Raising Digital Currency Awareness In Us At Mass Scale

Discussion in 'Project Ideas' started by Costin, Jan 19, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
?

Do you like the idea?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2016.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Costin

Costin Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    JavaScript
    Liverpool
    #1 Costin, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    Digital currency has been on the Web and social media for years, but hasn't generated nearly enough mainstream support at awareness of its existence.The eyes of the world are always watching the US. Many emulate their actions. Targeting the market base of ordinary citizens requires a different approach. There are 230 million "licensed" drivers in the states, with 16 million+ unlicensed drivers. If we can direct these people to a site where they get exposed to the world of digital currency, the benefits could be enormous. Now, how we do that? Here comes the idea :
    Endroadbullying Inc. is a non-profit organization focused on creating safer roadways for all Americans to enjoy through education and a reward based system* to encourage better driving habits.
    This will have a very good impact as Endroadbullying Inc. mission is to reduce aggressive driving behaviors, road rage incidents, accidents, and unsafe driving conditions and habits. Addressing these factors will, inevitably make our roads much safer, both for us and for our children.

How it works

Our Program is very new at this stage, and relies strictly on donations to fund our effort. Over time, the program will make many more people aware of the negative driving habits they may be exhibiting, thus empowering them to make an informed decision about how they drive. Many people think that they are safe drivers simply because they have never viewed it from an outside perspective.The core principle of endroadbullying.org is EDUCATION and raising the awareness of peoples' actions to themselves.We are focused on making drivers more aware of their actions, and of other motorists they share the road with. People are inherently good, and will CORRECT their poor driving habits once they become AWARE of them.Over time, we can eliminate them entirely, if we all work together.

If we can accomplish the goal of creating actual American "users" of digital currency, with attention from around the globe, others WILL follow the trend.

Please share any question and thoughts about this.

Michael likes this.
  2. Renato Abreu

Renato Abreu Jr. Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 3, 2016
    Male
    Programador
    Brazil
    I do not think that this is the time to digital currency.

3. Costin

Costin Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    JavaScript
    Liverpool
    Excuse me? Explain.

4. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    I'd like to point out that you have multiple votes enabled on your poll. Might want to change that if you can.

As for the idea itself, I think I like the idea of an educational system to improve driving habits. I also like the attempt to double it up as a way to promote cryptocurrencies. I'm not sure it has legs in the stated form, but I admire your initiative.

5. Michael Crego

Michael Crego Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Male
    Florida
    Really? Do you know what decred is?

6. Michael Crego

Michael Crego Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Male
    Florida
    This is actually an organization that was started last year, but do to medical reasons was delayed. It will be launching soon. My involvement here came long after the organization was formed. As far as incorporating the cryptocurrency, this was recently incorporated into the program as the "rewards". Earlier "rewards" were going to be different automotive related items. This may still be an alternative "reward" offering, so as not to alienate any who would not understand the value of digital currency. Another previous option was cash, but until I see what response the test market receives, that's too bold of a claim to make. I was in discussions with Autozone (just two locally owned stores, not corporate), trying to reach an agreement on terms for supplying the rewards. Then, unfortunately, I had surgery and now am awaiting his return. Once the site is up, I would like your opinion, once you familiarize yourself with the project. I only decided to incorporate Decred and Bitcoin to assist with the project here. With a "bonus point reward" for daily login, traffic to the site should grow rather quickly and remain consistent thereafter, and the "everyday Americans" will see The Decred logo (granted this is not a problem with the team), and Bitcoin (for recognizability), and be exposed to the world of digital currency.

Endroadbullying is a registered non-profit in the state of Florida, and meets all the necessary requirements for 501c-3 status, although we haven't arrived at that stage yet. We will be moving forward with the project whether or not Decred wishes for us to incorporate the logo on the site, but I truly believe it can be highly beneficial. If the ultimate goal is to have society use the currency, they must first know of its existence. And this could potentially inundate mainstream America with the technology. Get it in there hands, and give them a place to spend it.
    Anyway, thanks again for the input, and we'll let you know once it is up. I value as many different perspectives as I can get, as it can only potentially improve it.

7. Costin

Costin Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    JavaScript
    Liverpool
    Hey mate, you still didn't give no answer so let me tell YOU something. Do not talk about things you can't understand, DO NOT SPAM, PLEASE at least be a little decent, I don't have anything with you and I respect everyone here, everyone have a place but let's not talk when we really don't need to.

All I`m asking is for you to mind your own damn business, thanks.

8. Costin

Costin Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    JavaScript
    Liverpool
    I guess it's multiple as in you can vote as much as you want :D, thanks though! Also thanks for the feedback.

9. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    The votes are checkboxes instead of radio buttons, there's nothing stopping someone from voting both "yes" and "no."

10. Costin

Costin Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    JavaScript
    Liverpool
    Oh well, it's nothing :) I tried to edit it yesterday on phone and there's no option for it but really thanks xD.

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  11. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    I like the idea of your organization. Regarding the cryptocurrency rewards, i would say bitcoin is quite good choice for rewards as you can also point them to services where they can spend them for everyday items, still they have to go out of there way to spend it like joining new services or creating new accounts althoug sign up using social media takes care of that in many cases.

