Launch Testnet Stake Pool Is Live

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by tacotime, Feb 12, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    Waiting for "Mainnet Stake Pool is Live" announcement. Feel like I am missing out on stake rewards by waiting but don't want to screw things up with command line staking.

Edit: Not complaining. Sorry I can't help with pool...suppose some programming skills would be a prerequisite.

Noah likes this.
  2. Noah

Noah Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Feb 1, 2016
    Male
    Amsterdam
    @Bill Threewits Exact same situation here! Especially since ticket prices are rising...

Let's hope they will release more information on PoS pool soon!

Bill Threewits likes this.
  3. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    #103 Bill Threewits, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    I gave in and learned something. Solo staking from $5+ now...Use @rohit pawar guide for launching a 24/7 wallet on Amazon's Web Service (AWS).

Been buying tickets for a full day now...I think. ;)

4. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    Got my first vote solo staking on Amazon Web Services. After adjusting security on AWS by limiting inbound port access, I feel secure. Someone tell me why I should want to join the pool.

All the info is available on this forum in the thread I referenced above. Be sure to limit the AWS instance according to those instructions to secure the doors (ports) to your staking wallet. It is not nearly as difficult as a newbie like me would think going in. Really, 30 mins to an hour to get it done and then wait a day for tickets to mature. Then sit back and watch votes and reinvestment begin according to your limits.

Emilio Mann likes this.
  5. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    @Bill Threewits: Glad to hear you got everything figured out! There really isn't any reason to join a pool if you have a voting-only hot wallet setup on AWS with redundancy as it sounds like you do here.

The main reason for a stake pool, at the current time, is for people who don't have access to a VPS or other setup with redundancy and don't want to purchase one. For example, there are a lot of people nowadays that only have a Macbook or similar where they aren't powered on or online all of the time. A stake pool is extremely beneficial for them.

In the future, I would expect that stake pools will also be useful for things like proportional reward sharing and allowing those who don't own enough coins individually to vote. As more coins are mined into existence and staking gets easier to do, it's pretty much a given that the ticket price will rise. Since many of the current users received a rather hefty airdrop and the price of coins is currently cheap, many of them have more than a trivial amount of coins. The result is that it's feasible, and not particularly difficult, to own enough coins in order to solo stake. However, if Decred is successful as we all hope, the price per coin will rise. Couple that with the aforementioned ticket price rising and suddenly you might be talking about more coins than many newcomers can feasibly obtain.

Bill Threewits likes this.
  6. Bill Threewits

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Banker
    North Carolina
    I am pretty certain that I speak for many; it is the fact that really smart guys like you are dedicated to this that many of us use to draft into our faith in Decred. This one seems different for the quality of the community.

adam2312 likes this.
  7. Fsig

Fsig Member
    Developer

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    Can someone send me some testnet coins: TsUqY3j5vaaLjbJKvqFm1DESj6g5abBhJXm

8. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
  9. Fsig

Fsig Member
    Developer

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Australia
  10. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    When is the Mainnet stake pool coming live?

11. Noah

Noah Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Feb 1, 2016
    Male
    Amsterdam
    Good question, I hope as soon as possible! ;)

12. Ubik

Ubik New Member
    Translator (Italiano)

Feb 12, 2016
    I feel like we could use an ETA or atleast an update on the progress...

13. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    Hi,

teststakepool.decred.org was updated on Friday and was tested over the weekend.

The main thing we're working on right now is adding caching and rate limiting to increase performance/reduce the load on the wallet RPC servers. For example, right now the tickets page is pretty unusable with hundreds/thousands of tickets.

We're also looking into why the synced wallets are currently off by a single ticket. (This causes the stats page on the live site to error out).

I don't think this was well explained before. The stake pool is a basic web interface that does RPC commands to multiple wallets and then cross-checks the responses. If the responses aren't 100% the same it either errors out or dies depending on the importance of the RPC call. We basically designed it to be fragile so we could shake out bugs and we've gotten most of them now.

sambiohazard likes this.
  14. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Very cool. Thanks for the update. :)

15. Ayush

Ayush Full Member
    Advocate (Facebook)

Jan 9, 2016
    Male
    Great!
    Eagerly waiting.....

16. Noah

Noah Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Feb 1, 2016
    Male
    Amsterdam
    Well, I decided to start contributing to the development (instead of just waiting for mainnet).

If you have some spare time, it would be great if you can send me testcoins:
    Tsh4fFg7jkYpCbdHA2Wg9uXtN1dZ8XemxSG​

adam2312 likes this.
  17. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    Noah likes this.
  18. Noah

Noah Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Feb 1, 2016
    Male
    Amsterdam
  19. davecgh

davecgh Hero Member
    Developer Organizer

Dec 31, 2015
    Male
    United States
    That looks like a block explorer display bug to me. I can see the transaction is confirmed via the following:

$ dcrctl --testnet getrawtransaction 0124be5730f5c59ccc61a507d587c1967f63e882ed586093af98db10ed568961 1 | grep confirmations
    "confirmations": 379,

Your wallet should see the balance.

20. Noah

Noah Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Feb 1, 2016
    Male
    Amsterdam
    My wallet still displays pending confirmation:

pending.PNG

Should I raise a ticket at GitHub? If yes, could you give me a link to the correct page?