I Am A Pos Noob In Need Of Assistance

Discussion in 'PoS Pools' started by BoMBeR, Mar 25, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. BoMBeR

BoMBeR New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Ok so I tried to use the search before asking this question except I'm not exactly sure what keywords to search, so on to my post...

I finally moved my airdrop into staking once the PoS pool went live. However now I am a little confused on where my decred went. I understand that tickets were bought correct. (atleast im assuming)
    "live": 18,
    and i also see that I have funds left over of
    "balance": 2.50533485
    I check the webwallet it says i have 0 decred. Which is where my confusion comes in. I am assuming either i unsynched something or i dont know? I am concerned I might be doing something wrong. I have more decred sitting on the market that I want to invest into the PoS. however I want to make sure I am doing everything properly. I dont want my funds to get lost or accidentally sent somewhere I didnt want it to go.

2. MiloIce

MiloIce Jr. Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    once you staked all your coins into PoS, the balance returned to you is kept in another address. Therefore not able to be seen in your web wallet. Rest assure that your coins is still in your PoS address wallet, just that it is returned to another address after finish purchasing the tickets.

3. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    Personally I dont prefer using webwallet. And it is recommended that u dont use both the web wallet and local wallet together.

And as far as the balance is concerned u can check it with-
    dcrctl -u "username" -P "password" --wallet getbalance "default" 0 all

Let "default" remain as such unless u created a new account.

4. BoMBeR

BoMBeR New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Ok thank you for the command. Is their also a command to list the different address that i might have created?

5. BoMBeR

BoMBeR New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    #5 BoMBeR, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    I am just confused because I believe in the pos pool guide it had me create a new wallet address. The validate address is different then my airdrop address. I will also stop using the webwallet that way i dont continue to booger things up
    Ohh yea and both of these said address have a 0 balance on https://mainnet.decred.org hence why i want to know how to list addresses.

6. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    I sorta didn't get u
    What all did u do?

7. BoMBeR

BoMBeR New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Hmm I wish I could explain it better however i dont fully grasp what I am doing yet. I should have just used my airdrop address and I probably wouldnt be so lost.
    I am pretty sure I followed this guide:
    https://forum.decred.org/threads/br...-included-with-basic-commands-os-neutral.478/
    along with using the steps by step instructions:
    https://stakepool.decred.org/

I did save the new address the first guide gave me however it shows me a 0 balance with 0 transactions
    My airdrop just has the 2 transactions of receiving the airdrop then sending it to the PoS with a 0 balance remainder
    How do I follow the paper trail leading to my left over decred?
    I also really appreciate your help!

./dcrctl -u myUN -P myPW --wallet listaddresses
    Unrecognized command 'listaddresses'
    So unfortunately that command didnt work.

8. brencelj

brencelj New Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Can you try this commands and tell me if you see your dcr:
    Code:
    ./dcrctl -u XY -P XY --wallet getbalance 'default' 0 all
    ./dcrctl -u XY -P XY --wallet getbalance 'default' 0 locked
    ./dcrctl -u XY -P XY --wallet getbalance 'default' 0 spendable

9. BoMBeR

BoMBeR New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Im not explaining this right i guess... I see the decred with these commands

(i have no idea how i knew to type imported must have stumbled upon that last night) default all only shows the 2.5
    \dcrctl -u user -P password --wallet getbalance imported 0 locked

\dcrctl -u user-P password --wallet getbalance

That leftover 2.5 isnt in my airdrop address of DsXQjk2LhmANwvh4KypAE61gFDRQAweGiw3

10. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    I just understood ur issue.
    Have u tried waiting?
    Usually it takes time for all this. Even I have balance display issues. All will be fixed with time. Don't worry. :)

11. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA

It's not in your airdrop address because of the way transactions and change work. It's in your wallet (which can consist of thousands of addresses depending on how many transactions you've made so far) - just not at that address.

