In Progress Rfp-6: Setup And Operate 10 Stake Pools

Discussion in 'Requests for Proposals' started by dhill, Mar 23, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Bluejuice

Bluejuice New Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Male
    South Africa
    Hi zamazama, perhaps we should contact each other. I am in South Africa as well and we can a fairly large hosting facility. Would you be interested in a partnership?

2. zamazama

zamazama New Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Male
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Yeah I am interested. Drop me a pm and let's chat.

3. Bluejuice

Bluejuice New Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Male
    South Africa
    Pop me a private mail Bluejuice1001@gmail.com, I'll then share my personal details :)

4. BoMBeR

BoMBeR New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Is the source code for this going to be listed once their is 10 PoS Pools? Just curious as I might want to mess around with it to have a pool for my friends and myself.

5. queeny

queeny New Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Male
    usa
    Newbie..would like to join pool--having trouble finding active pool and how to join

6. Myagui

Myagui Jr. Member
    Pool Operator (PoS)

Jan 5, 2016
    Male
    @queeny: Any of the stake pools will provide you with instructions right after you sign up.
    You are most welcome to join the one I co-host: http://stakepool.eu/

Should you run into any trouble setting up for pool voting or getting tickets, perhaps it would be easier if you'd join slack or irc, there's usually always someone around that can help.
    Good luck!

7. queeny

queeny New Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Male
    usa
    Thanks for reply--

i go to the link you gave me which is a forum page, with a link

http://stakepool.eu/

which has a link

https://github.com/decred/dcrstakepool (with not much useful on it)

or this link

https://goo.gl/bwcXqb

which takes me back to the forum page.

Sorry, I'm not able to do IRC because I have a disability which makes it hard to type/chat in real time..

I would like to get in on this and let my $1400 investment ride for the long run--if I can just figure out how to get to the next step. I also was considering investing $15,000 more.

Thanks for reaching out--if there is nothing further you can do to assist, I understand--I'll wait a few days to see if anyone else steps up before selling my investment.
    Cheers.
    Good luck with the project.

8. queeny

queeny New Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Male
    usa
    I am willing to pay a small bounty in DECRED to someone who might be able to take a few minutes to perhaps teamview connect to my computer and set this up for me?

9. Myagui

Myagui Jr. Member
    Pool Operator (PoS)

Jan 5, 2016
    Male
    @queeny : That is a rather dangerous situation that you'll put yourself in there. I strongly advise that you just take the time to go through the pool instructions (there's also some information on the wiki/docs I think), so that you'd be able to do it on your own, without having to allow anyone access to your computer. There's certainly some trustworthy folks out there, but there are also a lot of shady ones. Please be careful.

I would volunteer to help you out, for no bounty at all, but can't right now as I'm traveling and time is limited. If you are willing to way until Monday or so next week, then I'll be around and can help you out. Just send me a PM if you still need help by then.

10. queeny

queeny New Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Male
    usa
    thanks for the advise and offer of time!--that sounds fine to wait until next week. In the mean time I think I just got stuck in a loop going nowhere with where the initial link you gave me led to--it didn't seem to lead anywhere--perhaps if you have a moment you could send me a more specific link to join your pool and learn about things?

Bon Voyages:)

11. chappjc

chappjc Full Member
    Developer Pool Operator (PoS)

The pools have the same setup process, so the instructions really pertain to setting up dcrwallet to purchase the tickets correctly. I would advise to first verify that you are able to get your wallet working, and then try to follow the instructions provided by the /address page of the stake pool of your choice. The pool only needs your "public key address", which can be obtained with just 2 commands. For example:

------------------------------------

To generate a public key address, create a new wallet address with 'getnewaddress'. Then, call 'validateaddress <yourAddress>' and retrieve the address listed in the 'pubkeyaddr' field of the response. It is prefixed Tk... for testnet or Dk... for mainnet.

The following is an example for mainnet:

Code:
    $ dcrctl --wallet getnewaddress
    DsExampleAddr1For2Demo3PurposesOnly
    $ dcrctl --wallet validateaddress DsExampleAddr1For2Demo3PurposesOnly
    {
    "isvalid": true,
    "address": "DsExampleAddr1For2Demo3PurposesOnly",
    "ismine": true,
    "pubkeyaddr": "DkExample0Addr1For2Demo4Purposes5Only6Do7Not8Use9Pls0",
    "pubkey": "022801337beefc0ffee1dab8d4ffa898a782466c9a1fc00ca8863de5438dc07dcc",
    "iscompressed": true,
    "account": "default"
    }
    Copy and paste the 'pubkeyaddr' into the form below. Once your P2SH address has been generated, instructions will be given on how to purchase tickets that the pool can use to vote.

-----------------------------------------

Then it is important to purchase tickets with a very specify syntax, which will be given to you exactly on the tickets page after you have successfully sent your pub key to the pool. The main settings it will give you to set are:

• enablestakemining
    • pooladdress
    • poolfees
    • ticketaddress

I recommend to put them in your wallet config file.

12. queeny

queeny New Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Male
    usa
    Thanks for your reply--having trouble understanding then where to get dcrwallet (at wallet.decred.org) to do all this--perhaps this is the wrong place to get a wallet? At wallet.dcr.org there is no place I can find to start the process you describle.

13. chappjc

chappjc Full Member
    Developer Pool Operator (PoS)

The site wallet.decred.org is for the web wallet, which does not support stake mining I think. You will need to setup dcrd and dcrwallet, which is a bit of a learning process unfortunately.

The official decred software (dcrd and dcrwallet) can be found here: https://github.com/decred/decred-binaries/blob/master/release-notes.md

There are guides on the forum (example) that can help with the setup. There are also some instructions on the wiki.

14. dinc

dinc New Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Male
    Ukraine
    Can i take this job( contract)?

15. ay-p

ay-p Full Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    No, this RFP has been closed and we have recently open sourced the stakepool code, so feel free to use it as you like

16. Geostone

Geostone New Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Tacoma,WA
    Please change the status on the post then as it says in progress. Anyway, I am starting a new stake pool and hope to have an announcement soon. I will be looking at the possibility of adding a mining pool to it as well if there would be interest.

17. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    I agree the in progress tag should be removed.

18. Dcrlover

Dcrlover New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Male
    USA
    hi dhill, is the payment structure still valid?

19. ay-p

ay-p Full Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    No there are no more active RFPs. There is no additional payment for running a stakepool.

20. Dcrlover

Dcrlover New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Male
    USA
    so, on launching new pool how to get started voting on mainnet before being audited?