Jesse Was A Thief

Discussion in 'Meta' started by RegenX, Mar 2, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    #21 ClokworkGremlin, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    The fact that the guy was going by Jesse Pinkman should have been a huge tip-off. Like going to a cafe where the head chef's name is DahlmerDahmer.

koolykg and David like this.
  2. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    #22 RegenX, Mar 9, 2016
    I go by Regenx,
    everyone on earth uses aliases, which is why I did not even bother googling his alias. Who even watches TV fiction anymore?
    Not me. I have not subscribed to TV in ten years . I outgrew my interest in TV fiction when I was about 16.
    I was told that the developers would be able to trace this scumbag via IP address and other information provided, but so far they
    have not done that. On top of that I have been buried with sneers and jeers about how I 'gave my coins away' by accepting the 'help' of a lying thief.
    This does not inspire much confidence in Decred, and the fact that the forum seems to advocate such posts ....seems to 'Decred' the image of Decred in some ways.

I am CONSIDERING buying some Decred, but right now...having some serious doubts about this .
    I was going to be a full time advocate and promoter of Decred once I had my Airdrop secured, but I was blocked from securing my airdrop by a glitch at the online Decred wallet site which incorrectly ruled my 33 seed as an invalid seed, when David and I proved the next day that the seed had been perfectly valid.

I am in Canada on bitterly small pension and barely maintaining my health with debilitating chronic pain and deplorable housing adding to my decline. Decred was a lifeline of hope to me. The Airdrop amounted to nearly $1000 Canadian, with early indications that its value might escalate rapidly.

So I am in a situation where my valid seed was rejected and blocked long enough for a scumbag to take it all from me, and my reporting it here met with some high profile Decred members jeering and sneering at me with essentially "oh you lost your freebie, wah" and at the same time putting the word out to the developers not to spend time helping people who got ripped off.

and even those capable of finding out who this thief is, are refusing to do so .....

Not much there to inspire confidence. Do I see a high eventual valuation for this? Is it worth the risk to invest it , at this rate?
    And I will say this. If the attitude of 'sucks to be you, fool' responses keep flowing toward me as they have, I will be forced to cancel any plans to invest what small amount of money I have in this , and probably begin to make known what has gone on here on a number of other discussion boards.

3. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    #23 ClokworkGremlin, Mar 9, 2016
    You know, I was composing a giant wall of text here, but I suddenly realized I could write until the action of my typing eroded the mountains, Earth went cold, the Sun burned out, and the universe began to die and it wouldn't get through to you, so instead I'll ask a simple question.

Who gave your 33-word seed to Jesse?

Was it me?
    Was it David?
    Was it any of the Decred staff members?

Who gave your 33-word seed to Jesse?

koolykg likes this.
  4. koolykg

koolykg Jr. Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 1, 2016
    Female
    Regenx. People have not jeered and sneered you. People were stating how they felt about the situation (Our first amendment right).My heart went out and still goes out to you. I only had a problem when you compared this to a mugging. Being a victim of a real life robbery, I took this personal. I also expressed my concerns about what you did, because it was posted on a banner in the forum, not to give your 33 word seed away. You can do what you want to to defame Decred on other forums, but I think that the project's integrity will speak for itself. I will pray for you and your health condition as I am a healthcare provider and have empathy. I will also pray for Decred and members in this project so that it will prosper, and be able to withstand the potential harm that might come its way.

5. ZomaX

ZomaX Member
    Designer

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by what has gone on here. Yes, someone did something wrong to you, but you can't say you weren't given a fair warning. Everyone in this thread was just basically saying that sharing your seed wasn't smart regardless of the situation - I doubt they meant to insult you in any way. The Decred project has already come so far, and you should be able to see the great potential. There will always be those who will exploit anyone and everyone they can, but that isn't what Decred supports. Though not receiving your Airdrop is a very unfortunate setback, I hope that - for your own sake - you do decide to 'put down arms' and invest in Decred.

koolykg likes this.
  6. koolykg

koolykg Jr. Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 1, 2016
    Female
    I could not have said it better myself Zomax. I just hope that RegenX rethinks the possibility to bad mouth Decred.

7. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    He's mostly just mad that the Decred staff won't give him the guy's address so he can visit him with an aluminum baseball bat.

Which is why the Decred staff won't give out personal information unless said information is subpoenaed as evidence. If RegenX wants that, he's going to have to file a police report. (Which is entirely reasonable. On the order of $600US of legally-recognized property was stolen from him.)

Lee Sharp, ZomaX and koolykg like this.
  8. koolykg

koolykg Jr. Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 1, 2016
    Female
    True!!!!

9. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    thank you for a useful post.
    Now I know why Decred cannot provide the name, now I know why the police have got to handle this.
    I am going to report this to the police , now that I finally know know what's going on here.

After six to ten days of "you were warned not to give anyone your seed, therefore you willingly handed $10,000 away, so suck it up , Buttercup" being chanted, we finally get to this.

koolykg likes this.
  10. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    I thought it would have been pretty obvious, given the way most companies handle privacy. The forum doesn't really have a privacy policy in place as-such yet, but that's another reason why it's good to set a precedent.

Good luck with the investigation. I don't hold much faith in the police taking it seriously, but they might, and they have certain tools that average people don't for tracking things like this down.

koolykg likes this.
  11. Finksy

Finksy New Member
    Translator (Français)

Feb 9, 2016
    I can empathize with regen, he was taken advantage of and probably feels pretty shitty and embarrassed about it already. The fact that people are taking it upon themselves to rub his nose in it would piss me off too.

But again, to take it out on the community as a whole? Be the better man, hold your head high and believe in Karma. If you purchased decred yourself afterwards, you could be making back the airdrop by staking it as I did (my airdrop application was dismissed during the review for some reason, and I didn't get it either). At the end of the day, if you believe in decred and the project as a whole, this event should not have shaken your belief. If you were just in it for the free money grab, then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

koolykg, David and ClokworkGremlin like this.
  12. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    I'm going to be honest, I would advise RegenX not to buy any more Decred at the moment. Not until he can look at the "why did you give away your seed" comments as advice instead of abuse, which is probably going to take a couple of months.

Until then, his wallet just isn't safe, because he's probably going to do the same thing all over again.

Yes, it's blunt to say, but do you want someone who tells you it's alright no matter what happens, or someone who's up front when everything's going wrong?

koolykg, knurdtech and ZomaX like this.
  13. Lee Sharp

Lee Sharp Sr. Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Independent Consultant
    Houston, Texas
    You were doing so well... Why the last line?

Anyway, if the police do nothing (a real possibility) you also have another option. I know how this works fully in the US, but not sure how it works across borders... In the US, go to a JP court and file a case against "John Doe" and use that filing to compel Decred to give the court his information. At that point, you can refile in his jurisdiction. This may be good since fraud in Texas is triple damages, so (287*3*2) $1722 plus court fees.

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  14. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    How did we do this without you, Lee?

Ayush and Lee Sharp like this.
  15. Lee Sharp

Lee Sharp Sr. Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Independent Consultant
    Houston, Texas
    Suffered quietly in a world devoid of life and meaning... ;)

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  16. RegenX

RegenX Jr. Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    that last line was not in reference to this thread, it was in reference to another thread where this 'Jesse' user was
    also being discussed.

17. toad

toad New Member

Feb 9, 2016
    Male
    Hello RegenX,

What happened to you is a sad story and since my Jeep Cherokee was stolen last fall, I know what feelings you are going trough. I'am following the crypto scene since 6 yrs now and unfortunately, you are just a new victim of an online crypto scam. There are dozen of new cases like that that popup each days in the crypto world. Ethereum users got stolen, BTC users got stolen, LTC users got stolen, it's a fact and it happens as we are typing/reading. It even happens at real banks since scammers send very well made phishing emails all over the world , 24/7. The net is a dangerous place. Even the most rich and famous gets scammed:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...n/news-story/dca450aaf688906f19fa16bb3b352c0d

Unfortunately, you'll never have you coins back. Take this as a lesson and comeback stronger/wiser.

koolykg likes this.
  18. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
  19. toad

toad New Member

Feb 9, 2016
    Male
    @ClokworkGremlin Yeah I know, he will never have his coins back either. Some ppl lost way more than that in the MtGox fiasco.

koolykg likes this.