So I Played With Binaries Last Night... What Am I Doing?

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Jamie Keefer, Jan 28, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Jamie Keefer

Jamie Keefer New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    #1 Jamie Keefer, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    Obviously this has been a little different than previous mining expeditions. This is the first time I have been exclusively on the command line setting up all the different elements.

Last night I was using windows binaries, I will try the linux installs next, but I was having trouble with dcrd.exe unable to set the /miningaddr parameter.

I did have success with cgminer and the wallet --create seemed to work, although the results were just the files in the user/name/app data folder...frankly I need to wrap my mind around what all these pieces mean to each other.

Can someone elaborate on what we are supposed to be doing with this release? Should we be testing? You want us to just set up nodes? The mining on testnet is temporary I assume? Perhaps I am jumping the gun, but would like get a clue as to what we as testers can and should be doing.

edit: I am following instructions here: https://wiki.decred.org/GPU_Mining but not exactly clear on a few items. the widows section has linux commands and parameter flags, for example, and the TLS instructions aren't exactly clear - do we have to disable or is the --notls good enough? Ideally a Mining Decred for idiots would be handy :).

Thank you to all the Decred Team for the tremendous effort.

2. Jamie Keefer

Jamie Keefer New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
  3. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
  4. Jamie Keefer

Jamie Keefer New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    That is a great guide! Once I realized what did what, it made more sense. Thanks for taking the time to help people understand even better.

sambiohazard likes this.