Stake Pool Stop Working But Balance Is Still Inaccessable

Discussion in 'Proof-of-stake Mining' started by josser, Jan 23, 2017.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    They're not locked by the pool, your funds are locked by you having purchased a ticket and it being mined. It is locked by the block chain.

2. josser

josser New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    @jolan Now I'm confused.
    Maybe this is just question of terminology.

Let me explain how It looks from my side and maybe I will get a chance to understand where I'm wrong.
    So, when I want PoS mining I have two options:
    1) Buy tickets myself
    2) Allow stake pool to buy tickets for me.

I choose 2) option.
    I registered at some website (decredstakepool). I do some CLI magic and voila - Stake Pool can do all the work for me. By 'all the work' I understand 'Buy tickets', and 'vote them as soon as it needed'.
    I'm not sure what technically mean by 'Buy ticket' but as a result - dcr in my wallet after that operation is 'locked' so I can't use them.
    Let's say stake pool bought some tickets and locked 100 DCR on wallet. I understand that funds is sill on my wallet but I can't use them because, obviously, they are locked. If ticket is voted and I get some revard, it will moved to my wallet. The funds spent on buying tickets is unlocked now, so stake pool can use them again, yes?
    If yes, the process is infinite, buy tickets (lock) - vote (unlock) - buy tickets (lock) - vote (unlock) and I can control this process only from web UI.
    If so, I want some way to stop this even if web ui is stopped working.

3. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    The stake pool does not buy tickets because it does not have control over your funds. It can only vote tickets that you purchase.

The ticket purchasing methods/process can be found on our documentation website:

https://docs.decred.org/mining/proof-of-stake/

4. josser

josser New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    Hm, I clearly remember when I registered at stake pool I have 280 dcrs, but then after a few days they are disappear from wallet and I thought this is because stake pool locked them to buy tickets.
    And I must say, I don't know how to buy tickets. When I sign up to stake pool I thought that it will do this for me.
    Can I somehow check, do I have 'unvoted' tickets? And how much time needed to unlock funds from the point of time when ticket is missed or voted?

5. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    It sounds like you are confusing stake pools with @Dyrk's "Evolution" service, https://evolution.dcrstats.com/en.

6. josser

josser New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    @jolan no, this thing was not even exist when I experimenting with mining.

7. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    OK, then you probably configured automatic purchasing of tickets. In which case, the advice I gave you earlier in the thread:

https://forum.decred.org/threads/st...alance-is-still-inaccessable.5003/#post-23852

is still applicable. Also, you should rread through the documentation link that I sent you earlier:

https://docs.decred.org/mining/proof-of-stake/

That should help you understand how you have configured your ticket purchasing and how to change it.

8. karamble

karamble Member
    Developer

Feb 19, 2016
    #28 karamble, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    @josser please try those commands to get your balance:
    Code:
    dcrctl --wallet getbalance '*' 0 spendable
    dcrctl --wallet getbalance '*' 0 all
    dcrctl --wallet getbalance '*' 0 locked
    dcrctl --wallet listaccounts

If you use one of the regular stakepools you just give voting rights to the stakepool. The pool CAN NOT spend your funds! This means the pool is NOT able to buy tickets for you.

The 'decred evolution' thing is a complete other thing, not a stakepool in first hand and by intention. You give your PRIVATE KEY to this portal and thereby they have full control over your funds and can purchase tickets for you.

You never should do something like this but some people are to lazy to handle their own money and give all power over it to a 3rd party...

...you should get married or stay with fiat money if you like situations to be like this. In my opinion crypto is the wrong place for this behaviour.

---
    If you still have active tickets the funds are locked. These funds will become available ~28days, that is the interval for a ticket to be called for a vote. When you have used a stakepool the pool can not steal your funds, this is impossible.

jy-p likes this.
  9. josser

josser New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    @karamble, @jolan Thank you guys!
    I think now I'm understand how it's going.

I checked my locked / spendable / all balance and it looks like there is no locked funds on it.
    Than deleted all configs, and re-imported my wallet with seed.

And sad news - its still 35 dcr on the wallet. I'll try to figure out how this is possible but I think it's probably no related to stake pools.

10. jy-p

jy-p Sr. Member
    Organizer

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    A nit: the average time it takes for a ticket to be called to vote is roughly 28 days, but it could take up to roughly 4.7 months. After a ticket has been eligible to be chosen to vote for 40960 blocks, it expires. Approximately 99.5% of tickets will be called to vote, meaning only 1 in 200 tickets expires.

11. Shadowlance

Shadowlance Full Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    I'll second this. I've had 13 tickets expire out of 2578 that voted since PoS started giving an expired rate of 0.504%.

jy-p likes this.
  12. jy-p

jy-p Sr. Member
    Organizer

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Hah, proof that I can still solve math problems :)

13. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    As a related aside, when speaking of ticket price fluctuations, this is another reason why maintaining the ticket pool size near the target value is important. The current expected selection rate is directly influenced by its size relative to the number of tickets selected per block. Substantially increasing or decreasing the pool size would change the average payout time and expected expiration rate.

karamble likes this.