No Used Address

Discussion in 'Addresses' started by Ayush, Apr 8, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    Hello.
    I had created an address long back - DsVEQoGBixe7HQuZpHd8FBkvBkaTEZXgyFG

Then recently I used dcrwallet with
    -d debug command

Now when I use the dcrwallet I got-
    18:06:29 2016-04-08 [INF] WLLT: The last used account was 0. Beginning a rescan for all active addresses in known accounts.
    18:06:30 2016-04-08 [INF] WLLT: Wallet has no used addresses for account 0 external branch
    18:06:32 2016-04-08 [INF] WLLT: Successfully synchronized wallet accounts to account number 0.

before It was -
    13:04:31 2016-04-03 [INF] WLLT: The last used account was 0. Beginning a rescan for all active addresses in known accounts.
    13:04:32 2016-04-03 [INF] WLLT: Wallet has 1 used address for account 0 external branch

And -

--wallet validateaddress DsVEQoGBixe7HQuZpHd8FBkvBkaTEZXgyFG
    {
    "isvalid": true,
    "address": "DsVEQoGBixe7HQuZpHd8FBkvBkaTEZXgyFG"
    }

So How Do I get it to remember its old address?

2. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    If anyone else faced this problem, The solution was to use
    dcrctl -u USERNAME -P PASSWORD --wallet getnewaddress

I got back the same address I had before.

3. zero

zero Full Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Male
    #3 zero, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    I don't think you had a problem, many wallets might already have some hundreds of addresses generated already. It's how dcrwallet works at least for the time being. And I think even a new created wallet will have more than one generated addresses. From what I see:

dcrctl -u "dcrwallet_username" -P "dcrwallet_password" --wallet getnewaddress

doesn't necessarily returns a new generated address, most of the times it returns one of the already generated addresses of your dcrwallet and maybe it can return the same address more than one time.

You can list all the generated addresses of your default account of your wallet with:

dcrctl -u "dcrwallet_username" -P "dcrwallet_password" --wallet getaddressesbyaccount default

default in the above command is the account name you want to get addresses from, but I believe almost everyone have this account, named like that for their spending funds. Basically right now most of us have the default account named "default" by default and those who use stake pool and imported the redeem script also have the imported account named "imported" by default. You can also list all the accounts into your wallet with:

dcrctl -u "dcrwallet_username" -P "dcrwallet_password" --wallet listaccounts

but i think it's quite useless at this time.

More useful is to validate an account with:

dcrctl -u "dcrwallet_username" -P "dcrwallet_password" --wallet validateaddress DecredAddressYouWantToValidate (To check if a decred address is yours, if you get "ismine": true as a return then it is yours, DecredAddressYouWantToValidate is an example value replace it with the decred address you want to validate)

Ayush likes this.
  4. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for all this information
    But I was worried because the wallet didn't remember the previous address.
    I thought maybe it had forgotten that address. So I enquired because I wanted to know what happened to that particular address