Although i would not suggest rewards in decred right now unless they can spend it without jumping through loops. This would be a negative experience & it will reduce value of decred in eyes of those people. Once we get decred added as a payment/spending options on services like gyft, purse, airbitz etc then it will be okay to reward in decred. Including decred on website is a good opportunity that can be used to test voting functionality in decred PoS.

Also, i would like to suggest you tie up or do an event together with well known charities in bitcoin space like BitGive & attend bitcoin conferences. That will provide you more exposure but i guess you already know that.

And finally please i request you that there is no need to be so aggressive. You asked for thoughts/opinions, you got some, if you dont like them either ignore them or better, explain what you didn't like in a manner that conversation goes on rather than shutting out opposing views. That way you will have more supporters and less alienated people. In fact this might help you see where you need to improve or what you are missing out on.

I hope this helps.

12. Costin

Costin Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    JavaScript
    Liverpool
    It does help indeed and thanks for the feedback, is really appreciated. I meant to bring no offense to the negative thought but bear in mind, that guy is a person who doesn't have a clue what he's talking. He is just here for the aidrop money so he can spend the Decreds when it will be released, I respect every point of view but if you talk, you should also bring facts with you, he didn't and even more, he spams everywhere arround the forum. No one did anything about it and I tried NOT to be aggresive, nothing changed.
    Also, all respect for user @Blizzy who tried to stop him also. But in vain.

13. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Fair enough, what i know is english is not his first language so he has some difficulty explaining himself, you can see my profile posts where he messaged me about joining a decred promotion website so he does want to help as far as i can see but is not able to get his message through. Also if he is a troll/not helpful IMO ignoring such people is better rather than wasting time arguing with them as that is what they want. Also, i am not defending him as i don't know how legit he is but just saying that sometimes we might alienate people by aggressive behavior.

Costin likes this.
  14. Costin

Costin Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    JavaScript
    Liverpool
    Aye buddy, thanks, you'd make the hell of a shrink, keep it up xD. I did help him too as I`m really open and positive person (I have messages from him on my profile also) and I've seen the fact that he is interested but I believe here it's about respect also. Respect for you, me, the devs, everyone and that respect is spit on when a guy like him starts spamming like that. I've been a Moderator quite a while over years and back in my days he would get a nice permament ban.

15. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    lol i should become counselor for decred forum. @_ingsoc are you hearing, i want a counselor tag :p Ok sorry for a little off-topic, keep doing your good work.

adam2312 likes this.
  16. Costin

Costin Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    JavaScript
    Liverpool
    Hehehe, no worries! And thanks, hey you might just come up with a great idea, maybe that rank would actually work.

17. adam2312

adam2312 Jr. Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Male
    For what it's worth, upon viewing your post I went to endroadbullying.org. I was interested. Concern is, would my vehicle have to be GPS-tracked to enroll. If so, I'm repelled. It's not clear what the requirement would be to earn (e.g. watch a video, etc.). The site was almost blank. In general, I think most people would jump at the chance for [nearly] free Decred(s). Give it a go; see what happens. Just do it.

18. Michael Crego

Michael Crego Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Male
    Florida
    The site is not up yet, only secured domain, as things are pretty busy atm. As far as gps tracking goes, that may be the best option from a safety perspective. We have considered other options, such as having the monitors document the license plate number, location, time, and action deserving of reward. The problem with this is taking the monitors focus off driving safely in order to record the necessary information. We want safer roads, not distracted drivers of our doing. The description which was posted is the most basic of outlines of the project. Earning points requires nothing more than being courteous to other drivers on the road. Points are deducted for "roadbullying" behaviors (blocking traffic, cutting people off, etc.) This will be outlined on the site when it is completed.

To address sambiohazards suggestion in regards to using decred as rewards. We are addressing that issue of being able to spend the Decred, although the specifics are not yet determined on the best manner to address it. The frontrunner currently is having a "store" right on the site, and making arrangements with Amazon for shipping items direct as the organization makes purchases on behalf of the clientele. There will also be other options for use of the Decred/Bitcoin. It's a work in progress, and we want everything right before going public. Originally the rewards were going to be merchandise from a "store", so in essence that still holds true, only with an additional step in using the Decred and/or Bitcoin. This will expose a whole new market base to digital currency, and using it.

There is really way too much to explain on here, but rest assured we have a plan, and the resources to enact it.

If you have any suggestions about monitors recording the necessary information while minimizing inattention to their own driving, please let us know. The location/time/Rewardable action are all necessary in preventing duplicate points being awarded to a driver. If, for instance, two monitors observed the same behavior on the same road at the same time, and submitted the points, then the driver could receive double the points for a single event. To weed out duplicates manually would be extremely time consuming, and costly. GPS kind of solves the aforementioned problems. The monitor would be able to stay attentive to driving, multiple entries could be eliminated by proximity, and time spent sorting duplicates would be eliminated entirely.

Thanks for the feedback, and please, if you have a better solution than GPS, let us know. We do not wish to alienate anybody from the program. Obviously, we will not be able to appease everybody, but we will do the best we can to get as many involved as possible.

adam2312 likes this.