Don't get too caught up on what address has what amount. When you sent your first stake ticket purchase, it sent all of your Decred in for the purchase, and then you received change back at a different address. This process continued until you bought enough tickets to meet your "balancetomaintain" and "ticketmaxprice" flags in dcrwallet (assuming you setup to automatically buy tickets). This is how transactions in the network work. This is also why immediately after creating a transaction your balance will show zero Decred, regardless of the amount sent in the transaction. I believe your change comes back into the "spendable" category immediatly after your transaction is confirmed (1 confirmation). To find which address your 2.5 Decred is at, you'd have to look at your last "send" transaction using dcrctl -u user -P password --wallet listtransactions, lookup that txid in the block explorer, and click the plus sign right under "Details" on the transaction's page. For stake ticket change, it will show "Type sstxchange" underneath the address where your change went back to.

In summary - what you are seeing is normal. It's nothing to worry about. It will become very difficult to keep track of all your addresses if you try to do so. I would suggest instead focusing on "getbalance spendable", "getbalance locked", and "getbalance all" for balance tracking.

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  12. BoMBeR

BoMBeR New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Ok thank you david that makes a lot more sense on why i didnt ever see a balance on any of those addresses.
    So by sending funds back to my airdrop address it will once again have a balance to it until my first transaction with the new balance? I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. I am sorry for the complete noobiness of my questions, and I am probably just over complicating things.

13. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    You don't have to send funds back to your airdrop address. Your wallet contains many addresses, and the balance shown is a sum of the balances of each address. There isn't really a great analogy for this, which is why it may be difficult to understand... But let's say you purchase a movie ticket with a single $100 bill. You hand the cashier your single bill, and now your wallet is temporarily empty. The cashier then hands you back your movie ticket and your change, which you put back into your wallet. The change looks different, and it still goes back into your wallet, but now maybe you put it behind a different credit card or in some other order. Does it matter where exactly in your wallet it goes? No. The point is, it's in your wallet, and now you have a movie ticket.

That's about as far as that analogy can reasonably go before losing its parallel to a Decred transaction. We're not trading Decred for entertainment, we're trading it for voting rights and a return on investment. (Although it is quite entertaining!) So instead of sitting in a dark room and wasting 2+ hours of your life, you'll participate in a system of the future and be rewarded for doing so! New addresses are created for every transaction to maintain anonymity and security, so your address count will eventually rise into the thousands.

I don't understand "it will once again have a balance to it until my first transaction with the new balance". Hopefully my explanation will help you understand more clearly or help you rephrase your question more clearly.

14. BoMBeR

BoMBeR New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I don't understand "it will once again have a balance to it until my first transaction with the new balance". Hopefully my explanation will help you understand more clearly or help you rephrase your question more clearly.

What i meant by that was. What wallet address do i use to receive decred since the address always changes.
    Say I bought some decred off the market. where would i send it? I always thought it worked like a bank account number where the address was linked to me. It seems I was far off on the matter though.

15. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    Oh, okay! If you want to recieve funds, the proper way to do so is to generate a new address by using the command:
    Code:
    dcrctl -u user -P password --wallet getnewaddress
    You "could" use your airdrop address or any one of your other addresses, but it's not recommended.

Each address is technically linked to you. The addresses you use are the result of a cryptographic algorithm that uses your private keys (and many other inputs) to generate one. It's near impossible to reverse engineer an address and find out who it belongs to. However, your wallet will always know if an address belongs to you or not. You can verify if an address is yours by using the command:
    Code:
     dcrctl -u user -P password --wallet getaccount "address"

BoMBeR likes this.
  16. BoMBeR

BoMBeR New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    #16 BoMBeR, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Thank you very much! You made this clear as day for me. I appreciate everybody that helped me out. Sorry for all the noob questions. I was so lost at the start.

Oh however that command didnt work for me but this one did
    Code:
    dcrctl -u  user -P pass --wallet getaccountaddresses "account"

David likes this.
  17. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    @BoMBeR read this article on how Deterministic wallets work, that's what almost all cryptocoin wallets (including dcrwallet) do these days.

In short: When Bitcoin first started, a "wallet" was an address pair: public and private.
    Now, a "wallet" is a collection of address pairs generated deterministically using a pseudorandom number generator and a 256-bit seed.

It's generally much safer and more secure than the old technique, but with the additional requirement that a deterministic wallet needs to scan through a list of generated addresses to get the full balance, and if it doesn't scan enough then it'll miss some funds. This is usually remedied by a manual scan, but the addresses will also eventually appear if the wallet is used long enough.

David likes this.