Newcomers, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kirigi, Dec 30, 2015.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. decredation

decredation New Member

Feb 23, 2018
    USA
    @TomAltCoin Hello, I'm new to Decred myself, but had a similar question. While trying to figure it out on my own I also determined that speculation is a huge and arbitrary factor in coin uptake in general. However another general sentiment I have seen on various threads is that there is a large portion of more serious coin users who have a very specific issue with PoS.
    The issue is one of the nature, "Proof of stake gives more power over the direction of the currency to the wealthy". Based on the writing style and reasoning, I believe this sentiment to largely be held by younger idealists who, while well meaning, do not intellectually understand the basic principles of capitalism and, I suspect, have never heard of J. Keynes or endeavored to really understand even the basic questions, "what is wealth", or, "what creates value". This class of coin user is fairly large and comprised of young, tech savy, early adopters with disposable income. They are simply turned off by the idea that, "having skin in the game", should give you a say because they see that as an entry point for large institutions (governments?) to "take over" the coin altogether. It is a view that seems to be rooted in ideas like social justice and wealth equality.

I'm not wise enough to offer a silver bullet solution for this, as the thinking behind ideas like minimum wage, wealth equality, and universal basic income are fundamentally at odds with a system where the people with the most stake in the outcome can determine the course of the ecosystem.

Anyways, those are observations I have made reading along the same lines. Does anyone else have other observations or opinions to contribute?

jet, ProctorStrategies and TomAltCoin like this.
  2. TomAltCoin

TomAltCoin New Member

Thank you!
    -- There is a basic misunderstanding among many about wealth. There are those who have wealth and are Satanic, and there are those who are wealthy and Godly. There is no avoiding the misuse of wealth. PoS and PoW both can be corrupted by wealth. Look at the concentration of BTC miners in China. The only universal voting method that brings true freedom of currency is simply not to accept any currency that you (the People) deem corrupted. That would go for fiat, gold, silver, crypto currency, etc. The most difficult to corrupt is metal, but even that has been corrupted by the futures market by allowing the "seller" to pay in FRNs.
    -- The predator class needs a currency it can inflate to steal your wealth by decreasing the value of the currency (think fiat). If it corners a market, it will only cause the value to increase in value as it becomes more scarce, as opposed to decrease in value. For the predator class, that is self defeating. And if they buy up too much, there will simply arise a new currency. People are very ingenious. It could be sea shells!

jet likes this.
  3. scastano

scastano New Member

Jun 8, 2018
    The Netherlands
    Hi all,

I am no DECRED fan from the early times but clearly the DEX idea is exactly what I had in mind for more that a year now.
    I was planning at issuing such proposal but well, I could not have done better than your blog post :)

In other word, I'm all in with your DEX project and willing to contribute as much as possible.
    Maybe an automated trading, portfolio balancing module could be added to the project?

I have just quited my planner/analyst job am currently taking software development education and planning to attend the programming blockchain seminar to catch up with technical knowledge. Needless to say, I am willing to contribute with non technical aspect of the project as well.

I will dive in a bit more into documentation and resources see where I can contribute. On the other hand, do not hesitate to ask, I'm available and highly motivated !!

Cheers

jet likes this.
  4. ProctorStrategies

ProctorStrategies New Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Male
    Little Rock, AR
    Hello, Decred forum! I am not a developer,. I'm not a highly computer literate individual or someone with tech savvy skills sets that apply to this space. I am an entrepreneur looking to chase the next big dream in my life. I have spent my life to this point building race cars, specialized suspension systems, tube chassis, and safety equipment for motorsports vehicles. I am designer and engineer of mechanical machines with deep understanding that the smallest details matter. I am here mainly to learn, however I hope to one day contribute it a meaningful way. I became interested in crypto about two years ago and through the growth of the ICO nightmare I became familiar with Decred. I have placed this network squarely in my sights as the network I want to be a part of and offer myself to in the hopes that I can somehow nurture its growth. I don't have the most conventional skill set to offer but I believe I was graced with a divergent mind which can often think far outside the box.

5. decredlucky

decredlucky New Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Amsterdam
    Hi im decred lucky, im currently based in Europe.