Paymetheus Stake Pool Buying?

Discussion in 'Proof-of-stake Mining' started by travanx, Sep 27, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. travanx

travanx New Member

Mar 7, 2016
    Male
    I am trying to buy tickets through paymetheus and was wondering, is there a reason it will show purchased tickets in the mempool and then that goes back to 0 after an hour or so? Is there a trick to being able to purchase tickets when the cost is low?

2. jy-p

jy-p Sr. Member
    Organizer

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    When the ticket price is low, there is a large amount of competition to buy tickets. It is typical for the fees attached to tickets to get very high during these times since tickets get mined based on their fee, meaning tickets with lower fees do not get mined.

I recommend not trying to purchase tickets during the window with the lowest price because the fees you need to attach to the tickets are high enough that it affects your voting reward, on top of it locking your coins until your ticket transactions expire. You are better off trying to purchase tickets during a window with a low but not the lowest price.

Reynold and Nimrod like this.
  3. Nimrod

Nimrod New Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Male
    I second that! The insane fees people pay. 0.9 DCR fee when the reward is only 1.7. at 18.8.That's roughly a yield of 4%. You can get the same or higher yield at a significantly higher ticket price with the default low fee.

4. travanx

travanx New Member

Mar 7, 2016
    Male
    So right now with ticket price at 59, is this worth buying at?

5. Nimrod

Nimrod New Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Male
    I would not buy over 40. Depends on how much you have to stake etc.

6. BoMBeR

BoMBeR New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    A good guideline would be buying near the average price. Which is currently sitting around 30dcr. If it is under the average you are going to need a higher ticketfee on average otherwise your ticket wont get mined. If it is above average you'll get mine with the standard ticket fee.

7. travanx

travanx New Member

Mar 7, 2016
    Male
    #7 travanx, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Is there an explanation anywhere on what split fee (DCR/kB) and ticket fee (DCR/kB) mean in paymetheus? In the above example of 0.9 DCR fee and reward is 1.7, where do I find that info?

Edit: Almost instantly got a ticket at 42. I wish I had more DCR to play around with this to understand what's going on. Anyone want to sell me some for USD? =p

8. N3wb1e

N3wb1e New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Europe

Fee is per kb so 0.9 fee set on wallet is really about 0.3.

Example : https://mainnet.decred.org/tx/911f8710039da264a8609a5948ac764b88ace452701b19018361c0fdc4fc3e68

Calculate 0.296*0.91=(actual fee) 0.27

Check this example and you figure, how it works.

9. travanx

travanx New Member

Mar 7, 2016
    Male
    How in the world would a non tech person understand this stuff? The original CLI barrier of entry is why I became curious and moved my BTC and LTC over here as paymetheus came about, but seriously, this is pretty cryptic. I have only mined BTC, LTC, ETH and DCR to put this in perspective, and have followed BTC when it first came about.

Bought another ticket at least.

10. N3wb1e

N3wb1e New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Europe
    Tickets with higher fees are mined before the tickets with lower fees. So when ticket-price is low and everyone is buying, you need to set ticketfee higher than average or probably you don't get any ticket. When ticket price is higher, there is no rush in mempool and you get your tickets usually with low default fee.

11. Nimrod

Nimrod New Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Male
    Good point. You wouldn't. So yeah, this sucks. I completely forgot about the fee divided by 3 or so...

12. Nimrod

Nimrod New Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Male
  13. Noah

Noah Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Feb 1, 2016
    Male
    Amsterdam
    Glad to hear you are buying tickets! When I was new to the project I decided to write a blog (see signature) to help other users start their Decred journey. Here on the forum I learnt the most. Other excellent sources are the official Decred documentation and the Decred wiki. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

All the best!

14. Shadowlance

Shadowlance Full Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    I agree. I'm about to get started on the next iteration of documentation so I'll make sure to include how fees are calculated.

jy-p likes this.
  15. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    So when we see max fees of .927 on somewhere like dcrstats fee explorer or in CLI are these the actual fee paid or just what the wallet was set to and the actual fee paid is more like .3? I wish dcrstats showed the txfee as well or is everyone just matching them? Ticketfee of .9 and txfee of .9 if actual would not be feasible so I assume that is just the wallet setting and it gets divided per kb with a ticket size being around .3kb?
    I just noticed there is a txfeeinfo command now. I was only aware of the ticketfeeinfo. I will have to watch this more closely when purchasing.

chappjc likes this.
  16. chappjc

chappjc Full Member
    Developer Pool Operator (PoS)

Yeah, i think it's showing the fee rate (DCR / kB).