Stakepool.dcrstats.com

Discussion in 'PoS Pools' started by Dyrk, May 25, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    Correct. There will be 2 different options for new Decred investors:
    1. The old well-known stakepool (as it is now), where you just delegating your voting powers, which is 100% safe and you can start using it just now.
    2. Auto-mode for those, who don't want to waste their time learning decred software. They will be able to make a deposit as they do it in Poloniex in any of these 3 currencies: DCR, BTC, ETH and we will manage the rest. Easy PoS-mining for busy people. But as you understand, this option is only 99% safe. Right now I am working only on security improvements, I did not even started prototype of the "Fund" software.

2. Halestorm

Halestorm Jr. Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Male
    Data Center
    Texas, USA
    I know that. I just like having the option to use 2FA for things that are online, regardless of the personal risk. :) Seeing someone implement it because he can makes me happy.

Agreed, he is taking this a step further, and that personally I'm not interested in because I would want to keep that control for myself. I can see how others would enjoy the convenience, however. And personally, I think Dyrk has established a high enough level of reputation in the Decred community that I find it to be highly unlikely that he'd screw anyone out of their DCR through any fault of his own. Whether or not the community as a whole agrees remains to be seen.

3. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    I couldn't agree with what @karamble said more. While everyone appreciates the work @Dyrk has been doing on the various projects such as dcrstats and the mobile app, etc, I personally am wholeheartedly against the idea of users sending their coins to some variant of a stake pool that gives the pool full control over the user's funds (which would be required in order to automatically handle new ticket purchases) no matter who is in control of it.

Frankly, I feel like that path is monumental recipe for disaster and it goes completely against the entire point behind stake pools. They were very carefully designed to ensure there is no risk to the coin owners. If a stake pool has full control of a user's coins, there is zero protection for the user. Remember the whole Mt. Gox disaster from Bitcoin? That is exactly what giving a 3rd party full control over user's coins can lead to (and worse as described below). What happens if such a stake pool that now has full control of your funds goes offline through no fault of their own? What happens if the stake pool gets hacked and loses funds (this can and does happen -- just look at the several exchanges it's happened to in Bitcoin)? You would likely lose ALL of your funds with zero recourse. There are no charge backs or FDIC in cryptocurrencies! With the current stake pool model, that simply can't happen.

Aside from the issues of fraud and hacker exposure mentioned above, it gets even worse because it's also extremely dangerous in that it gives too much control of the network to centralized entities. That could potentially be very bad for the future to the coin.

Something to keep in mind is that early on, a lot of people were concerned by how much control of the stake system the original developers had due to the airdrop process even though it ensured from day 1 that they controlled less than 50% of the supply as half of the coins were distributed to the community for free, and they are even still throttling their staking to ensure they don't have more stake than the proportion of the supply.

Users should be every bit as concerned by centralized stake pools with full control over their coins for the same reason. It gives disproportionate control to centralized entities and as such it is reasonable to consider establishing and participating in systems that give full control of large quantities of coins to centralized entities as effectively an attack on the network.

I realize that the above might not be immediately obvious yet due to the fact the additional infrastructure to actually make use of the underlying PoS voting infrastructure for making decisions is not yet available, but it most certainly will be as that is one of the top priorities of the project (per the published road map) and a large part of what the major database and ticket database changes in the upcoming release work toward enabling.

4. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    #64 Dyrk, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    @davecgh I do agree with you that users should be informed about all the risks you mentioned above.
    Frankly, the best way to protect your cryptocurrency from being stolen is to avoid having it. If your computer with local wallet connected to the internet your funds can be stolen, if you use cheapest VPS for PoS mining your funds can be stolen, if you use any exchange (eg Bittrex has 675K DCR in the wallet) your funds can be stolen, if you use any third-party service ..., it there is a bug in master branch ... etc.

Of course, the target audience of such service is not those veterans of Decred, but new investors, who have plenty of Bitcoins to invest somewhere. And most of them will never install decred software. Many people from Bitcointalk asked me for easy-to-use 1-button software, because, usually, they are using only light mobile wallets and exchanges.
    If an investor has 10+ altcoins in his long-term portfolio, it's pretty much obvious that he will not try to synchronize all those blockchains, check ticket prices every day, and do all the stuff.

So, I suppose that you and other devs from IRC are mostly afraid of the word "stakepool", that was my mistake and I will keep publishing all further updates in another thread.

