Missing Dcr

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Bill Threewits, Mar 12, 2017.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    I show balance in "default" 0 but not in getbalance. I have no tickets. Anyone know how this can be?
    upload_2017-3-12_19-31-23.png

2. gravityz3r0

gravityz3r0 New Member

Feb 28, 2016
    #2 gravityz3r0, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Why not update to the latest 0.8.0? It shows you a great deal more information with getbalance.

Back to your question, i'm guessing you have some DCR stucked because some of your "missed" tickets are not revoked in the past. As you can see, missed = 54, revoked = 33. Meaning 54-33 = 21 worth of tickets are still stuck and not fully returned to you yet. If you bought the ticket at about 15-20DCR each, that would explain the 300DCR you are missing.

To remedy this, run this command :

dcrctl -username -pass --wallet rebroadcastmissed

You should get a output in your wallet saying the command is successfully executed and wait about 24 hours before the funds are returned. To know that it's succesful, you can check again your getstakeinfo to make sure that revoked = missed.

Bill Threewits likes this.
  3. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    Pretty sure you are correct. I did not know I needed to do that. Thank you very much.
    Oh, I am getting out of AWS as its free service has an intolerably slow connection. I agree with you on the wallet update. Project is coming along nicely!

4. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    Hi again. My revoked went up to 54 now. Has not been 24 hrs but weird it adjusted right away in that direction. My balance still remains. Normal?:
    upload_2017-3-13_16-40-50.png

5. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    I would suggest moving to the latest version 0.8.2. The wallet gives you much better insight when you call getbalance as to which category the funds are in which should help make it clear.

6. gravityz3r0

gravityz3r0 New Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Your revoked will be updated instantly the moment u run the command, but the funds will take time (about 24 hours) to return.

7. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    Okay, good to know. I will check in again tomorrow.

8. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    So, this solution worked for all but 35 DCR. (thanks again) In that I cannot find the original string of words that made up the key for the wallet, I cannot upgrade the wallet. Is there any other thing you can think of to free up the missing DCR? Here is another screenshot of the current state. Thanks!
    upload_2017-3-23_19-38-39.png

9. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    Did you wait 256 blocks since the revocation took place? The coins have to mature before they are spendable again.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see from above you have.

10. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    I see that your wallet is really old. I don't remember exactly which version removed the seed from the database to prevent exactly what I'm about to suggest, but you might to get lucky here if it's still old enough to not have removed it yet.

Try starting dcrwallet with the --unsafemainnet flag and then issuing dcrctl --wallet getseed.

Assuming that works, you can upgrade to v0.8.2 and recreate the wallet using the existing seed and everything will very likely show back up.

EDIT: If this does work for you, please, please, pretty please, save your seed in a safe location where you can't lose it. This trick will no longer work in new versions and if you lose your seed and anything goes wrong like this again, you WILL lose your funds.

Suraj and ClokworkGremlin like this.
  11. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    Aww. Thought I was rescued. Thank you all the same, Dave:
    upload_2017-3-23_21-9-36.png

12. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    Alright, so I have another idea. Let's try this. First, make a backup of your existing wallet.db in case we screw it up doing this (it should be under %LOCALAPPDATA%\Dcrwallet\mainnet\wallet.db).

After that, we're going to have to get into the weeds and build a utility from source to drop the wallet's transaction manager which will force it to effectively restore itself.

From the looks of it you were on 0.3.0, so we're going to have to build https://github.com/decred/dcrwallet/tree/v0.3.0/cmd/dropwtxmgr.

Are you setup for building? If not, I can build it and put it somewhere for you.

Suraj likes this.
  13. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    Negative. Not set up to build a utility. I follow you so far, though. I will need instructions to do this.

14. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Have you tried using the "rescanwallet" command?

Once you get all of your credits recovered, you should create a new wallet with an up-to-date version of the software, record the seed somewhere safe, and move all of your credits over there. If you stay stuck in an outdated wallet, it's liable to stop working at some point.

15. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    This is effectively what I'm aiming to have him do, but unfortunately, it wasn't introduced until v0.7.0 and he is unable upgrade because newer wallets require the seed to upgrade and that's what he's missing.

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  16. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    Alright, it's a pretty involved process, so I'll give you a quick rundown.
    • If you don't already have it, install Go (I suggest v1.7.5) and follow their setup instructions regarding setting up a GOPATH.
      • Make sure you add %GOPATH%\bin to your system path so things installed there are available to the CLI
    • If you don't already have it, install Git for Windows.
    • Download glide and put the executable in %GOPATH%\bin.
    • Get the dcrwallet source code and deps:
      Code:
      git clone https://github.com/decred/dcrwallet %GOPATH%/src/github.com/decred/dcrwallet
      cd %GOPATH%\src\github.com\decred/dcrwallet
      glide install
    • Checkout the old version 0.3.0 code:
      Code:
      git checkout v0.3.0
    • Build and install the utility to %GOPATH\bin:
      Code:
      cd cmd\dropwtxmgr
      go install
    • Finally, make sure you have a backup of you wallet as previously mentioned before doing this, run the utility, and answer yes when prompted to drop the transactions:
      Code:
      dropwtxmgr

At this point, start up dcrwallet as you normally would and it should go through a big rescan. Hopefully your funds will be available again. Then you can send them off to your a new wallet address for which you have the seed.

17. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    Sorry, real slow for me.
    Regarding "Make sure you add %GOPATH%\bin to your system path"
    -For install path default is C:\Go\
    -Change path to ???

18. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    The default install path for Go is fine. Part of the install instructions for setting up Go is to setup an additional GOPATH to somewhere that is not the same as the installation location in order to house the code. You can chose whatever you want. For example, "C:\MyGo".

To make it easier, I just built it for you and put it on dropbox here. Feel free to continue building from source if you prefer that approach. I completely understand as I'm a security nut as well which is why I provided the instructions!

Code:
    SHA256(dropwtxmgr-0.3.0.exe)= 44647e877dfe50832c5137487e8e3844ba04f1f5991d3536e2c0fd6a9fcf7d41
    SHA512(dropwtxmgr-0.3.0.exe)= e51389c46df2b8faab6f730a3cd8f161b651e0b50f7467604d791fd68bf68b3d991f36bdc73824fc5d2b900711923ee08a871a8d28c2550b941c1307ab17b695

19. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    Not at all; I completely trust you. Working on this. (thanks)

20. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    Just repopulated from DCRD command, then opened wallet. It is now looking like a brand new wallet with getstakeinfo command and 0 balance.