Help - Pos Mining

Discussion in 'Proof-of-stake Mining' started by Btu, Jul 2, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Btu

Btu New Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    I started POS mining a week ago and bought 13 tickets at the price of 25 dcr(I know it wasn't the best price, but still I wanted to start). I did this by using dcrticketbuyer and automating the process.

I have a few questions about efficiency:
    Should I change the fee, and if I increase it will it be mined faster. If so, what is a good fee price?
    And am I supposed to/would it be more efficient if I changed the expiration date?

2. eshriek

eshriek New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Ticket fees are one of the more complicated aspects of Decred. I still don't fully understand. See the following thread: https://forum.decred.org/threads/pr...lats-round-2016-05-30-15-dcr-per-ticket.3790/ This link (mentioned at the end of that thread) provides the best outline of ticket fees that I've found so far.

dcrticketbuyer should take care of setting the dynamic aspect of the ticket fee.

If you want to increase the fee change the following line in your config file:

Code:
    feetargetscaling=1.05
    That will set your price above average.

What ticket fees did you end up paying when you bought the 13 tickets?

Changing the fee does not affect how fast your ticket will vote. I think it is an average of 28 days and a maximum of about 5 months for a ticket to expire.

3. Btu

Btu New Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    I didn't change anything about the fee's when I got the 13 tickets, so it should be default. I think the default is 0.01 from what I see on other posts. So would increasing the fee do any good at all or would it just be a waste?

4. eshriek

eshriek New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    I think it would be more efficient to increase your ticket fee and decrease your ticketmaxprice. The 30 day average is about 24.4. I set my ticketmaxprice lower than the 30 day average (just a bit) and have my ticketfee at like .1 or .15. The reason for the high ticketfee is because there will be lots of competition for tickets at that price point. If I don't purchase tickets for 30 days (this can be really frustrating, but the learning experience is rewarding) I readjust. I don't know if what I am doing is smart or not. I'm guessing too. I don't use dcrticketbuyer (yet) but I would read through the config file and try different settings to see what works for you.

5. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    Simply put - Tickets with higher fees are given higher priority in being mined (When u buy a ticket it becomes valid only after being mined into a block). So when the ticket price is low and many people are trying to buy tickets, a higher fees will ensure u get ur tickets. (By high I mean something around 0.5. U can check it on dcrstats.com "average fees")

Hope this helps :)