Governance Requests For Proposals

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by jy-p, Feb 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. jy-p

jy-p Sr. Member
    Organizer

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Hello Everyone,

We are beginning the process of issuing Requests for Proposals ("RFPs") today, Monday, February 15th, 2016. To quote the Constitution:
    • DHG shall make public requests for proposals ("RFPs") for projects that are to be completed by parties on a contractual basis. RFPs shall include a scope and an explanation of how the work shall benefit the project. Parties that submit proposals shall be required to include: (1) a detailed description of the work to be performed, (2) a series of milestones that can be verified as work is completed, and (3) a quote for the work, itemized by milestone, in U.S. Dollars ("USD").
    • All proposals, both submitted and accepted, shall be made public one week after a proposal has been selected. Once the selection occurs, the associated RFP shall be removed. Contracted parties shall be paid exclusively in decred ("DCR") at the current effective DCR/USD rate at the time of payment, unless specifically noted otherwise.
    The process for these RFPs is roughly:
    • DHG posts a new RFP on the Decred GitHub repository. This content will be syndicated on the forum by the developer(s) who are the most informed about that particular RFP.
    • Interested parties can review these RFPs and submit a proposal to rfp2016 <at> decred.org. A proposal will include a detailed description of the work, a series of milestones and a quote, itemized by milestone. Please keep in mind that all submitted proposals will be made public after a proposal is selected for the sake of transparency.
    • As the work is completed and milestones demonstrated, contractors shall be paid in decred for each milestone.
    Some things to keep in mind:
    • We are open to having either individuals or corporate entities submit proposals. Some RFPs may have a scope that requires multiple people working together, either as individuals or as a corporate entity.
    • Development work will always be paid for in arrears and correspond with the completion of tangible deliverables.
    • Proposals are selected based on a number of criteria that includes price. The lowest price is not guaranteed to get a proposal accepted. We aim to balance quality, timeliness, complexity and price.
    That said, I'm excited for this phase of the project to begin.

If you're interested in doing development work for Decred, please keep an eye on the RFP GitHub repository and the new RFP subforum. Initially, it is expected that we will be looking for developers with the following skillsets:
    • Golang
    • Node.js
    • C# on Windows
    • Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and XAML
    • Swift
    • QT
    As time passes, we may be in need of different skillsets. Keep an eye on the RFPs on GitHub to find out.

As part of making an active effort to include developers besides those at Company 0, I am announcing that Company 0 will perform work for Decred for 3 months from the launch date, February 8th, without receiving any pay from Decred Holdings Group LLC. It is our hope that doing unpaid work for several months will make clear how serious we are about including other developers in Decred.

Sincerely,
    Decred Project

Rune S, sambiohazard, Estb and 11 others like this.
  2. highlonesome

highlonesome Member
    Designer

Jan 11, 2016
    The more I'm here the more I'm impressed with this project as a whole. This announcement doesn't really apply to me, but I'm glad I'm getting to contribute in my own little way. Telling you, the professionalism is nice, the enthusiasm/idealism is contagious, and the community is great so far.

3. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Posting this to some slacks. @jy-p can you please add the link to github in your post. Thanks.

4. jy-p

jy-p Sr. Member
    Organizer

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Updated, thanks.

sambiohazard likes this.