To be clear - this fund has nothing common with existing stakepool infrastructure. It will be the different project on the different servers and domain. Maybe I will even add the ability to choose which stakepool user wants to use. However, it is not a stakepool. It is an investment fund which is offering you (through the PoS) up to 6% of monthly interest. C'mon, Dave, join the fund ;)

5. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    October 2016:

- 5242 live tickets
    - 20,448 voted tickets (all time)
    - 35,007 DCR total subsidy ( ~ $26,060 )
    - 177 active users (511 total)

Our users invested in Dcrstats Stakepool tickets already 134,789.16 DCR.

6. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    By the way, we are successfully operating the stakepool already 5 months, more than 42,000 blocks so far.
    And now almost every day there are some expired tickets (wallet still count them as "missed"). This week we will split them to "Missed" and "Expired", so the missed number will be reduced ;)

7. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    Updated Stake Pool software to the latest version. That wasn't easy to merge :)
    Seems that dcrwallet 0.6.0 still doesn't have status "expired" in the tickets list, so, for now, you will still see 0 Expired (but for many of us it is not true anymore).
    Right now all your expired tickets are included in the Missed number. I hope that with the next dcrwallet release this will be fixed.

The total number of Expired tickets in the pool is 29 starting from the 25th May 2016.

PS: that was a huge upgrade, please let me know if something went wrong with your stake pool account.

8. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    Another big update of the Stake Pool:

1. "Tickets" page is now fully asynchronous and now it should work perfectly also for our whales with ten million tickets. Please let me know if something is still wrong.

2. "Change Vote Bits" feature is enabled and it's working now.

[​IMG]

Our stakepool is ready for the hard fork voting and the new desktop wallet functionality ;) More awesome things are coming very soon.

negeroy likes this.
  9. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    November 2016:

- 5282 live tickets
    - 25,226 voted tickets (all time)
    - 42,893.55 DCR total subsidy
    - 308 active users (677 total)

Our users invested in Dcrstats Stakepool tickets already 147,543.56 DCR.

10. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    December 2016:

- 6085 live tickets
    - 31,390 voted tickets (all time)
    - 52,911 DCR total subsidy
    - 359 active users (754 total)

Our users invested in Dcrstats Stakepool tickets already 197,067.14 DCR.

11. alibaba_yin

alibaba_yin New Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    China
  12. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
  13. alibaba_yin

alibaba_yin New Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    China
    @Dyrk It's OK now, thank you.

14. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    January 2017

- 7591 live tickets
    - 38,043 voted tickets (all time)
    - 63,573 DCR total subsidy
    - 427 active users (875 total)

Our users invested in Dcrstats Stakepool tickets already 404,443.53 DCR. ( it's doubled since December 2016 ;) )

Thanks everyone for the support! More cool features and updates are coming soon. Stakepool, Dashboard, Evolution - everything will be updated.

Ah, and of course monthly dividends for Evolution token holders are coming tomorrow 1st February.

15. CarpeDecred

CarpeDecred New Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Male
    After not staking for a while I am getting back into it. Can someone either explain to me how to set up the config files to use ticketbuyer.conf so i can auto purchase with a stake pool? Like I am totally clueless. Where are these files or do i need to create them? Do i need to have dcrd, dcrwalltet, and dcrctl running and then open the conf file? sorry, total noob here. If there is a walkthrough someone please post a link.

16. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    Have you tried already to register in the stakepool? There are step by step instructions and also config example for ticketbuyer.
    What OS do you use? In linux path to your dcrticketbuyer config file should be: ~/.dcrticketbuyer/ticketbuyer.conf

Please join official decred slack here: https://slack.decred.org/ and write PM to @Dyrk so I can help you to configure everything faster.

17. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    Today I've updated stakepool software. Now we are ready for new Paymethus release.
    You can find your private API token in the profile. You can use it both for integration with Paymethus GUI or if you want to access your mining stats through the API ( response is stringified JSON )

[​IMG]

18. jrick

jrick Member
    Developer

Jan 4, 2016
    Male
    Just saw your pool show up in the available listing when testing it today. Thanks for updating!

19. CarpeDecred

CarpeDecred New Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Male
    @Dyrk I have joined the stake pool and do see the directions for it. I have already imported the script and I am literally at the step where I have to update the Config files, but now am stuck. I am running Windows 64bit. To be honest I would not mind using paymetheus to purchase tickets manually, but even then things get tricky because of there being no explanation on how to use paymetheus out there, like do I set pool fee to 5 or 0.05? But that is a separate point I will be addressing elsewhere. For now I just need help with the command line conf files.

20. Dyrk

Dyrk Sr. Member
    Developer

Jan 7, 2016
    Male
    Wonderland
    Hey @CarpeDecred, you can join this chat https://gitter.im/Dyrk/decred-dashboard or official decred slack and contact @Dyrk for the fast help.

There is this guide: https://docs.decred.org/mining/proof-of-stake/
    But if you have questions, it's better to discuss in the chat.