Used "automatic Purchase" To Buy Tickets. Safe?

Discussion in 'Questions' started by jaywhy, Dec 9, 2017.

1. 2017/12/15 - Decred v1.1.2 released! → Release Notes  → Downloads
  1. jaywhy

jaywhy New Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Female
    Melbourne
    Hi guys,

I felt daring today and went into my decrediton wallet, joined https://stakepool.dcrstats.com and when into Tickets -> Automatic Purchase and enabled it. I can see that it has bought 8 tickets for me, all confirmed. I didn't change any of the settings so it's used the default.

I have couple of questions and would appreciate if someone could answer them.

1) Is there a risk of me losing my decreds?
    2) when will i get my decreds back?
    3) is there any chance of my tickets never resolving/voting and my decreds being stuck?

I'm sorry if some of these questions sound stupid. Trying to get up to speed with decred :)

Thanks

2. Dezryth

Dezryth New Member
    Advocate (Twitter)

Jan 12, 2016
    Male
    Systems Software Engineer
    Plano, TX
    #2 Dezryth, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    1) Nope, it's completely safe with a few things to be aware of. Tickets bought in this manner are treated exactly the same as tickets bought in any other manner.

This setting will not work if you close Decrediton. In fact, if you close and reopen Decrediton you'll find the setting has been placed back to disabled. This is because your wallet must be open and unlocked in order for this feature to work.

I'm not familiar with dcrwallet's features as far as attempting to transact while that setting in use or what Decrediton may have built on top of that for increased security, but if you were to use this feature from the command line, I believe your private phrase would not be requested to send a transaction. This is a security risk if there are others who can access your open and unlocked wallet. Maybe someone else can chime in here and clarify.

2) Usually somewhere around 28-144 days, with most tickets voting in around a months time.
    3) No greater chance than usual, which is miniscule. Tickets can be missed, but even in that scenario you can receive your DCR back, minus the initial fee.