How Do You Buy Tickets?

Discussion in 'Tickets' started by Dyrk, Aug 18, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
?

Which software do you use to purchase tickets?

1. dcrwallet purchaseticket (manual mode)

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. dcrwallet --enablestakeminig (auto purchase mode)

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. dcrticketbuyer

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Desktop GUI wallet

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. I combine few methods

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    Hey guys, please vote which option do you use to purchase tickets. Are you happy with it or do you want something different? What do you want more: an easy to use desktop client, mobile application or web wallet?

Are you ready to accept the risk of using some public dcrd node? So you shouldn't wait 24 hours, but you can just install the app and start using it within few seconds.

PS: i am using "dcrwallet purchaseticket (manual mode)" + the best stakepool.

chappjc likes this.
  2. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    Cross-posting answer from abrakadabra in bitcointalk:

if the price is less than 22 DCR, then dcrwallet --enablestakeminig (auto purchase mode)
    if the price is higher than 22 DCR but lower than 27 DCR, then dcrwallet purchaseticket (manual mode)
    I'm not using dcrticketbuyer, because it's too complicated
    I think that Desktop GUI wallet is useless, because it requires either another voting wallet or a pool

3. chappjc

chappjc Full Member
    Developer Pool Operator (PoS)

#3 chappjc, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    I would suggest to wait until late in the price period, usually after 55/144, check the fees and decide if you need to wait longer. If the fees are reasonable, and the top 20 is not stuffed up, set fees appropriately, then buy with purchaseticket, or enablestakemining if you need to purchase more than a few blocks worth.

Dyrk likes this.
  4. girino

girino New Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Male
    I use a mix of dcrticketbuyer and manual purchase. dcrticketbuyer fails frequently when prices drop too low: It tries to buy as soon as the price changes, and had no time to evaluate a good ticketfee value, so the buy fails (in 11 blocks with default config, i think). Than it doesn't try again until the price changes again.

On those cases i buy tickets manually.

And the best pool is Decred Brasil :-D

As a stake pool admin, I really think a ticket buying option on the web wallet would be great. Most people do not stake mine because it is too hard for them to use a command line wallet. Taking a full day to sync the wallet also drives users away. Buying from the web wallet should be the easier way for end users. (I've had users complain that they lost an opportunity to buy tickets because their wallet took to long to resync after a long time turned off)

joaoharter and Emilio Mann like this.
  5. Tivra

Tivra Member
    Advocate (BitcoinTalk)

Dec 30, 2015
    Europe
    #5 Tivra, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Good poll. I'm still on dcrwallet --enablestakemining ... the dcrticketbuyer tool wasn't intuitive to me - I tried to set it up but it didn't behave as I expected it to. I'm sure it's a great tool but it just didn't "click" with me. No reason to use GUI either - once you know CLI, why even bother with GUI? I check dcrstats.com and then calibrate auto-purchase with --enablestakemining - I see no reason to change this now.

chappjc and Johnshpon3 like this.
  6. adam2312

adam2312 Jr. Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Male
    Still using --enablestakemining; it works, well.

I anticipate moving to GUI once refined to the point voting on things is a reality as well as I'm clicking yes or no as my vote for those things.

chappjc likes this.
  7. Johnshpon3

Johnshpon3 Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Telecommunications
    Slovenia
    #7 Johnshpon3, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Still using --enablestakemining and command line. It will be no changes for me any time soon ;).

8. N3wb1e

N3wb1e New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Europe
    Command line and auto purchase, works fine for me =)

9. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    So far poll results are quite interesting.
    Everyone was waiting for the gui wallet with PoS feature and The Big Bump at the exchange.
    But in reality 0 people using gui wallet o_O

10. N3wb1e

N3wb1e New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Europe
    No need to change working setup, i like oldschool cmdline. But GUI is necessary for non-technical users, no doubt about it.

David and chappjc like this.
  11. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    So I've been running my wallet with -enablestakemining, and something really weird started happening a couple of months ago.

The ticket price will drop into my buy zone
    My wallet will buy up as many tickets as it can
    The price readjusts out of the buy zone
    My totals revert to whatever they were before the buying spree.

It's almost as if the chain that all of my ticket purchases were on gets forked away, except that looking back through the wallet, there's no reorganization. The fees are paid, but the tickets are gone.

12. chappjc

chappjc Full Member
    Developer Pool Operator (PoS)

@ClokworkGremlin Sounds a lot like they aren't getting mined because ticket fees are too low. Turn on debuglevel=debug and should see a message about expiring ticket purchases (sstx) at the end of the price window you were in.

13. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Alright, I've increased my ticket fee, will check next round and see if that does it.

Bought a couple of tickets while the price was high and nobody else was interested. They seem to have stuck around. For now, at least.

14. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Latest round came and went and all that happened was I lost 0.1dcr to ticket fees on tickets that didn't stay. Increased fee again.

Some of you people are paying entirely too much for your tickets.

David likes this.
  15. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    I agree. People are paying nearly 1 DCR for fees... totally different strategy than what my investment calculations have suggested!

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  16. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    That's going to come back to bite them in a couple of months when the per-ticket stake reward drops below 1DCR.

17. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    I don't disagree with the sentiment, however, I did want to point out that the per-ticket stake reward won't drop below 1DCR until block 393216, which will likely be somewhere around Q4 in 2019.

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  18. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Good news for me. I was expecting the rewards to die off a bit faster than that. Turns out if you're paying a 1DCR exchange fee for your tickets right now, though, you're only cheating yourself.

19. Adriano

Adriano New Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Male
    I have always been using -enablestakemining during Solo Mining and been all ok so far.
    Have noticed that on V.0.7 when started my wallet was informed that the -enablestakeminig was deprecated. Can I still use on V.08?
    Is there a command to buy more tickets at the same block?
    Sometimes I see that even with a good fee I cannot buy so many tickets and stay with balance spendable left. Would it be better to set another computer on Solo Mining to be able to buy more tickets?

20. jcv

jcv Full Member
    Developer

I know I'm replying to this part late, but 24 hours for dcrd seems a bit much. Last time I did an IBD as a benchmark I got better times than that on a raspberrypi writing to a cheap sd card:

https://github.com/decred/dcrd/issues/544