How Do You Buy Tickets?

Discussion in 'Tickets' started by Dyrk, Aug 18, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
?

Which software do you use to purchase tickets?

1. dcrwallet purchaseticket (manual mode)

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. dcrwallet --enablestakeminig (auto purchase mode)

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. dcrticketbuyer

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Desktop GUI wallet

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. I combine few methods

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    I would like to see a ticket purchase process that allows me to set a max AND min price for tickets AND fees both txfee / ticketfee. This will allow me to better tune my stake buys around these numbskulls paying 1DCR fees.
    I want to be able to not buy in the lowest round and get outspent on fees and lose them but still buy in middle rounds with sane fees. I would like to be able to dynamically purchase tickets. Meaning I dont even want a purchase command to go out unless my criteria are met. I want to be able to string out stake purchases 1 at a time or 50 at once.
    Correct me if I am wrong you can do some of this right now but not all of it?

Johnshpon3 and ClokworkGremlin like this.
  2. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Alternately, maybe a "wait X time before attempting to purchase" would be nice. Most of the cheap tickets get bought up in the first couple of blocks, but the cats sometimes don't settle down until after the buying period is over. Being able to start buying tickets after the price has been set for 4 hours, and all the aforementioned "numbskulls" have emptied their wallets, should be the best of both worlds.

Or maybe both.

3. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    I am not sure if time based is the right way to look at it. It all depends on the fees for me. I want to make sure I am not paying too much, both fees and stake, and dont want to lose fees because I didnt set it high enough and dont get my stakes included. It would need to be looking at the avg trend of fees for X previous blocks. Check the mempool size. Check to see if those previous blocks had 20 stakes or less. Then make a decision based on that. Just like what I do manually right now.

As a side note I am amazed that a stake ticket now costs $150+(50+dcr @ $3) Even at $80(40dcr @ $2) I was amazed. Go decred! I would love to see stakes go to $5000(??dcr @ $???)!

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  4. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Point being that you wait until the 1DCR fees have worked their way out of the system. I'm working under the assumption that they can't possibly keep that up for the entire period. I might be wrong.

Time seemed like the easiest way to do it. Wait 4 hours and see if everyone else is done trying to make it hail, then come in afterwards. Alternately, you could check each block for fees and only attempt to buy if the fees are below a certain threshold, or you could wait until 3 minutes after a block is mined to try and get a good idea of what the fees are going to be for that block and decide whether you want to buy stake tickets.

All of these are subject to failure points, of course.

5. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Numbskulls have been able to tie up a whole round in the past. But that was when there were a few rounds in between the lowest and the highest price. Since 0.8.0 it seems to have smoothed out a bit even if the stake price has gone up 33%. This seems to be working better as stake buys are trickling in rather than a mobbed mempool with 3000 tickets in it.