Microsoft Azure Partners

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bill Threewits, Mar 8, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    #1 Bill Threewits, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    I have noticed Microsoft partnering with many blockchain-based competitors. Do these partners simply merge their respective blockchains? Are we just a fork off of BTC blockchain? I am not sure how the chains work.

Tivra likes this.
  2. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Microsoft puts money into things they think will benefit them, and those things in turn gain market share because they have the benefit of Microsoft's funding. (See also: everyone knows about C#, but when I talk about the frankly superior D, which was launched the same year, people say "what's that?")

You can't merge separate blockchains, which is part of why the blockchain datastructure is so secure. A blockchain is basically a linked list with an added level of cryptographic security added. Each block points to the one behind it, all the way down to the origin block which doesn't point to anything else. The security comes from that extra cryptographic layer on top, which ensures that no block can be changed without altering its hash, thus making that block invalid to the rest of the chain.

The only fork off the Bitcoin blockchain is Bitcoin. Every cryptocurrency presently in existence, however, owes its heritage to the concept of the blockchain, which was pioneered with Bitcoin.