Help With Mining Both Pos And Pow

Discussion in 'Solo Mining' started by VanQ, Feb 28, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. VanQ

VanQ New Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    I have a POS setup running on a Acer ASPIRE A4715Z currently running fine bought 5 tickets 1 got voted already. I invested 25DCR in this POS setup now i wish to invest my remaining 250DCR to make a POW setup.

Can someone guide me along?

I'm very interested to mine and earn more since im still studying.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. sw1

sw1 Jr. Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    Sydney, Australia
    You can set up solo mining using parts of this guide:-
    https://forum.decred.org/threads/pr...import-mining-guide-use-at-your-own-risk.472/

If you want to Pool mine, then sign up to the pool of your choice then use the user/pass/url etc of the pool you use in the cgminer conf file. Be aware some pools require you to use certain versions of cgminer, so read all the documentation properly.
    https://forum.decred.org/threads/proof-of-work-pools.426/

All of these questions have already been answered on the forum, so please search it so we dont have to do it for you.

3. 418Sec

418Sec Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 3, 2016
    Male
    for POW there is nothing to invest..
    just get a graphics card and start mining..

4. VanQ

VanQ New Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    my meaning of invest is that i need to get mobo cpu gpu power supply ram. a whole new pc just for mining. whats a recommended build for this?

5. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    I'm usually 100% transparent in my posts for people requesting help, but if you don't know what to buy to build a mining rig, then all I can say is you have a LOT of research to do before you even put the rig together or get it setup. All this has been done before over the years for other coins like Bitcoin, for example. There are plenty of recommended builds already. Just don't pay attention to the MH/s for anything about bitcoin. Mining decred will give you a different hash rate.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bitcoin+mining+rig&l=1#

EDIT: also see this thread about GPU performance with Decred.

6. MiloIce

MiloIce Jr. Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    If you have no idea of what kind of rig is best for you, I recommend that you purchase more decred and do PoS instead of PoW. As PoW requires more electricity and effort compared to PoS and it is also more costly. Having said that, if you're really into PoW and have spare time to read through all the hardware specs and software setups, then you're good to go.

By doing PoS with your 250 decred investment that you intend to put into PoW, you will get approx 50 odd tickets according to stake price now. You just need one of them to be voted per day to earn back more than what a single GPU can get you a day. And you would not need to worry much about the electricity if you're doing PoS.

Hope this helps! =)

7. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    #7 ClokworkGremlin, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    For what it's worth, 1 per 50 tickets per day is about 1/2 the per-ticket voting rate I'm getting. My Pi paid for the electricity it will use this year with the first ticket.

Or in other words, by your estimate, he's already ahead of the PoW game. Doubling down is only gravy from here.

[edit]Scratchpad math suggests that at current network hashrate, a pair of $300 GPUs could find about 1 block every 2 days for a current total of ~9 DCR/day. Of course, electricity is going to become a significant cost then... though I think it still ballparks to only ~100DCR/year out of ~3000 DCR earned over the course of a year.

Maybe I should look into mining...

MiloIce likes this.
  8. MiloIce

MiloIce Jr. Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    which gpu is that :eek:, I would like to look into that as well. getting a block every 2 days sounds not so bad for $600 gpu.

If I'm not mistaken, it takes 3.5 days or so for a 4gh to get a block according to current nethash?

9. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    That was the estimate that a single high-end GPU (GTX 970 or R9 290X, as per this site*) gets 2-3 Ghash/sec, based on what I've heard from elsewhere, and burns around 600-1000 watts. Do note that I have zero experience mining any coins, so if you really want to look at it, start asking around the mining forum.

*Videocardbenchmark and CPUBenchmark both use Passmark software, which has a known bias in favor of Intel CPUs and nVidia GPUs, so take the performance ratings there with a grain of salt.

10. MiloIce

MiloIce Jr. Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    I'm quite certain that you won't get 2-3 gh from those cards.. at most 1.5-1.9. If you're not into PoW yet, I suggest not unless you have a very cheap electricity/kwh rate or you have too much money to spare hahaha. I would say that using that amount of cash into PoS is more stable and less hassle for you. ^^.

11. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    That's still ~1 block every 4 days, but entirely right, there's a time investment to be considered as well as a money investment, and my time can be used for more certain and productive things than learning how to PoW mine.

12. MiloIce

MiloIce Jr. Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    sort of, and if you have bad luck.. its just gonna make mining worst haha

13. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    I am getting 1.285 GH/s on a 970 on default clock settings and it consumes 160-170W approx.

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  14. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    So 1.28 GH/s on a $300 card, some expense is required for the rest of the computer to put it in so we'll assume that eats the remaining money.
    The current network hashrate is 3.405 TH/s, so at 1.28GH/s you can expect 1 reward every 2650 blocks, or every ~9 days, so about 600 DCR in a year.

At my electricity costs, 165W means $160 in electricity costs for 1 year, or about 11% losses given current price estimates.

Assuming you bought a mainboard with expansion in mind, you should be able to buy another GPU in about 5 months to double your computing power, a 3rd in another 3 months, and a 4th in another 45 days. It's definitely a long-term investment at that stage.

All estimates use numbers as they are and make no attempt to adjust for the reduction in PoW reward or speculate on future DCR exchange rates.

418Sec likes this.
  15. skillfulhacking

skillfulhacking New Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Ethical Hacker
    Here is the github link for the release versions of CGminer (0.0.5 currently) you need to use to mine with GPU's
    https://github.com/decred/cgminer/releases
    It is in your best interest to join a pool to keep variance down and payments more consistent.