LastNinja Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    So it doesn't have to be re-imported once someone deletes the cookies? Or when someone is using a private browser window?

I am eager to get corrected if I misunderstood how it works, since I do not use it at all.

Edit. I mean, it's good if keys are stored locally (if they are), but it makes no sense if the link between the key file and the browser is that cookie which got deleted and there is no re-link functionality but import from seed every time.

6. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    I don't know that much more than you as I've never looked at the code either, but based on the copay description and playing around with it I was able to figure it out, so I figured I'd put up a guide to help people out.

That said, I just confirmed that there are no cookies for wallet.decred.org and clearing cookies does not force a re-import. However, a private browser window does (as expected because localStorage is separate and not saved in private mode either).

EDIT: Also, I should note that a lot of cache cleaning type of tools do delete browser local storage, so running any of those type of tools would certainly lead to requiring a re-import as well.

LastNinja likes this.
  7. LastNinja

LastNinja Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    I must stop calling it a cookie wallet :D Mea culpa!

8. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    the 33 word seed now no longer valid on the system, too many botched attempts I think

here is what happened
    I deleted the glitched wallet and tried to import a wallet via the seed words , it gave me an error message saying 'Could not import: Wallet not registed at the Wallet Service. Recreate it from "Create Wallet" using "Advanced Options" to set your seed

When I tried that, it said 'Address is already registered'. So I cannot import or create a new one.

9. LastNinja

LastNinja Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    A wallet seed never "expires" or whatever you want to say. That's why people go as far as putting it into something like cryptosteel.

As long as you have that seed, the coins are yours and will become spendable once you figure out how this works.

RegenX likes this.
  10. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    can someone explain what the following means?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    'Could not import: Wallet not registed at the Wallet Service. Recreate it from "Create Wallet" using "Advanced Options" to set your seed
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

when I tried that it said the wallet was already registered. Did I do something wrong?
    Does it mean to create your own new words for the seed or something?

11. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    thanks for your help, this is good to know. I will just have to keep trying to create the wallet. is there a way to bypass this decred wallet
    and do this wallet some place else?

12. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    I thought you had already imported it, so that's why I said you'd have to go to Import Wallet this time. However, from that message, it appears you've never completed the full create process yet.

Basically there are only two things you can do:
    • Create a new wallet (and go to advanced options to specify the seed as this guide illustrates)
    • Import a wallet (also specify the seed)
    If one doesn't work, try the other.

13. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    I did follow the instructions, but when I did , it says

Error creating wallet: Wallet already registered

I have tried this about three times now.

if I try to import it says

Could not import: Wallet not registed at the Wallet Service. Recreate it from "Create Wallet" using "Advanced Options" to set your seed

when I try to 'Create Wallet' it says

Error creating wallet: Wallet already registered'

So I am stuck in this loop.

14. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    I kept going , the site is a bit glitchy , if you select 'create a new wallet' from the three button selection page, it doesn't work,
    the only way to get to the proper wallet creation page is to go back to the very start via the backbutton and then finally you get
    the 'you have no wallet' message, and can start again from there.

I have recreated the wallet and it scanned and now there is
    listed at the top of the wallet '0.00000000 DCR ' as the balance

this is off from the guide screenshot which lists the balance in dbits, not DCR

[​IMG]

So, please , can anyone help me sort this out? Shouldn't the balance be listed in dbits?

15. jimmy16

jimmy16 Jr. Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    I connected without using a seed in is defaulting TO TEST NET ADDRESS ..
    TsipTzUnM9Y1kn61Cme2N9KeQPwE2YSz1eW

16. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    #36 RegenX, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    the airdrop coins are still in my balance showing at

https://mainnet.decred.org/

Address 282.63795424 DCR

Address DscJC6UtB9vWVrWviU3oYWNPTo8dReJwCuX

the address that I received on registering for the airdrop, when entered at mainnet.decred.org , confirms that my address has the 282 decred balance in it.

the DCR are just not showing up at the decred.org wallet , for some unknown reason

when I created the wallet , it did not even ask for my address, so I have no idea what is going on here,
    all it asked for was the seed words.

And why is Dave's balance listed in dbits instead of DCR?

17. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    @RegenX

I should update the post. The wallet originally had the default units sets to "dbits", but that has since been corrected to use DCR by default and use the correct name of "atoms".

Your address is derived from the seed. So, it won't ask you for an address. My guess is the seed you're using doesn't match the address you posted. Perhaps you created a new wallet without importing the seed (which would create an entirely new one of course).

You can check the addresses in use by going to Preferences ->Advanced -> Wallet Information and looking at the Last Wallet Addresses and Balance By Address sections.

If you do not see your airdrop address in there then the seed you're using does not match the address. If that is the case there are only two possibilities:
    1. You somehow created the wallet with a different seed instead of importing your seed
    2. You submitted an address to the airdrop that does not match the seed you have

Back when you were doing the airdrop did you verify your seed produced the address you submitted by doing the step in the instructions that requested you to?

18. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male

yes, the seed was verified.
    but when I check the wallet information in this new decred wallet as you just directed, the original airdrop address is not there,
    just two addresses which were created today

were we directed to save the seed during the airdrop registering process ?
    I checked my computer and could not find the seed saved on my computer , and I certainly would have saved it if directed to save it.

the seed which I used to create this new wallet today is the seed which I salvaged from somewhere within the very first partially
    created wallet which I never completed a couple of days ago. when I returned to try to complete the wallet the next day the computer had rebooted and I could not get back to the 'start from scratch' point at all without having to delete the incomplete wallet what was there.
    Before I deleted the original failed wallet, I found the 33 seed words there, which is what I used to create the new wallet today.

19. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    Yes. I just ran it again to double check that. It even made you type OK to ensure you did it:

Code:
    $ ./dcraddrgen
    WRITE DOWN THE SEED GIVEN BELOW. YOU WILL NOT BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE TO.

Your wallet generation seed is:

IMPORTANT: Keep the seed in a safe place as you
    will NOT be able to restore your wallet without it.
    Please keep in mind that anyone who has access
    to the seed can also restore your wallet thereby
    giving them access to all your funds, so it is
    imperative that you keep it in a secure location.

Once you have stored the seed in a safe
    and secure location, enter OK here to erase the
    seed and all derived keys from memory. Derived
    public keys and an address will be stored in the
    file specified (default: keys.txt):

That is what your issue is then. You must use the original seed for the address you submitted to the airdrop. If you don't have that, there is, unfortunately, absolutely no way to recover the funds at that address as it's impossible to brute force.

20. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    #40 Dyrk, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Is there already some solution for those, who found "--noseed" command examples on the forum? I've seen already plenty of these guys. How can we help them get access to their airdrop with only Private Key?
    I saw somewhere statistics that 2000 addresses never used or moved their coins (when in total ~ 2800 received airdrop), so this looks serious.

EDIT: many users also say that in generated .txt file they had only address and public key. I never tried to run Windows binaries, but I tested it many times on Mac and Linux. It seems just impossible to generate output file with only address and public key.