Release New Miner Binaries Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by jolan, Apr 27, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. jy-p

jy-p Sr. Member
    Organizer

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for the feedback regarding hashrates and intensity with the v0.1.0 miner binaries. This is useful in that it makes it clear what miners are expecting from the software.

In order to get a better read on what is causing the drops in speed, please include all the information about your configuration:
    • OS
    • miner version(s)
    • card type and number per rig
    • driver version(s)
    • hashrate
    • intensity
    We will give particular combinations that are problematic more attention as we make progress with the miner binary releases.

zero likes this.
  2. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    #22 zero, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    cgminer v0.0.4:
    cgminer v0.1.0:
    Note about drivers: Since the start of Decred mining about 3 months ago, I always update to the latest AMD drivers even the beta/hotfix ones with no differences on hashrate with cgminer v0.0.4 until now. I always make clean install of the drivers and I've disabled Windows 10 automatic drivers installation.

I also post my sgminer results since all Decred PoW pools support stratum at this time and it's the only mining solution for mining Decred over stratum on pools for AMD VGAs by now. I believe the Decred team should take a better look at sgminer for this reason and give an official release for it as well in the future. I also hope we'll have a universal Decred gominer in the future.

sgminer Windows x64 vc2013 binary - Windows x64 gcc binary (by Wolf) (both gave me the same results):
    @jy-p I think it will be helpful if decred miners will also include their GPU usage so as we would be able to calculate differences or loses in hashrate because of it.

Reynold, chappjc and jy-p like this.
  3. jy-p

jy-p Sr. Member
    Organizer

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    One likely-notable difference between the 0.0.4 and 0.1.0 releases is that cgminer was compiled natively on Windows for 0.0.4 and cross-compiled from Linux for 0.1.0. @jolan and @jcv will have a look at this for the next release.

Reynold, chappjc and zero like this.
  4. Reynold

Reynold Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    Programmer
    What threw me off was the new intensity levels. My intensity 14 was very low and figured out that max got raised to 25 now.

5. chappjc

chappjc Full Member
    Developer Pool Operator (PoS)

I'm no longer using cgminer for my AMD machine, in favor of sgminer, for the following reasons:
    1. cgminer CPU usage still high. Up to 3 cores on a multi-core system. sgminer has ~0% CPU usage.
    2. cgminer freezes my machine on quit (hit q). I can only quit without a hang if I kill with "kill". Come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever posted this issue on GH. sgminer quits with q just fine.
    3. auto-fan and auto-gpu in cgminer crash my machine, but they work fine in sgminer.
    Arch Linux 64-bit, 2 GPUs: AMD R9 290x, R9 280x.

zero likes this.
  6. Reynold

Reynold Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    Programmer
    #26 Reynold, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    @chappjc, Are you sure you have the right drivers? My Ubuntu machine works great with cgminer.

Here are some of my blog articles about the R9 280x:
    http://www.reynoldtech.com/install-opencl-and-drivers-for-radeon-r9-280x-on-ubuntu/
    http://www.reynoldtech.com/overclocking-the-r9-280x-on-ubuntu/

7. chappjc

chappjc Full Member

#27 chappjc, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Yes. I have tried open source and Catalyst drivers. Plus, sgminer has no such issues. It has to be cgminer. Perhaps it's related to my machine being dual GPU?

EDIT: The machine dual boots with Windows and it's roughly the same there.

Reynold likes this.
  8. chappjc

chappjc Full Member

Reynold likes this.
  9. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    Well I would also prefer sgminer because of it's ~0% CPU usage compared to cgminer if it doesn't cause me that drop in hashrate from 1.20 Gh/s to 1.00 Gh/s (shares also drop of course).

@chappjc Do you have any hashrate drop with sgminer compared to cgminer v0.0.4 in Linux as well? Linux is always better but for now I have to mine with Windows.

sgminer low CPU usage is a pro and that's why I think the Decred team should take a better look at it since the high CPU usage of cgminer doesn't seem to be fixed any time soon.

chappjc likes this.
  10. chappjc

chappjc Full Member

#30 chappjc, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Not that I recall. I actually pushed the AMD R9 280x to 1.45 just by overclocking yesterday. In sgminer, an intensity of 24 is good for this card.

I'm not opposed to Windows. Remote desktop with Chrome Remote Desktop works better in Windows, IMO, because you see the same desktop. On Linux, it gives you a unique desktop with xvfb. Plus, there are driver issues on remote desktop with Linux that are avoided in Windows.

zero and Reynold like this.