Guide (with Screenshots) To Claim Airdrop Coins With Wallet.decred.org

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by davecgh, Feb 13, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. jrick

jrick Member
    Developer

Jan 4, 2016
    Male
    There is no "solution". If there was, the currency would be useless since anyone could recreate any other person's wallet.

2. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    So why @davecgh suggested to forum users create address with "--noseed" flag?
    Why dcraddrgen support this flag at all?
    And why it says "Your private key is used to spend your funds. Do not reveal it to anyone." if you cannot spend your funds.

3. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    I do remember specifically warning about that! It definitely can't be done through the web wallet and I doubt it will ever be able to. However, it's possible to import a standalone private key into dcrwallet.

NOTE: This is only for --noseed addresses specifically in response to @Dyrk's question. Don't run this if you don't know what we're talking about!
    Code:
    # Unlock the wallet
    ./dcrctl --wallet walletpassphrase "private encryption passphrase" 60

# Import the standalone (--noseed) private key
    $ ./dcrctl --wallet importprivkey "put WIF private key here"

# View balance of imported account (give it some time to rescan and look at the log in dcrwallet to see rescan progress)
    $ ./dcrctl --wallet getbalance "imported" 0 all

Dyrk likes this.
  4. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    From what i can understand, above method is for importing a single address private key and not creating a wallet. Since no one has private key for their airdrop wallet address, this method cannot be used to import that address.

5. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    You can create new wallet and import there this address using private key. If you got 282DCR to this address (with private key only), you should thank God and @davecgh for the help.

6. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    i don't think so because you only have seed & hex but not the specific private key for your first address that you submitted for airdrop. Private key can only be extracted once you have recreated the wallet. So, no good for airdrop retrieval.

7. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    If somebody generated a vanity address with --noseed and submitted that address as the airdrop address (instead of following the directions provided by the airdrop), then that is where it would matter.

Remember that an address is nothing more than a base58 encoded representation of a public key and some metadata along with a checksum to help prevent typos. That public key is in turn calculated from a private key and therefore you need that private key to spend coins. So, what's a private key? Well it's just a really, really, really (really!) big (256 bits) cryptographically random number. This is why it's possible to have individual addresses not tied to a seed.

The airdrop simply sent coins to the submitted address. Precisely due to the fact it's impossible to recover a private key from an address, there is no way the project could know if the person used a deterministically generated private key as instructed or did something else entirely.

It's all pretty math heavy to get into the details, but effectively all the seed-based approach (also called hierarchical deterministic keys) does is uses some fancy algorithms to deterministically generate private keys from the initial seed. Therefore, they're a lot better than a bunch of unrelated private keys in general because it means with only a single seed you can recover every single private key. On the other hand, with individual (--noseed) private keys, you have to keep track of every single one individually.

8. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Yeah i have that problem with my bitcoin core wallet, luckily i dont use too many addresses. But i guess if someone was savvy enough to generate a vanity address then he would not need help to recover his airdrop. heh

9. Johnshpon3

Johnshpon3 Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Telecommunications
    Slovenia
    On the other hand, many of this addresses are under perffect controll of respected owners. They never moved their assets because they save them for later when it's value will be much greater. This is exactly my case. My airdrop coins sit still in first address and they will not move for long long time :D.

10. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    So if you are going to keep your Airdrop in your wallet for a long time, why don't you participate in PoS? For Airdrop coins you can buy 137 tickets (you still have time to get a cheap 2dcr price), if reward will be 1.8DCR for vote, after 5 months you will get ~ +246DCR = 520DCR in total with your airdrop.

11. Johnshpon3

Johnshpon3 Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Telecommunications
    Slovenia
    I agree with your point. Problem is that I still not understand this PoS very well and I'm still learning and try to comprehend.
    I was trying this with testnet and a lot of tDCR disappeared somwhere in testnet space :D. I was not able to track them again. It's true that after couple weeks they appear from somwhere again and there was more coins than before. So obviously it worked, only problem is that I don't know what I'm doing :p.
    It's easy with test coins, with real DCR for now I have not enough nerves. But I'm PoW miner;) and still learning.

12. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    what I don't understand is where this 33 word seed which I have now came from . Unless this DCR webwallet service somehow generated a random seed during this debacle , it has to be the same seed, the same 33 words.

is that even possible for a random seedword list to have appeared?

I hope something can be done to help fix this for the people it happened to.
    I have made the decision to stick with Decred and take this as a life learning lesson.
    The reason I want to stick with Decred is because the great people here inspire confidence. One person
    even tried to help by doing a teamview chat session with my computer/ sadly to no avail.
    If I buy coins I can still ride this road to riches , hopefully. But I am flat broke right now, this is depressing. This airdrop was the only hope
    I had keeping my spirits up.
    If anyone wants to lend some coins or donate some coins to me , please help
    my address is
    DsWXfcz5T438UeKNMXSjJ2UjmM8frdkajw2

If anyone wants to lend some coins or donate some coins to me , please help, I will gladly repay any coins
    lent or donated , in future better times, with interest

13. neo cortex

neo cortex New Member

Dec 17, 2015
    Male
    LOL same here, waiting for a windows GUI wallet at least,I tried sending here and there on the testnet but kept getting errors about not connectiong to the CPmine daemon etc etc. I havent touched my airdrop wallet yet(I did confirm it on the mainnet blockchain though so hurrahhh!!!) and it looks like there are a lot of issues with the webwallet. Is there like a Noob tutorial on how exactly PoS mining works, I am quite aware of the PoW process but PoS is still quite foreign to me; all this ticket voting system and ensuring that you're online to participate in the vote is quite confusing to me @Dyrk you seem fairly familiar with the PoS process, care to explain or share a link?

14. MarSas

MarSas New Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Male
    Does anyone know the command to enable stakemining?

15. rohit pawar

rohit pawar Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 26, 2015
    Male
    India
    Code:
    dcrwallet -u user -P password --walletpass <PublicPassphrase> --enablestakemining --votebits=1 --balancetomaintain=100.0 --ticketmaxprice=20
    Dont forgot to Unlock wallet after enabling PoS mining

Code:
    dcrctl -u user -P password --wallet walletpassphrase <Privatepassphrase> 0 

16. Gordon Birch

Gordon Birch New Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Male
    It took me a few attempts to get the right key when I set up my account, and have written down and used each variant, with screenshots; yet it still comes up with "wallet seed invalid". Is there a way to recover my original seed to create my wallet, or would I have to start from scratch and create a new account?

17. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    There is no way to recover seeds. If you didn't participate in the airdrop, you wouldn't have an initial seed and you would just create a new wallet. From there you can go to Preferences -> Backup in order to get your new seed in order to write it down and save it in case you ever need to restore your wallet.

18. knurdtech

knurdtech New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Because the Solo PoS Mining guide specifically warns to only participate if you will have a computer running your wallet and connected to the internet 24/7 so that you don't miss any votes coming your way.

This is not feasible for some people right now. I'm waiting for the PoS mining pools.

19. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    I'm using a Raspberry Pi, personally. Likely to pay for itself within a couple of weeks, then it's well on its way to paying for the electricity it uses, and possibly even my internet bills.

If you'd like, I can get a box set up for you including instructions for importing your wallet and getting started with staking. I would want to be paid for parts and a small charge for services, but if you used the result for Staking, it should pay for itself inside of a month(given current pool environment and exchange rates). Depending on availability, I could even use a Raspberry Pi Zero to significantly reduce the cost.(It should be enough, provided you only use it for PoS Decred mining.)

Send me a PM if you're interested. No charge until the box is ready to ship, box will be shipped the first business day after payment and shipping address are received, and I will never ask you for your wallet seed or private key.(I'll include instructions to import those yourself)

This offer is open to anybody interested.

20. knurdtech

knurdtech New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for the offer. I'm sure it can be of service to someone.

My current issue isn't setting up a box...it's the 142 day max wait period. I'm likely moving within that period so I won't have constant internet connectivity. I would have to use some kind of cloud service. :)

ClokworkGremlin likes this.