Trying To Build My First Gpu Mining Rig

Discussion in 'Rigs' started by Reynold, Feb 26, 2016.

1. oslak

oslak
    Expand Collapse

Hi can someone pls give instruction on how to mine solo on windows 7? I am mining at supernova at the moment. Diificulty is not that high. I think i can still mine solo.

2. thijsjuhhh

thijsjuhhh
    Expand Collapse

3. oslak

oslak
    Expand Collapse

@thijsjuhhh thanks. I think will stay with the pool at the moment. It's similar somehow with ethereum. Which is more profitable? solo or pool?

4. thijsjuhhh

thijsjuhhh
    Expand Collapse

Depends on your total hash rate and luck. I would stick to a pool really unless you have something like this:
    [​IMG]
    But that's just my opinion

5. oslak

oslak
    Expand Collapse

@thijsjuhhh Is that yours? I have about half of that, 1 shelf 20 gpu. 5 gpu each rig but cleaner. :) Zip ties help.

6. thijsjuhhh

thijsjuhhh
    Expand Collapse

Lol no. That isnt mine. It's just from google ;)
    If you have 20gpu's it might be better for you to solo mine tho. But as said, it also depends on you luck.

7. oslak

oslak
    Expand Collapse

@thijsjuhhh creating your own node for solo mining is quite complicated. How many have you mined so far?

8. thijsjuhhh

thijsjuhhh
    Expand Collapse

I only do this for the fun, not to make money really. I mine with 1 rig with only 3 gpu's. I just want to see how the decred project is going to develop any further.

9. Donald Chapman

Donald Chapman
    Expand Collapse

I am thinking about a whole new (open) frame sort of like Johnshpon3 posted pics of above. Aluminium is very easy to work with and readily available. I would not suggest closing up six GPU cards into the case Reynold has without liquid cooling them, and that is beyond me!

Reynold likes this.
  10. Reynold

Reynold
    Expand Collapse

@thijsjuhhh, this is a Thermaltake case. Every side is vented, top, bottom, all sides except for the clear plastic panel. It has huge fans that come with it standard and can support liquid cooled radiators. I was planning to setup exit fan arrays at the top and intake fan arrays at the bottom when I get the GPU's lined up where I want them.

My single GPU is currently plugged straight into the motherboard and overclocked to a steady 1.587 GH/s and still running at 77 C. See my thread for Overclocking the R9 280x on Ubuntu. I'm watching the heat very carefully and it's been steady.

11. Reynold

Reynold
    Expand Collapse

@Donald Chapman, I'm not sure Thermaltake counts as a "closed" case, it's vented on all sides (except front plastic window) with huge fans where you can control the air flow.

Here is a closer look. See all the fan mounts literally everywhere?

IMG_7209.JPG

The bottom has a similar array of fan mounts.

I have to find a few brackets similar to the one holding the motherboard and set those up on top where I can screw in the GPU's and get them on the risers. They can fit sideways up there.

12. LastNinja

LastNinja
    Expand Collapse

Call it what you like, but the case will hurt badly. Sometimes one of my cards shows a slightly higher temperature than the others and the reason is that one power cable is placed a little bit more close to the exit vent of the card, say 10cm instead of 12cm behind the exit vent. The cards are on totally open rigs, so you would assume that since the entire hemisphere is open and there is lots of place between each card, that one thin cable in 10cm distance makes no difference. It does.

Those cases are for gamers, not for miners.

sambiohazard and Reynold like this.
  13. sigwo

sigwo
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. This is a picture of my mining rig setup.

Attached Files:

Reynold likes this.
  14. Reynold

Reynold
    Expand Collapse

Ok, let me re-classify my current setup as a "well ventilated gamer case that I'm trying to fit GPU's into".

If it fails to achieve the temperatures and hash rates I'm going for, I'll have to move the innards into a different case. Since this is incomplete currently, I'm already thinking of what my 2nd mining rig will look like.

At worst, I have a new case for an awesome gaming computer when it's re-fitted.

I appreciate all of you. :)

15. Reynold

Reynold
    Expand Collapse

Well, so it continues... 9 new fans later.

IMG_7211.JPG
    IMG_7212.JPG
    IMG_7213.JPG

Now running at 73 C with all these fans when closed. When I take the sides and top off, it is 70 C.

16. Bagdar13

Bagdar13
    Expand Collapse

Reynold likes this.
  17. Reynold

Reynold
    Expand Collapse

Well, this was an interesting project which I should post some pictures now.

3 Cards on top floor. 3 on bottom.

IMG_7776.JPG

Held in place by some 3d printed risers and clamps.

IMG_7777.JPG

Man, this thing needs dusting, sorry about that, just wanted to take some pictures. These have been running for many months now.

IMG_7778.JPG

They are hooked into some angle iron.

IMG_7779.JPG

I have 2 rigs with this configuration, may build more like this later. They are stackable.

I did also built an open air rig and they are a lot easier to maintain (cable weise) although keep your cats away from them. :D

18. vavanjukebox

vavanjukebox
    Expand Collapse

I didn't have that configuration in mind. I thought to put the mobo at the bottom (I/O shield through the psu hole) and the GPUs attached on top where the fans are.

#38 vavanjukebox, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  19. jcv

jcv
    Expand Collapse
    Developer

All your pictures in this are making me very jealous and want to build something. Unfortunately, my electric rates are not really conducive to mining things :(

20. vavanjukebox

vavanjukebox
    Expand Collapse

FYI, me and my 2 other partners are making a rig with a Thermaltake X9 white snow edition and 6 MSI RX 480 4G GAMING X. Just to buy a Super Flower LEADEX 1600w Titanium PSU and we are ready to start.
    I'll post some pictures asap... in 10 days I think.