I Have No Idea Where To Begin

Discussion in 'Proof-of-stake Mining' started by proletariat, May 11, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. proletariat

proletariat New Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    Hello, I've held and foolishly kept on buying more coins at all prices. Silly me didn't think my investment would get hammered so bad thinking 'hodling' a strong coin with a strong team would be enough. Market cap is probably around the same but of course if one does not create more coins you are left hanging. I didn't and don't have time to learn CLI but fuck it, fuck my job which pays the bills (it has come down to this) I'll take time from my job and possibly screwup deadlines to finally try to salvage what is left of my worth. /end rant.

No experience with command line, don't know what to ask apart from where do i begin, what guide should I follow, do I stake on a pool..... halp.

2. eshriek

eshriek New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    I know the feeling. CLI can be frustrating and it often leaves me feeling hopeless. That is just command line, add crypto and the frustration is exponential. I would suggest being prepared for decred value to go well under $1USD (not saying it will, but it could easily happen.)

There are several guides for staking. dcrstats.org is a site I reference daily. There are some tutorials there.

Staking on a pool is less of a frustration but more risk. Only you can determine what is appropriate. I am somewhat familiar with CLI (using linux off and on for 10+ years) Solo PoS can be a lot of frustration. If you decide to go that route, try to think of the frustration as the reward. The frustrations are the things that are not understood. The reward is understanding and overcoming them. Gaining some crypto just a really nice bonus imo.

When you say that you will take from your job, I don't think it is possible (because I have thought of it too.) You only end up taking from yourself.

3. Tivra

Tivra Member
    Advocate (BitcoinTalk)

Dec 30, 2015
    Europe
    #3 Tivra, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  4. proletariat

proletariat New Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for the replies guys. Also got one fairly detailed via PM.

5. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    There's a link in my signature to a walkthrough to set up a Raspberry Pi for staking. With the stake pools going up, it's getting a little out-of-date since there are now easier and cheaper ways to stake your coins, but it does still work and I still run my wallet on my Pi.

There's also a mention at the top that if you don't want to or can't spend the time setting it up, I'll do so for the cost of parts + a small labor fee. You won't even have to take any time out of work.

Tivra likes this.
  6. proletariat

proletariat New Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    I got dcrd, dcrwallet and dcrtl running.... I've unlocked my wallet with no timeout but I get "401 Unauthorized" when trying to getbalance.. and the wallet reports "[WRN] RPCS: Unauthorized client connection attempt"

Stuck...

7. eshriek

eshriek New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    You are using windows 10? I mostly use linux and I am not as knowledgeable as many here so my help may be limited to the following:

Post your config files or if you are doing everything on the command line then post the commands you are using for dcrd, dcrwallet, and dcrtl

8. eshriek

eshriek New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    I get 401 when I don't have the correct password. Could be when you have dcrd and dcrwallet running but then you are flipping the username and password when you run dcrctl. When you use dcrctl you should use the user and password that you used for the wallet, not the dcrd.

are you using the most current version? Probably not an issue but wouldn't hurt to include the version you are using

9. proletariat

proletariat New Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    I tried unlocking the wallet with no timeout and it works fine. Immediately after i type dcrctl --wallet getbalance and get 401 unauthorized

10. proletariat

proletariat New Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    oh forgot. I'm on windows 7 and my version is 0.1.2

11. proletariat

proletariat New Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Male

AHH!! I think i figured out my mistake. I thought i only had to type my credentials once and have only been trying with dcrtl -wallet xxx and not using -u and -p

12. eshriek

eshriek New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
  13. proletariat

proletariat New Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Male

weird.. I even searched google and didn't get that result.
    Thanks a bunch man.

Cheers.

14. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    That can be confusing. A lot of the commands you see posted in the forum will omit the user/pass info. It is assumed you are using a user/pass for all dcrctl commands.

15. proletariat

proletariat New Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    the basic guide was a little ambiguous in some parts like "First, the wallet username. You have not used this before, so just make one up. It is only used to allow the control program to connect to the wallet."

That right there got me to hit a wall a couple of times - sounds like "make another one up" and, at least with me, it didn't work. It was the same user pass as the previous. two in dcrd and dcrwallt... Also, creating a 2nd layer password got confusing as hell too.... pretty small insignificant details that can get new people like me pulling our hair out.

Right now: the documentation says that if I unlock my wallet with a timeout of 0 it will last at leas until I close that session. Tested receiving and sending a couple of times after i closed that cmd window... and it is sending without requiring a password..!! .....

doing these things with the minimum balance until I'm comfortable sending my stash there to start staking...

So.. ehh... any ideas why it is not asking me for my wallet password?

16. root

root Member

Feb 3, 2016
    I did not use the other password for my wallet, but I can assure you walletpassphrase and walletlock commands are responsible for your wallet lock/unlock. While being locked my wallet was not voting and I missed some reward.

It is not enough to close your "dcrctl" window - dcrwallet is still running. May be description step by step would clarify the problem.

17. proletariat

proletariat New Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for the clarifying this bit. that was the issue. I now have my balance in my wallet.... time for staking!