Launch Testnet Stake Pool Is Live

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by tacotime, Feb 12, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Neurosploit

Neurosploit New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    .NET Software Engineer
    Amsterdam
    How can I check the ticket price on mainnet?

2. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    The majority of the code is RPC calls to dcrwallet so the requirements are pretty low no matter the volume.

3. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    Neurosploit likes this.
  4. nikos1978

nikos1978 New Member

Feb 17, 2016
    Male
    Can I mining at pool
    With web wallet
    Or not?

5. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    It will not be possible to stake mine via the pool using only the web wallet at initial launch because it lacks the ability to get the necessary information requested by the stake pool. Obviously it should eventually support it.

6. jyap

jyap New Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Is the Testate Stake Pool working?... Because I have around 30 tickets on there, most purchased when this thread launched. None of which has staked.

7. h3rtl31n

h3rtl31n New Member
    Translator (Deutsch)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    @davecgh @jolan is there any ETA for the PoS pool ? Block 4096 is coming closer... ^^

8. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    It's been verified working as of this morning but It was definitely broken for a bit due to deployment issues. We're implementing statistics reporting so it's easier for the pool operator/users to know that the pool is working correctly:

9. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    We're finishing up the last of the features (see above) and then will get it rolled out ASAP.

kaida and h3rtl31n like this.
  10. Lucien

Lucien New Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Male
    May i have some testnet coins?thx
    TsopndgkayeX9bmm9ZYg792ttTiFCboVTLt

11. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
  12. h3rtl31n

h3rtl31n New Member
    Translator (Deutsch)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    @davecgh @jolan Any updates on the stake pool for the mainnet ? Should we start to solo stake or will the pool be ready at block 4096 ? :)

13. kaida

kaida New Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Information Security
    San Francisco, CA
    I gave up waiting and started solo staking. I needed to give myself enough time to buy tickets since it seems to only be able to buy one ticket per block assuming I'm not doing something horribly wrong to cause that.

14. bones261

bones261 New Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Male
    I hope that the stake pool for mainnet will be up and running soon. I am sure that some of the POW miners are losing their patience in having their subsidy reduced by missed votes, from time to time.

15. tacotime

tacotime Hero Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I believe this is coming today. The reason for the delay is due to a combination of code optimisation, infrastructure, and testing. These are all factors that make software-related dates complex. They are always to be taken as ETAs but as progress continues the ETAs become smaller and smaller. A frustration of the development process, but critically necessary and inherent.

16. jyap

jyap New Member

Feb 18, 2016
    .. Testnet stake pool seems totally dead and broken for me. Pages don't work, no actual completed Votes. Maybe this requires more testing?

chappjc likes this.
  17. Ubik

Ubik New Member
    Translator (Italiano)

Feb 12, 2016
    Very nice! I belive there are quite a few people like me who aren't enough tech savvy to do the solo staking.
    Really looking forward to this!

18. jy-p

jy-p Sr. Member
    Organizer

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    A lot of these missed votes seem to be due to some connectivity or configuration issue on part of a few particular pools, rather than people not having their voting wallets online and ready to vote.

This issue is discussed in another thread in this subforum and you've commented in it already :)

19. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    I agree with @jyap. This is not ready for mainnet. Both tickets & stats page show this.

[​IMG]

chappjc likes this.
  20. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    Yes there have been a lot of issues. Sorry for the lack of updates but there's been daily progress behind the scenes to make it much more stable.

Basic timeline:
    • Got a proof-of-concept working and released
    • Added support for allowing users to control their votes or defer decision making to the pool
    • Realized due to a deployment issue that the pool was not operating properly
    • We added stats so the pool operator/users could see the pool's history/status
    • Stats were too slow to be useful through WAN links with a large wallet
    • Stats speed was improved greatly
    • Lots of bug fixes and stability/reliability/debugging ability improvements in between the various steps above
    • When checking the faster stats code we found/fixed a bug that caused synchronized pool wallets to have different statistics
    • More instrumentation added for verifying wallets are in sync and restoring/syncing from a live wallet/SQL
    The last 2 items were just addressed late last night. We're hoping today's the day for a stable pool that clearly reports its status.

adam2312, chappjc, kaida and 3 others like this.