Hdd Died - Cannot Import Previous Web Wallet

Discussion in 'Addresses' started by mrfr0sty, Aug 1, 2017.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. mrfr0sty

mrfr0sty New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
  2. mrfr0sty

mrfr0sty New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    Trying to import my original address fails as well:

import fail.jpg

3. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    Are you sure you backed up the seed properly from the web wallet that your Decred were in? It seems like you don't have the correct seed because when you did the "getaccount DsnwUK4LdryEFmxPS3mpNWvZwgdjdmUASBE", it's basically saying that the address doesn't belong to your wallet.

4. mrfr0sty

mrfr0sty New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    Hi David, I've had a seed since I created the original wallet, whether the right one or not, it's what I was presented with and saved in two separate cloud storage repositories.

I was under the impression that web wallet, meant, it was stored in the web, so I didn't anticipate any outcome where I would need files from my PC. Had it been clear that the web wallet, only refers to a web browser for a local storage system, I'd have backed up all the files as well...

I think this alone is going to catch a lot of mining newbies out!

As for the possibility of the seed being wrong, how would I know, or how could I know?

Are there any particular tests, command lines or other avenues for me to confirm that the seed I have, is not a match for the address DsnwUK4LdryEFmxPS3mpNWvZwgdjdmUASBE ?

I'm not sure if the following could be a causing factor of why I can't recover my original address??

One post that I followed in the beginning of my recovery efforts was:

https://forum.decred.org/threads/gu...aim-airdrop-coins-with-wallet-decred-org.643/

This post instructs to create a new wallet, with an existing seed. I did this and the balance was zero.

Upon reading further, the FAQ advises not to create a new wallet with an existing seed....

https://docs.decred.org/faq/wallets-and-seeds/#3-can-i-run-multiple-wallets
    "Running multiple wallets with the same seed can lead to the situation where the wallets will not see the same balance. You should not run multiple wallets with the same seed.3"

Is it possible that this is causing the recovery issues I'm facing?

5. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    @mrfr0sty, does this screen look familiar to you? This is where you would have found the seed for your web wallet while you had access to it (behind the grey box I added). I guess I'm just wondering where you wrote the seed down from.

[​IMG]

The post about the multiple wallets is quite old - still not recommended - but I think the devs made it much better for those that still do run multiple wallets. The only thing you want to avoid when running multiple wallets is creating transactions from the multiple wallet instances. You will be fine creating multiple wallets for this purpose, so that's not the issue here. I'm still not quite convinced you have the correct seed for the address where your Decred coins are at.

6. mrfr0sty

mrfr0sty New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    I've definitely seen that screen, and I remember having to click each word to validate the sequence.

It's so odd David, if we've really tried everything I'll have to just forfeit my DCR. No choice in the matter.

I don't know how/if to continue though. If I start mining DCR again, how will I know for sure that this problem will not repeat??

Would I need to send 0.5 DCR to a wallet, delete it and hope that it does restore from the seed?

Is this what everyone else is doing? or are we all living in hope that the seed we recorded will actually recover our funds?

7. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    Since you already set yourself up with the CLI tools, I think your best bet is to move forward using them. Even though the GUI wallets (Decredition/Paymetheus) are perfectly usable, I still personally prefer (and therefore recommend) the CLI tools.

I have recovered my wallet countless times from seed so far and I never had any issues. Have you looked into any data recovery options? If it's a disk drive, maybe try the freezer method so you can get in and copy over your browser files? I don't know exactly where the files are at for the web wallet, but I think it's been posted here before.

8. mrfr0sty

mrfr0sty New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    Unfortunately the HDD went down the rubbish chute already. I didn't think that there was any data that I needed to recover as I use Dropbox & OneDrive for everything. As I mentioned before, I thought web wallet meant on the web, like my ETH wallet, but learned that hard way that this is not the case with Decred.

I've got my eyes on a real web wallet, holytransaction. Might give that one a go instead of relying on my own seed.

Really appreciate all your help David (and Manlabor and Dezryth). At least I now know the CLI :)

Thanks again!

9. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    Ah, bummer. For the record, I did want to point out that the official documentation mentions the local nature of the web wallet:

Nobody expects a hard drive failure, and the web wallet is so easy to use that most people probably don't even think about the documentation, but it's there for a reason. I feel bad that this happened to you, but good thing it was only a few coins. If you stick around in Decred, definitely maintain ownership of your seed. I'm not familiar with holytransaction but as with any crypto - if you don't own your private keys, you don't own your coins. Good luck!

10. Manlabor

Manlabor New Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Male
    US
    Do you have more info on your attempt to restore your web wallet? Maybe we can take another look at that.