Running A Backup Staking Server

Discussion in 'Solo Mining' started by jyap, Feb 28, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. jyap

jyap New Member

Feb 18, 2016
    So elsewhere was written by @davecgh :

As has been posted elsewhere on the forum, running multiple wallets with the same seed will absolutely lead to this situation where the wallets will not see the same balance. This is why you should not be running multiple wallets with the same seed.
    What's the best way to run a backup staking server? I've just been running a wallet with the same seed on 2 servers.

2. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    You can have multiple voting-only wallets because they are not creating new addresses. The problem comes in when you have two wallet creating transactions that involve new addresses because they don't know what the other one is doing.

If you're doing the hot/cold setup as the Solo Stake Mining wiki entry calls out, you can create multiple voting-only hot wallets without any issues so long as they both are aware of the address you give voting rights to.

3. jyap

jyap New Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Ah I see. Looks like I need to modify my set up a bit. Cheers

4. Beoga

Beoga New Member

Mar 2, 2016
    Do I need to hold cold wallet opened 24/7 for POS in hot/cold split method?

5. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Feb 21, 2016
    In the example given, you need the cold wallet to be unlocked and online to *buy* tickets, but it can be offline at all other times. The hot wallet(s) must be online 24/7, and are given voting rights by the cold wallet when you buy the ticket.

6. Beoga

Beoga New Member

Mar 2, 2016
    Is it possible to check that HOT wallet has got right to vote?

7. Adriano

Adriano New Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Male
    Hello Dave,

Can I create 2 wallets with the same seed in different computers leaving one enablestake mining and buying tickets and the other one only enablestakemining?
    I believe doing this way don't create problems between both.
    Want to have redundancy while voting.

Regards

8. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    Yes. Set balancetomaintain in your dcrwallet configuration file to some astronomically high value. It basically says, "don't buy any tickets until I have this much Decred". Or you can set the ticket max price to a low value, like 1 DCR. You know the ticket price will never go that low (I think the lowest possible value is 2DCR), so that's another way of controlling the automatic purchasing of tickets while still participating in PoS.

Adriano likes this.
  9. Adriano

Adriano New Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Male
    Thank you again for your fast reply.

Would this a precaution to avoid the wallet wouldn't buy any tickets and make confusion with the other one?
    I also saw your reply in the other post.
    Still trying to sort it out as I'm really basic in programming but trying to learn it. Lol

Just had my wallet stuck today and couldn't sync the DB so I'm downloading the whole blockchain again.
    That will take time.

Regards

10. David

David Sr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    USA
    The most important thing is to make sure you keep your main node (where you purchase your tickets) separate from your backup/redundant node. It is my understanding that you can have as many wallets online as you want, as long as you stick with one for all your transactions. I have been running redundant wallets on separate computers for awhile now and nothing has been out of sync.

If you have a main node already and want to add another computer just as a backup PoS voting rig, create your wallet configuration file with enablestakemining=true, balancetomaintain=1000000000, and ticketmaxprice=1. Then create your wallet from seed. The first time you bring your wallet online after creating, add this flag: --addridxscanlen=40000
    Example:
    dcrwallet --addridxscanlen=40000.
    This helps to ensure the wallet scans more than enough possible addresses that it might have used in the past, so it can recognize transactions that belong to it when scanning through the blocks in the chain.