Tutorial: Getting A Dedicated Chain Server Set Up On Your Raspberry Pi 2

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by ClokworkGremlin, Jan 30, 2016.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Interesting! My RPi2 is plenty fast enough to PoS.
    The thing I would want to see is better throughput on USB and ETH. Using a USB HD and heavy ETH can cause noticeable pauses. Also more RAM would be great. The bump from 32 to 64 bit is welcome.
    The simple fact that they can do this profitably at $35 is pretty amazing in and of itself.

2. ClokworkGremlin

ClokworkGremlin Sr. Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Well I wouldn't do Stake mining on it (as Muggsy said, my Pi 2 is PoS mining quite adequately, and I would never mine cryptocoins using a Wi-Fi connection), but with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, it would probably make a good home stereo system, and it shouldn't be hard to scratch together a web interface to control it from your smartphone. Probably make a decent Minecraft server for running Direwolf20 packs on, too, though I wish they'd increase the RAM. That's been the main bottleneck I've run into.

3. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    WIFI and PoS mining on RPi do not mix for sure. Using ETH works great with a dedicated PoS RPi2!

4. MiloIce

MiloIce Jr. Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    There are Ethernet cables to plug from as well, wifi is just an add on if I read the article correctly =D

5. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Yes wifi is an add on for the RPi3 as in onboard. With previous RPi you had to use a USB dongle for wifi.

6. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    #46 ClokworkGremlin, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    It's more that I already have a Pi 2 that's perfectly adequate for PoS mining, though I also expect the price for the Pi 2 to go down (or the Pi 3 to go up after the launch sale ends). The Pi 2 also uses 75% as much power as the Pi 3.

They're also saying that they're going to see if there's a reason to release a 64-bit Raspbian build for the 64-bit architecture. Now, there are some advantages inherent in 64-bit architecture over 32-bit, but the primary advantage is the ability to address more than 4GB of memory space, which isn't really that useful if the board only has 1GB of onboard memory. I'm hoping they'll come to that same conclusion and at very least release a board with 2GB or expandable memory, which would also make the new boards more useful as cheap dedicated gaming servers.

7. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Lets put that in context though. The RPi2 uses 3-4watts. So the RPi3 uses 4-5watts?!? A 25% increase at those levels is still minimal if even noticeable.

8. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    up to 2.5A, which might also necessitate a different power supply, since most USB power supplies will only deliver up to 2.1A.

9. drunkenmugsy

drunkenmugsy Sr. Member
    Advocate (Reddit)

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    #49 drunkenmugsy, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Totally relevant link about RPi3 removed at request of OP. See my signature.

10. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    As excited as I'm sure you are about the prospect of getting a $35 computer for nothing, I would prefer if you didn't clutter up my tutorial thread with stuff like that.

11. Aniara

Aniara Jr. Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Female
    Etiennien
    The cheap and now available RPi3 is a hefty amount faster than the 2, shame about the GPU though. But nothing you need while running a wallet. Then again you need 64 bit Raspbian to do it fully justice.

Geekbench 2.4.2

Pi 3 - 2086

Integer 1641
    Floating point 3353
    Memory 1204
    Stream 978

Pi 2 - 1302

Integer - 998
    floating point - 2126
    Memory - 729
    Stream - 631

ClokworkGremlin likes this.
  12. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    The ODROID-C2 was just released as well and is a good alternative for a few dollars more. It has a faster CPU w/heatsink, gigabit ethernet, 2GB RAM, and there's 64-bit Ubuntu/Arch Linux ARM distros available for it.

Aniara, David and ClokworkGremlin like this.
  13. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    Now we're talking.

How much effort does setup involve? I think the community and setup guides are where the Pi still dominates.

14. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    It's the same as the Raspberry Pi. Install an OS to SD/eMMC or purchase a pre-flashed image, boot it, install go/git, and fetch/build the code.

Only took me a couple of minutes to get setup and running on mine.

15. Lee Sharp

Lee Sharp Sr. Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Independent Consultant
    Houston, Texas
    Personally, I am loving older thin clients. They used to be all Geode, but now Atom systems are finding their way on to eBay for under $75. And it is just another PC to Linux.

16. Aniara

Aniara Jr. Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Female
    Etiennien
    Yes, for a fully scaled linux machine, a small type of x86-64 is the best choice, TBH. It's much more allround, you can run almost any windows or such too. I have an ATOM system with Debian for these things. But that's just me. :)

17. sambiohazard

sambiohazard Sr. Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Will this work with odroid devices? Also will PiDrive work with odroid? I was thinking of using a odroid & a pidrive for running multiple staking/fullnodes for various coins i have.

18. Aniara

Aniara Jr. Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Female
    Etiennien
    The Linux code for ARMv8 or earlier will work on Odroid and so on, I believe you can compile them for it too. make & makeconfig and all that probably works fine.

19. jolan

jolan Sr. Member
    Developer

Dec 7, 2015
    Male
    Decred Team Member
    FYI, the releases now also include linux-arm64 binaries.

20. ClokworkGremlin

Jan 10, 2016
    Male
    Whatever I want.
    That'll be handy for your non-Pi 64-bit machines, or if the Raspberry Pi guys ever decide to make a 64-bit Raspbian build.

I'd like to say, I really appreciate the way C0 has included ARM support from day 1. Most Bitcoin and altcoin-related projects either don't support ARM at all or require the end user to compile binaries from source.

Looking at you, OpenBazaar.

sambiohazard likes this.